Apple brings customizable geofencing to Find My Friends in update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a minor update to its iOS device-finding Find My Friends app, Apple has added a slightly tweaked user interface for searching and setting notifications based on proximate location, bringing the title up to version 2.1.

Find My Friends

With the new Find My Friends version, the app's "Notify Me" page now features a customizable boundary, or geofencing, option that can be expanded or contracted around a located iOS device. Users can adjust the monitored area around a device by selecting the "Change Location" button, which resets the geofencing threshold to allow for more accurate location-based notifications.

With the added functionality, users can select and manipulate the purple circle representing the geofencing around a tracked device, giving a bit more customization to the previous set threshold.

In addition, the notification page's UI has been slightly tweaked to show an Apple Maps thumbnail image of a device's current location.

Find My Friends is available as a free universal download from the App Store and requires iOS 6.1 to run.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    ah, yes ... the "don't stand so close to me" feature is one step closer to fruition ...

(love it, by the way.)
  • Reply 2 of 16
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Nice stitching
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Nice stitching

The lack of a physical analogue is the reason the overt skeuomorphism doesn't work as well here. 

• Reply 4 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Sweet! I've been wanting this feature in Find My Friends and Reminders for years.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Sweet! I've been wanting this feature in Find My Friends and Reminders for years.

Now they need a Bubble Popping option that will send you a notification if one of the people you follow enters into your geofence border. You happen to be in Times Square and you just happen get a notification that such and such is close by. This would have helped Ferris Bueller's parents catch him in the act even if they didn't actively check FMF.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This would have helped Ferris Bueller's parents catch him in the act even if they didn't actively check FMF.

Ferris asked for a car but got, not only an iPhone, but caught as well.

How's that for being born under a bad sign?

• Reply 7 of 16
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    They removed the lame reel-to-reel from the Podcasts app, why not do the same with the lame stitching here?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    FMF doesn't work well for me. It struggles to update locations of people. Idk if its their lack of signal, or because I'm on wifi? Just never seems to work
  • Reply 9 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Extremely useful for those who carpool, etc. 

• Reply 10 of 16
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

I wasn't aware anyone actually used this app.

• Reply 11 of 16
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    They removed the lame reel-to-reel from the Podcasts app, why not do the same with the lame stitching here?
    They will in due course... unless it reminds Jony of the stitching in his Aston Martin.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I use it all the time. My kids use it. My friends use it. It's useful when you know your SO is coming home from shopping and needs help.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    "FMF doesn't work well for me. It struggles to update locations of people. Idk if its their lack of signal, or because I'm on wifi?"

Same here, almost. It works pretty good. I can find all my friends but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as fast as being able to find ME. I mean, all it's got to do it get a GPS fix and send the coordinates to me. How long should that take? Also, it's not very well suited to tracking someone - you have to play tricks sometimes to get it to update a friend's location once it does find them. Not good for tracking their progress, like trying to give them driving directions by phone as they go. I'm going to assume they did it this way to save battery power in the friend's phone. It probably would generate a lot of complaints if I could keep a friend's GPS pinging away for a long time.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Am I the only one who noticed that you can do a whole lot more than just adjust the geofence? You can actually move the pin to which the geofence is attached.

I've been reading all these stories and NONE of them have noted this key functionality. If you want to tweak the pin location, you don't need to create a location or enter an address. You can now set it in the middle of a field, for example, if you want/need to.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

"FMF doesn't work well for me. It struggles to update locations of people. Idk if its their lack of signal, or because I'm on wifi?"

Same here, almost. It works pretty good. I can find all my friends but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as fast as being able to find ME. I mean, all it's got to do it get a GPS fix and send the coordinates to me. How long should that take? Also, it's not very well suited to tracking someone - you have to play tricks sometimes to get it to update a friend's location once it does find them. Not good for tracking their progress, like trying to give them driving directions by phone as they go. I'm going to assume they did it this way to save battery power in the friend's phone. It probably would generate a lot of complaints if I could keep a friend's GPS pinging away for a long time.

That's by design. I'm sure there's security implications with being able to track someone's movements to the meter in real time. It's best used to find someone at a specific locaiton, to be notifies when someone leaves a location, or is due to arrive to your location, etc. It's not meant for stalking. 

• Reply 16 of 16
    redmanredman Posts: 15member

I really hate to admit this since I use this app all the time, check on friends, send notifications, keep track of a family member in bad weather, etc. but I DONT GET IT??? I cant see anything different since I updated it?