Apple adds in-app purchase warning to 'freemium' App Store titles

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Attempting to lessen the incidence of unauthorized excessive in-app purchases, Apple quietly added a feature to App Store listings that points out when a free app features paid in-app content.

in app

Users browsing the App Store today will notice that, underneath the "Free" price of some apps, there is a subtle note that the app "Offers In-App Purchases." The warning is currently only featured on the desktop-version of the App Store, but it may be making its way to the iOS version soon.

In-app purchases have been a point of contention for some iOS users, who assert that it is too easy to make inadvertent or unauthorized buys in third-party titles. In 2011, a Phoenixville, PA, man filed suit against Apple, claiming that the company had been allowed to "pocket millions of dollars" on unauthorized purchases, calling for Apple to revamp its password policy to prevent such transactions. Apple moved to settle the case in late February of this year, offering claimants $5 iTunes credits and refunds for claims over $30.

More recently, a Belfast boy charged ?980 to his parents' iTunes account buying in-game donuts in an iOS Simpsons game. Apple refunded the money to the boy's parents, though the parents expressed concern that the same could happen to other people. Shortly before that incident, a five-year-old in Britain charged ?1,700 to his parents credit cards while playing the game Zombie.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

How about putting a dark red box around it?! My stars. I standing ovate Apple's subtlety in design (the iCloud status page, for one), but this is something that shouldn't be.

Like their blue boxes that say "New" and their orange boxes that say "Coming soon" or "Beta", this should be a red box with white text.

• Reply 2 of 32
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about putting a dark red box around it?! My stars. I standing ovate Apple's subtlety in design (the iCloud status page, for one), but this is something that shouldn't be.

Like their blue boxes that say "New" and their orange boxes that say "Coming soon" or "Beta", this should be a red box with white text.

How about some perspective? Not all in-app purchases are bad.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Love the political wording.

• Reply 4 of 32

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

How about some perspective? Not all in-app purchases are bad.

Thanks for claiming I said that ANY of them were. Nice strawman.

• Reply 5 of 32
    ireland wrote: »
    Love the political wording.

How should it be worded?
  • Reply 6 of 32

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How should it be worded?

Economically.

• Reply 7 of 32
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member
    Knew not Skil was Coolidge kin.
  • Reply 8 of 32

Quote:

I absolutely agree on this, Apple is the best at making things beautiful, and I am sure they could pull it off. But wouldn't it have to be on a case-by-case basis? As someone said, not all in-app purchases are bad, but for those games that rely on the freemium model, I think it would certainly be an asset.

That's not to say that an iPad is a replacement for good parenting...

• Reply 9 of 32
    Sorry to be dumb, but isn't a password required for in-app purchases?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Gonna get me some Smurfberries!

• Reply 11 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

I disagree. The fact that an app OFFERS in-app purchases (which most people will not even utilize) does not need to scream for attention. It's pretty low importance in the heirarchy of information, and believe it or not, a large chunk of people do not even understand what it means. making it more attention grabbing would be counter productive, especially making it red, as that denotes a warning, or a negative point which I'm sure Apple would rather avoid. 

• Reply 12 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How should it be worded?

Under the "Free" button it should say "sort of" in brackets :)

• Reply 13 of 32
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member
    I hate fremium apps, I would rather pay the coin to get the full app than pay to play each and every little part just to enjoy the game. I won't buy the latest racing game for this reason alone. On Android its actually worse, I paid for my Angry Birds apps and when they went free with ads I get screwed with ads now. Ad Blockers do help, but now that I am on iOS again I have paid for apps and don't bother with free ad based apps.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    blackfrog wrote: »

Where have you been? Guess you didn't hear about the kid that racked up over £1000 using IAPs?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    I hate fremium apps, I would rather pay the coin to get the full app than pay to play each and every little part just to enjoy the game. I won't buy the latest racing game for this reason alone. On Android its actually worse, I paid for my Angry Birds apps and when they went free with ads I get screwed with ads now. Ad Blockers do help, but now that I am on iOS again I have paid for apps and don't bother with free ad based apps.

That makes no sense, there's 2 versions of Angry Birds, the paid and the free with ads. If you got the paid version there's no way you'd see ads.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

That's not to say that an iPad is a replacement for good parenting...

Exactly!!!!

• Reply 17 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

? As someone said, not all in-app purchases are bad, but for those games that rely on the freemium model, I think it would certainly be an asset.

and have them sued for unfair treatment?

mark them all

• Reply 18 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    blackfrog wrote: »

Honestly, I want to know the same thing. In app purchases are shut off on my phone.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    Tired of this in-app purchase drama...this small warning label won't stop any unwanted in-app purchases from kids...just make the process more difficult or pass the refund cost to developer. There is no way this problem can be resolve without anyone admitting any wrong doing: greedy developer vs Apple's 30% cut vs parents that shouldn't put a $300~700 device in a young child's hands without taking some responsibility.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Tired of this in-app purchase drama...this small warning label won't stop any unwanted in-app purchases from kids...just make the process more difficult or pass the refund cost to developer. There is no way this problem can be resolve without anyone admitting any wrong doing: greedy developer vs Apple's 30% cut vs parents that shouldn't put a $300~700 device in a young child's hands without taking some responsibility.

You're right it won't stop the problem. The only way is to give the kid their own iPad with their own Apple id, and have no credit card on that apple id. Charge it up with gift cards only.