Apple's iCloud reigning over the greenest data centers on the planet

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mechanic wrote: »
    According to iCringley:   "<span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;">When planning a data center each rack requires about six square feet of floor space. But for the sake of discussion let’s make that 10 square feet to allow for non-server areas in the building. One million square feet divided by 10 square feet per rack means 100,000 racks could be constructed in the Apple facility. That’s 7.2 million 1U servers unless the racks are built extra-high, in which case there could be more than 7.2million servers."</span>

<span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;">So it looks like apples facility can hold 100,000 racks.  which could hold 7.2 million 1u servers or if there extra high racks there could be more than 7.2 millions 1u servers.</span>

Cringely has never been shown to be all that competent in technical issues - especially servers.

I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the space in a typical server farm could be used by servers. They need room for walkways, cooling between the servers, chillers/HVAC, office space, power distribution systems, and so on. And all the server space isn't filled with servers, either. You need space for storage as well as space for networking.

Let's just say that it's a fair bet that the people who built this system know more about it than Cringely.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    I am beginning to believe that Green Peace has outlived their usefulness. They seem to be technically incompetent and make idiot statements with no basis in fact. This group should be praising Apple and Google and other "green" companies. These companies are leading the world to a better place which I thought that's what Green Peace was advocating!!!

If Green Peace persists in bad mouthing a company that is trying to make a serious difference with highly, efficient "green" data centers, paying the extra money to do the job right. I am appalled that Green Peace is still a viable entity! I believe that they should close shop and go home!!!!
  • Reply 63 of 64
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Typical. Not wanting to brag about low numbers, but doing it just the same. Gotta love Google ¡

Why wouldn't they want to brag about their data centers efficiency, and what makes you think they don't want to? Apple's rightly proud of their efforts too.

True, which is why I don't understand the remark that they could post such and such industry standard numbers, but aren't. Either you post it or you don't.