Apple's earnings predicted to shrink 14% in first half of 2013, but grow 15% to close the year

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    enature wrote: »
    This is utterly bizarre. The blinding force that makes Apple fans not see the obvious. The share price lost well over $200. What other proof you need that iPhone 5 underperformed? Of course, it outsold GS3. If it didn't AAPL would be under $300. It just did not sell enough. If Steve Jobs was alive, I am absolutely convinced that he would sense by early 2012 that a smartphone with a larger screen is easier to use, and iPhone 5 would have 5" stunning screen, be the easiest to use smartphone in the world, sell over 60 million and drive AAPL to over $800. But you have Tim Cook, a brilliant accountant but, who tragically, has no sense of products. He does not understand that small screen makes the phone harder to use for most tasks nowadays. 
    Anyway, I think no matter what arguments I use, some people just do not get it. Just like Tim Cook does not get it.

That's the stupidest argument ever. What part of "Record sales of the iPhone" don't you understand. They could not meet demand.

Enough with the "if Steve Jobs was alive" meme. Btw, Cook isn't an accountant.

A 4" phone is big enough for most people as proven by the sales/shipment numbers.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Gene Munster is the 19th best analyst on apple, out of a list of 40.  What do the people in the top 5 have to say about the next quarter?  That seems like it would be more interesting.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/17/apple-analysts-earnings-smackdown/

• Reply 43 of 59
    enatureenature Posts: 77member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Stop being stupid. There is no direct relationship between stock price and iPhone sales. 

Honestly, I posted my reasoning out of curiousity to prove to myself that no argument will convince Apple blinded fans to protect their own investment. If you have no money in Apple, then you can always convince yourself that you are right. But if you are long AAPL, then call me and my arguments whatever you like but in the end it is your losses that will show you how wrong you are. I see AAPL breaking this year's lows and crossing to $3XX sometime this year. 

• Reply 44 of 59
    Honestly, I posted my reasoning out of curiousity to prove to myself that no argument will convince Apple blinded fans to protect their own investment. If you have no money in Apple, then you can always convince yourself that you are right. But if you are long AAPL, then call me and my arguments whatever you like but in the end it is your losses that will show you how wrong you are. I see AAPL breaking this year's lows and crossing to $3XX sometime this year. 

Ah shit, you should be an analyst then. If Apple doesn't fall to 300 this year, will you leave for good?
  • Reply 45 of 59
    How long will it be before we start seeing so called experts dusting off "Beleaguered" as they attach it to Apple Inc? "Today, beleaguered Apple's share price was beaten down another $6 because the company sits on $137 Billion in cash and equivalents."
    Joe Benevides
    Macs4newbies.com
  • Reply 46 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Ah shit, you should be an analyst then. If Apple doesn't fall to 300 this year, will you leave for good?

No, I expect AAPL to cross $400 downward this year, i.e. enter $3XX. For example, $395 will do it. My long term target is indeed $300 based on what I see now happening with Apple. If radically new products and services come out that I feel are great, I will revise my target accordingly. 

I find all this talk about how great Apple is nowadays just disrespectful to Steve Jobs. This new crop of die-hard Apple fans actually show disrespect to Steve Jobs when they think that Tim Cook can push AAPL to record new highs.

• Reply 47 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by enature View Post

I find all this talk about how great Apple is nowadays just disrespectful to Steve Jobs. This new crop of die-hard Apple fans actually show disrespect to Steve Jobs when they think that Tim Cook can push AAPL to record new highs.

lol.

• Reply 48 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lol.

It's amazing how creative the warped mind of the anti-Apple troll can be.
  • Reply 49 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by skleiniv View Post

This has been a great forum regarding appl's stock. Very good points made here. Like some of you I agree the drop on price seems extreme based off the revenue being generated. This scenario can easily be looked at from both opposite directions. No company could sustain the growth rate and a reduction in that growth rate has to be expected. Expected or not, the stock tanked. Clearly anyone that held on, like me, has to acknowledge that we were on the wrong side of the trade, regardless of the reason. While I do believe the company will recover, it may not. It's a very interesting trade, upside potential seems high, yet, if they miss on the upcoming earnings the downside could be substantial. Can anybody off a solution? If I'm holding a few thousand shares what option method would you suggest to limit downside but still be able to participate in upside potential if they have a good report?

I think Apple have a number of key developments planned during 2013,one that caught my eye was they are rumoured to be considering an aquisition of a Uk based company called Motive Tv who have the key to live streaming television onto tablets and smartphones from anywhere in the world.I think this would be a major boost to apples general sales and keep them ahead of Asian competition in this area.I was looking at this company,s website earlier and thought this would be a great aquisition for apple if it goes ahead.

See Link

http://www.motivetelevision.co.uk/

• Reply 50 of 59
    No, I expect AAPL to cross $400 downward this year, i.e. enter $3XX. For example, $395 will do it. My long term target is indeed $300 based on what I see now happening with Apple. If radically new products and services come out that I feel are great, I will revise my target accordingly. 

Um Cook did drive Apple to record highs and record profits. Ok, if Apple doesn't fall under 400 this year, will you leave? Btw, I've used a Mac since 1992, not that it matters.
  • Reply 51 of 59

Is this better or worse than Netflix?

• Reply 52 of 59

Quote:

Um Cook did drive Apple to record highs and record profits. Ok, if Apple doesn't fall under 400 this year, will you leave?

The only credit Tim Cook gets is that he let Apple to coast on Steve Jobs built momentum. Once that ran out, the stock started its imminent decent.  Sure, your challenge is accepted under one condition: If AAPL manages to stay above $400 this year, I leave this site for good . However, if AAPL falls under $400 anytime this year, you sign off permanently. 

It is irresponsible to pump AAPL stock and encourage gullible investors to invest into this $ black-hole that Tim Cook made AAPL to be, while hedge-funds unload their holdings. People lost tens of millions (and by new revelations hundreds of millions of dollars) when Andy Zaky, another AAPL zealot, led them to slaughter and kept pumping the stock. 

I was one of the most ardent Apple fans and AAPL bulls till mid 2012, when I started to realize that there are fundamental problems with the company. After iPhone 5, I advised people to unload their shares and lock profits. 

• Reply 53 of 59
    The only credit Tim Cook gets is that he let Apple to coast on Steve Jobs built momentum. Once that ran out, the stock started its imminent decent.  Sure, your challenge is accepted under one condition: If AAPL manages to stay above $400 this year, I leave this site for good . However, if AAPL falls under $400 anytime this year, you sign off permanently. 

It is irresponsible to pump AAPL stock and encourage gullible investors to invest into this $ black-hole that Tim Cook made AAPL to be, while hedge-funds unload their holdings. People lost tens of millions (and by new revelations hundreds of millions of dollars) when Andy Zaky, another AAPL zealot, led them to slaughter and kept pumping the stock. 
    I was one of the most ardent Apple fans and AAPL bulls till mid 2012, when I started to realize that there are fundamental problems with the company. After iPhone 5, I advised people to unload their shares and lock profits. 

I forgot that during the 13 years as SVP/COO, all Cook did was play solitaire.

Zaky was right on the 4-5 previous calls. In addition, only one "analyst" recommended to sell Apple but he's been saying that for a couple years. In fact, he recommend to sell when Apple was at 200.

You're on.
  • Reply 54 of 59

Quote:

You're on.

Alright. You can think that Tim Cook and Andy Zaky are the greatest. Arguments are pointless. Put your actions where your thoughts are.  Are you up raise the bet a bit? If AAPL never falls below $400 in 2013, I leave this site AND paypal you $400. If, however, AAPL falls below $400 anytime this year, you leave the site and paypal me $400. 

Since you are so confident in your arguments, I hope you won't refuse to have easy extra $400... Deal?

• Reply 55 of 59

You can think that Tim Cook and Andy Zaky are the worst. Arguments are pointless.

Fixed that for you. You don't have an argument in the first place, since your statements are based on total lies.

• Reply 56 of 59
    Alright. You can think that Tim Cook and Andy Zaky are the greatest. Arguments are pointless. Put your actions where your thoughts are.  Are you up raise the bet a bit? If AAPL never falls below $400 in 2013, I leave this site AND paypal you $400. If, however, AAPL falls below $400 anytime this year, you leave the site and paypal me $400. 
    Since you are so confident in your arguments, I hope you won't refuse to have easy extra $400... Deal?

I could use the extra $400 but I don't trust trolls (concerned or otherwise) to pay up.
  • Reply 57 of 59

Quote:

I could use the extra $400 but I don't trust trolls (concerned or otherwise) to pay up.

Right. Kill the messenger. And accuse him/her of trolling. I think you guys are just all hot-air talk but have no guts to bet on your confidence in Apple.

You should have zero doubts about me paying up my part of the bet as you will know who I am. It's a matter of honor. Man's word.

• Reply 58 of 59

Philip Elmer-DeWitt

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fixed that for you. You don't have an argument in the first place, since your statements are based on total lies.

As about you being convinced that my statements about losses brought by Andy Zaky's bullish calls are "total lies", hear from the very man who promoted him in the first place at Fortune magazine:

"Given that at its peak, Bullish Cross had 700 members, it's quite likely that Andy Zaky's followers -- many of whom had put their savings and retirement accounts into Apple call spreads -- lost hundreds of millions of dollars. If the members I haven't heard from were large investors, total losses could reach into the billions."

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/03/06/apple-zaky-bullish-cross-2/

Back in 2012, I warned Philip Elmer-DeWitt that Zaky's calls will likely turn out wrong but he kept promoting Zaky’s bullish calls, the decision he ultimately regretted.

• Reply 59 of 59

"Given that at its peak, Bullish Cross had 700 members, it's quite likely that Andy Zaky's followers -- many of whom had put their savings and retirement accounts into Apple call spreads -- lost hundreds of millions of dollars. If the members I haven't heard from were large investors, total losses could reach into the billions."

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/03/06/apple-zaky-bullish-cross-2/

Back in 2012, I warned Philip Elmer-DeWitt that Zaky's calls will likely turn out wrong but he kept promoting Zaky’s bullish calls, the decision he ultimately regretted.

And this in what way proves that Tim Cook is responsible for any of the lies you've claimed? Maybe post something relevant next time.