Chromebook pixel count spurs Apple marketing shift

Comments

• Reply 61 of 212
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

It's a lousy product. There's no way you can create high-end applications for it since you can't actually write native code for it. All it does is run Web Apps inside a browser based OS. It's only good for basic tasks like e-mail, browsing, social interaction or creating basic documents. You can't do anything requiring graphical power (photo or video editing, illustration or even games). It would be useless for web developers since you don't have a way to check your website on multiple browsers for compatibility. You can't code or develop software on it since you're never going to see a Web App compiler (well, they could off-load the compiling to a third party but what programmer is going to trust their code to someone else to compile?).

And when you try and rape people $1,300 for a high-end version it's downright stupid. High-end hardware that lacks the software to do any high-end work.

Bottom line: great for simple tasks, useless for real work.

Since you get $1800 worth of cloud storage [1TB for three years]  for your $1300, maybe not so stupid?

• Reply 62 of 212
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

In all fairness, I didn't understand your point either.

The article implied that Apple stopped advertising the retina MacBook Pro as its superlative due to the Chromebook, but images taken from the very page the article references prove that wrong.

• Reply 63 of 212
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. Go read our posts. You'll understand what we're talking about immediately by actually reading them.

You know, you could grow a pair and actually reply in a clear and concise manner outlining why my post is inaccurate or you could continue to attack without really saying anything or, here's a radical thought .... just STFU ... your move.

• Reply 64 of 212
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Calling ChromeOS a "browser-based operating system developed by Google" is a bit of a stretch. It's just Linux designed to only run one app: Chrome.

So used also say WebOS is just running a browser OS, too?

mstone wrote: »
    Registered or certified just makes it available for enterprise and governments that require it. Linux is every bit as UNIX as SunOS or Solaris. As far as the kernel is concerned, it mostly manages the file system, memory, network, and devices, etc. There is a lot more to Unix than the kernel. Linux has all of the same libraries, drivers, and binaries as any full fledged certified UNIX. So it being Unix-like is enough Unix to run virtually anything that certified Unix can run.

So how is it that Google should drop Android and Chrome OS and adopt Linux when it's already Linux? :???:
  • Reply 65 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Who cares? It's clear the only reason google did it is for bragging rights. The computer is pretty much a $2200 web browser with a useless OS, barely any storage space, and an inability to run any real, professional apps. It's infinitely more useless than my MacBook Air at near double the price - but hey, it has alot of pixels! Win!

Where did you find one for $2200? It is $1300 with wi-fi, $1500 for LTE, with either you get $1800 worth of cloud storage, so, if you can use the storage, quite a good deal. If not, perhaps you should get something else (but be sure not to overpay by a factor of two).

• Reply 66 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

The Nexus has always been Google's subtle way of telling the OEMs 'Ok, this is how you build an android phone.' For the most part, it has been pretty successful:

Prior to the Nexus One, Android phones were kind've all over the place in regards to screen size/resolution and buttons -- we had phones with 2.5, 3, 3.5" screens, 320x240, 640x480, 854x480 resolutions. We had phones with 3 buttons (omitting search), 6 buttons (all 4 + send and end), and everything in between.

Then the nexus one comes out with a 3.7" 800x480 display, and the 4 capacitive buttons

After that, you pretty much expect android phones to have the iconic 4 capacitive buttons, and a 800x480 display.

The nexus S pushed NFC heavily, and although slow to catch on at first, almost every new android phone I can think of includes it now.

Then when phones started to stray in display (we started getting 4.3, 4.5", 800x480 and 960x540 displays), the Galaxy Nexus comes out with a 4.7" 720p screen and onscreen buttons. The latter still hasn't really caught on yet, but how many 720p android phones have come out since? I've lost count.

But it seems that the high end is now 1080p, so the OEMs have moved ahead of Google again...

• Reply 67 of 212
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So how is it that Google should drop Android and Chrome OS and adopt Linux when it's already Linux? image

Not sure but booting a linux-like kernel and then running everything in a java-like Davlik VM is certainly not the same as Linux proper. I have no idea what makes up Chrome and have no interest in finding out. Not that I had any interest in Android either but just happened to remember some details I read somewhere by accident.

• Reply 68 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Incredibly ironic that the Chromebook Pixel is exactly what the "anything but Apple" claims of the iPad:

Expensive

Insecure

Unupgradeable

Walled

While some of the preceding claims may be true of the iPad the claims are even more true of the Chromebook Pixel.

1. If you need the cloud storage, the chromebook pixel costs either $-500 or $-300. How is this expensive? 

2. Insecure? Google certainly advertises the opposite, what is your evidence?

3+4 yes, so?

• Reply 69 of 212
    Not sure but booting a linux-like kernel and then running everything in a java-like Davlik VM is certainly not the same as Linux proper. I have no idea what makes up Chrome and have no interest in finding out. Not that I had any interest in Android either but just happened to remember some details I read somewhere by accident.

What is Linux proper? I consider being able to do typical tasks from a command line in any other Linux distro as proper. From experience with Chromium tells me it's exactly like other distros of Linux. Just turn on Developer Mode to get access to the shell. I think the default root password is: passwd.

I simply don't get this attitude that it's not a real OS if the UI isn't designed the way one expects. Doesn't anyone remember the complaints that Mac OS wasn't a real OS because it didn't have a shell that could be accessed or that iOS wasn't a real OS because of other silly reasons. None of these excuses are factual or accurate. Aren't Process Management, Memory Management, File System Management, and Device Management still the requirements for an OS?
  • Reply 70 of 212
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You know, you could grow a pair and actually reply in a clear and concise manner outlining why my post is inaccurate or you could continue to attack without really saying anything or, here's a radical thought .... just STFU ... your move.

So instead of reading anything whatsoever any number of times, you resort to personal attacks.

Enjoy that lifestyle.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is Linux proper?

Any flavor of Linux with these programs installed.

• Reply 71 of 212
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky

A few college students carry Surface RT tablets so they can throw them around like frisbies and practice clicking and clacking them in unison.

I thought that rough default KB would be effective as a door mat.

Being serious it would be my concern it would wear out the tips of my fingers!

• Reply 72 of 212
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Feel I should elaborate about my previous comment: I don't want Apple to move to a cloud-software system. I won't buy the Pixel. I hate cloud systems. I want an Apple-branded, simple-stupid, own-cloud-at-home-solution for server-style stuff, and standard-classic software running onmy own computer in my own home .

NO YEARLY FEE, NO UNWANTED UPGRADES.

OFFICE 360, ADOBE CLOUD? GTFO.

• Reply 73 of 212
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What is Linux proper? I consider being able to do typical tasks from a command line in any other Linux distro as proper. From experience with Chromium tells me it's exactly like other distros of Linux. Just turn on Developer Mode to get access to the shell. I think the default root password is: passwd.

I simply don't get this attitude that it's not a real OS if the UI isn't designed the way one expects. Doesn't anyone remember the complaints that Mac OS wasn't a real OS because it didn't have a shell that could be accessed or that iOS wasn't a real OS because of other silly reasons. None of these excuses are factual or accurate. Aren't Process Management, Memory Management, File System Management, and Device Management still the requirements for an OS?

Most likely an instance of mirroring all the ridiculous arguments aimed at Apple iOS over the past six years.
  • Reply 74 of 212
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is Linux proper? 

GNU

• Reply 75 of 212
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Where did you find one for $2200? It is $1300 with wi-fi, $1500 for LTE, with either you get $1800 worth of cloud storage, so, if you can use the storage, quite a good deal. If not, perhaps you should get something else (but be sure not to overpay by a factor of two).

My bad. Still an insanely bad value for what it is, and its utility. As for the $1800 for 1TB online storage, in all seriousness, there may be a tiny percentage of people in certain use case scenarios who will actually use this storage, but for most people, it just doesn't make any sense and is not worth any $. These days free services provide more than enough cloud storage for most people, and I don't see many situations where uploading a TB to the cloud is feasible or desirable, especially for consumer use. And that will not change anytime soon. The fact that it eventually expires makes it even more ridiculous, especially with that amount of data, and at that time you have no option except somehow downloading it all and transferring it to another service, or pay a ludicrous fee to keep it there.

At the end of the day, the Pixel is an incredibly ill conceived hardware product, as Google often releases. The ONLY advantage of buying a chrome based laptop was the low price. Thats it.

• Reply 76 of 212
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

1. If you need the cloud storage, the chromebook pixel costs either $-500 or $-300. How is this expensive? 

2. Insecure? Google certainly advertises the opposite, what is your evidence?

3+4 yes, so?

So you get the ChromeBook with LTE.  That 1TB will cost (over LTE) about $10/GB so read and write it 1 time (2TB of access) will be about $20,000.

If you are going to count the 1TB as a minus cost, I will count the cost of bandwidth toward the device.

• Reply 77 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

My bad. Still an insanely bad value for what it is, and its utility. As for the $1800 for 1TB online storage, in all seriousness, there may be a tiny percentage of people in certain use case scenarios who will actually use this storage, but for most people, it just doesn't make any sense and is not worth any $. These days free services provide more than enough cloud storage for most people, and I don't see many situations where uploading a TB to the cloud is feasible or desirable, especially for consumer use. And that will not change anytime soon. The fact that it eventually expires makes it even more ridiculous, especially with that amount of data. 

I don't necessarily disagree, though I have had occasions where I needed to share several hundred GB databases  of experimental data with people. So, there is a small market for the storage. Unfortunately, the fact that the chromebook is not a real unix is a major problem.  After having written the previous sentence, I saw this:

http://www.chromebookhq.com/five-best-online-ides-making-the-switch-to-a-chromebook/, so maybe this is not so bad....

• Reply 78 of 212
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The article implied that Apple stopped advertising the retina MacBook Pro as its superlative due to the Chromebook, but images taken from the very page the article references prove that wrong.

But the images you posted are still true if you consider display resolution as pixel count.

I had no idea what your images you posted were trying to prove.

• Reply 79 of 212
    GNU

So if it contains any software under its brand that is not wholly free per GNU, save for non-GNU kernels, you won't say its Linux even though it looks like Linux, works like Linux, acts like Linux, and does everything else a basic Linux distro does? Doesn't Red Hat Enterprise come with software that doesn't fall under GNU? Wouldn't that make it non-Linux in your eyes?
  • Reply 80 of 212
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Bottom line: great for simple tasks, useless for real work.

They put out video guides on how to do things like how to backup a Chromebook, how to setup a Chromebook but the latest ad is the most honest:

Second place in resolution to a Macbook Pro and second place in usefulness to a potato.