Microsoft's changes to Windows 8 certification rules hint at potential iPad mini competitor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You still have that problem? Who are you waiting on here? OSX update or better video driver?

Neither! With 10.8.3, Apple finally released official Windows 8 drivers, so I wiped my Windows partition and reinstalled clean.

Didn't fix it. In fact, the bare Windows installation, before installing Boot Camp, recognized my GPU and output 256x1440 properly. And then Boot Camp broke that. So I wiped it again and reinstalled again (because, yeah, right, an existing driver is ever going to uninstall properly in Windows). This time, the bare Windows installation didn't recognize my GPU. So I installed Boot Camp and went from there. Still broken. And now I can't even do my old method for fixing it because Windows only reports one driver on the card and nothing to revert to (and it refuses to update from what it has), so I have to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers every time I boot into Windows now (which, apparently, now that they're already applied and not working, will magically start displaying the resolution properly after reinstallation).

I guess that's actually easier than my old method, which was Start/Control Panel/Devices/Hardware & Devices/[computer name]/Radeon 4870/Modify/Drivers/ and then either "revert" or "update" depending on whichever one I had done the last time I booted. 

I blame Microsoft and Apple equally for this mess. Microsoft for being so ************* stupid that they can't seem to make an OS intelligent enough to know what a graphics card is and for making the process of telling it how to behave, at the bare minimum, like a computer from 1995 a ************* ******* ************** ordeal. And Apple, for getting my hopes up that some action would have actually been undertaken to make all of their devices compatible with Windows 8, and dashing them on the rocks when I saw that no relevant drivers had changed.

ATI has discontinued drivers for the 4xxx series, so everyone with a Mac Pro and a Radeon 4870 should be having this problem. I can only imagine how many more people are having it with other, even older Macs.

Oh, and since 10.8.3, OS X refuses to restart or shut down. Ever. I have to hard shut down every time. So now I have to clean reinstall OS X and copy my multiple terabytes of personal data back manually to prevent whatever bug from reappearing.

• Reply 22 of 24
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Thought I'd Google for an answer to your problems but came up zip. Maybe I have a spare hour tomorrow - for now I gotta run. Sorry to hear these problems are still persistent!
  • Reply 23 of 24
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Neither! With 10.8.3, Apple finally released official Windows 8 drivers, so I wiped my Windows partition and reinstalled clean.

Didn't fix it. In fact, the bare Windows installation, before installing Boot Camp, recognized my GPU and output 256x1440 properly. And then Boot Camp broke that. So I wiped it again and reinstalled again (because, yeah, right, an existing driver is ever going to uninstall properly in Windows). This time, the bare Windows installation didn't recognize my GPU. So I installed Boot Camp and went from there. Still broken. And now I can't even do my old method for fixing it because Windows only reports one driver on the card and nothing to revert to (and it refuses to update from what it has), so I have to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers every time I boot into Windows now (which, apparently, now that they're already applied and not working, will magically start displaying the resolution properly after reinstallation).

I guess that's actually easier than my old method, which was Start/Control Panel/Devices/Hardware & Devices/[computer name]/Radeon 4870/Modify/Drivers/ and then either "revert" or "update" depending on whichever one I had done the last time I booted. 

I blame Microsoft and Apple equally for this mess. Microsoft for being so ************* stupid that they can't seem to make an OS intelligent enough to know what a graphics card is and for making the process of telling it how to behave, at the bare minimum, like a computer from 1995 a ************* ******* ************** ordeal. And Apple, for getting my hopes up that some action would have actually been undertaken to make all of their devices compatible with Windows 8, and dashing them on the rocks when I saw that no relevant drivers had changed.

ATI has discontinued drivers for the 4xxx series, so everyone with a Mac Pro and a Radeon 4870 should be having this problem. I can only imagine how many more people are having it with other, even older Macs.

Oh, and since 10.8.3, OS X refuses to restart or shut down. Ever. I have to hard shut down every time. So now I have to clean reinstall OS X and copy my multiple terabytes of personal data back manually to prevent whatever bug from reappearing.

I don't know about the shut down problem. Sounds like something got messed up.

For the Windows drivers, maybe these pages will help:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/bootcamp-xp.aspx
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/bootcamp-win7.aspx
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2327962?start=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 24 of 24
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That certainly is very kind of you [B]jragosta[/B]; hope these sources lead to a fix.