Briefly: First chapter of 'official' Jobs biographic manga goes on sale in Japan

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A 14-page preview of the eponymous Steve Jobs manga was posted to the Web on Monday, with the first panels giving a look at how author Mari Yamazaki plans to to tell the tale of the late Apple co-founder.

Jobs Manga

Japanese manga publishing house Kodansha released the first images of "Steve Jobs," which were subsequently posted to Yahoo Japan's online bookstore, as the title's first chapter hit store shelves today in the April issue of the company's Kiss magazine, reports blog Crunchyroll. Interestingly, Kiss is a monthly Josei manga serial, or a publication targeting the young adult to adult female demographic.

Reportedly recognized as the official adaptation of Walter Isaacson's authorized biography, the comic is being penned by noted manga artist and winner of the Manga Taishō and a Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, Mari Yamazaki.

Told from Isaacson's point of view, "Steve Jobs" starts in 2004 with Jobs asking the biographer to write his life story. Isaacson, who previously wrote the biographies of Albert Einstein and Benjamin Franklin, waits to start work in earnest until Jobs' wife Laurene Powell-Jobs calls to break news that the tech guru is in the late stages of pancreatic cancer.

The remaining panels show Isaacson describing his first impressions of Jobs, an early interview session, and background that sets the stage for the manga's coming installations.

"Steve Jobs" will continue in Kiss next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Can anyone out there translate the speech bubbles?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Yay! talk about free publicity.

Oh, wait... Cosplayers....

Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.

• Reply 3 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes.

• Reply 4 of 16
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Won't this go down like the action figure?
    ascii wrote: »
    Yes.

Thank you. I think.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    "Yay! talk about free publicity"

Most everything on AppleInsider is PR according to Orwell.

%u201CJournalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.%u201D

%u2015 George Orwell
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    %u201CJournalism ....

That is Orwellian.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Can someone explain how a historical graphic novel can possibly work / be any good? To me it just seems to be a contradiction in terms. The graphic novel surely excels at high drama but equally I imagine it sucks big time at historical (and I guess in this case) truthful representation. At any rate - to buy this as an Apple fan is truly the depth of despair. 

[shakes head]

• Reply 8 of 16

I'm thinking about manga fans dressed in jeans and a black turtleneck, wearing full rimmed specks.

• Reply 9 of 16

In the panels above, Jobs is explaining why he thinks Schmidt is a dick.

• Reply 10 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Oh, wait... Cosplayers....

Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.

Unrelated to this comic, I have a pair of Levi 501s, New Balance tennis shoes, and a black mock turtleneck already. image

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

In the panels above, Jobs is explaining why he thinks Schmidt is a dick.

Shouldn't the bubbles be spiked, denoting shouting?

• Reply 11 of 16

Quote:

%u201CJournalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.%u201D

%u2015 George Orwell

Orwell wasn't an Apple fan.

He didn't like gadgets with no "off" buttons.

• Reply 12 of 16
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    paxman wrote: »
    Can someone explain how a historical graphic novel can possibly work / be any good? To me it just seems to be a contradiction in terms. The graphic novel surely excels at high drama but equally I imagine it sucks big time at historical (and I guess in this case) truthful representation. At any rate - to buy this as an Apple fan is truly the depth of despair. 
    [shakes head]

Steve Jobs, Apple founder and CEO during the day.

Ste-Jo, magical demon hunter fighting for humanity after the sun sets.

Super power? Reality distortion field (that was an easy one ;)

And we all know who the major demons are. Balmerog. Schmitzen. HellGates. Rubinomikon. And secret mastermind, KwonOhHyunzezub. (was running out of time for this last one, sorry - still work in progress. But he is mastermind, so he is allowed to change his identity every now and then, or even reveal his true self in season finale cliffhanger)

What? That could make some fun reading and watching. Like Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Will there be any giant robots or tentacle sex?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

It's difficult to understand the depth of the cultish behavior Jobs influenced worldwide. Can you imagine a manga about Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer... or the president of Samsung?

• Reply 15 of 16
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    It's difficult to understand the depth of the cultish behavior Jobs influenced worldwide. Can you imagine a manga about Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer... or the president of Samsung?

Honestly? Yes.

For Gates, at least.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Honestly? Yes.

For Gates, at least.

So... where is it?