Apple's largest active shareholder cuts stake by 10%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Seems it me its based more on emotion than fundamentals. 

I don't disagree with that. There seems to be a lot of emotional people out there in that case though.

• Reply 22 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mj web wrote: »
    Perhaps you'd like to try that shoe on the other foot. Investors and Wall Street are divorcing Apple. The basis of my observation is the stock had nosedived from $700 to $400 during the biggest bull market in this century. Use your eyes instead of shooting off your mouth, lkrupp!

Still waiting for a rational response to his question.

Apple just had a record quarter. Sales continue to grow. Market share continues to grow. Cash continues to grow. Yet their P/E has dropped to a cash-adjusted forward P/E below 7 while the average company on Wall Street is trading at more than twice that.

Please explain why an average company with average earnings (and, on average, no dividends) is worth more than twice AAPL. EVEN IF its performance drops to the level of the average company, it's still trading at least than half of what it should be.

So where's your detailed analysis of why it's overvalued and should drop another 10%?
  • Reply 23 of 137
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Let's see how much more value Tim Cook & Co. can destroy by ignoring Wall Street and pissing off investors. Between that and Cook's supply chain "expertise" AAPL might crash below $400 this week. Tim Cook makes Jerry Yang, Steve Balmer, and John Chambers look like a pack of bloody geniuses!

Thank God nobody at Apple is ever listening to clowns like you.

Stop thinking with your butt an use your brain for a while.

• Reply 24 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    jragosta wrote: »
    They really need to be encouraging private ownership rather than institutional. Split the stock for Pete's sake.

Fidelity sold 1.13 million shares in the period from January through February. That is just one institution for only a two month period. If we assume they received about $450 per share on average, that amounts to $508.5 million. What split do you envision which would entice enough individuals to replace
    that size of institutional investment, let alone all the other institutional investments? Or never mind replacing it. How many investors at what price would
    even make a dent? If you are going to continue promoting a split as helping AAPL's price, you should provide some numbers explaining why.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    They lost me at "this change reflects the fact that..." with absolutely NO proof of such an assertion.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't disagree with that. There seems to be a lot of emotional people out there in that case though.

Not sure what Cook and team can do about that other than spacing out product launches throughout the year (so there are no vacuums being filled up with FUD and D&G)  and maybe better PR/marketing.  It makes my blood boil when I see a puff piece on the Verge (one of the least Apple hating tech sites out there) about Google's design revolution under Larry Page.  Or another puff piece on the back story behind Microsoft Surface.  It's all this free positive media that Apple gets none of because they choose to be so close lipped.  And the last piece of PR we got from Apple was quite bizarre - first Phil Schiller going after Android on the eve of the S4 launch.  And shortly after 'why iPhone' and 'why iPad' campaigns that were portrayed in the media as desperation more than anything else. 

I guess it's just frustrating....I don't have the answers on what Apple can do to change the narrative but it feels like they should be doing something.  Even if the stock sell off is completely irrational, it's still happening and it feeds into more pessimism about the company which causes more sell offs.

• Reply 27 of 137
    seanrseanr Posts: 15member
    To everyone saying Tim Cook should pay more attention to Wall Street: Steve Jobs was famous for his contempt for Wall Street, and mostly ignored them. And yet he created a lot of shareholder value, and no small part of that was because he [B]didn't[/B] follow the "expert" advice of short sighted Wall Street.
  • Reply 28 of 137
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Quote:

What rational basis is there for the dumping of stock?  Seems it me its based more on emotion than fundamentals.  I will say though going 6 months with no product refreshes or new product announcements doesn't help shift the narrative.  Especially considering Apple is very secretive about product plans.  This creates a vacuum which is being filled with plenty of FUD and D&G.

A six month product drought after Cook & Cos. amateurish product dump of Apple's product line last Fall. Could Cook deliver any of those products reliably? No! He just wanted to beat Windows 8 and Samsung Galaxy to market so he introduced Apple vaporware -- products he couldn't deliver. 6 month later, now that Cook's supply chain has begun to catch up, nobody wants Apple's 6 month old vaporware. Tim Cook can't even count beans properly! 

• Reply 29 of 137

Quote:

A six month product drought after Cook & Cos. amateurish product dump of Apple's product line last Fall. Could Cook deliver any of those products reliably? No! He just wanted to beat Windows 8 and Samsung Galaxy to market so he introduced Apple vaporware -- products he couldn't deliver. 6 month later, now that Cook's supply chain has begun to catch up, nobody wants Apple's 6 month old vaporware. Tim Cook can't even count beans properly! 

Ok now it's obvious you're just trolling or an idiot.

• Reply 30 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanr View Post

To everyone saying Tim Cook should pay more attention to Wall Street: Steve Jobs was famous for his contempt for Wall Street, and mostly ignored them. And yet he created a lot of shareholder value, and no small part of that was because he didn't follow the "expert" advice of short sighted Wall Street.

It's times like these I wish Apple could go private.  Screw Wall Street.

• Reply 31 of 137

Quote:

Ok now it's obvious you're just trolling or an idiot.

Apple fanbois blather illogically when they periodically pull they heads up out of the sand. The denial of the Tim Cook apologists on this board is pathetic! The guy is a total loser and AAPL is sinking under the weight of his management.  

• Reply 32 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

A six month product drought…

Steve Jobs never let Apple go six months without a product update¡

…amateurish product dump…

Steve Jobs never updated more than one product at once¡

…deliver any of those products reliably?

Apple under Steve Jobs never had any production issues for any reason at any time¡

Also, you're just outright lying at this point. 

…just wanted to beat Windows 8 and Samsung Galaxy to market…

This message brought to you by the Look What I Found Up My Butt Council, a subsidiary of AßPulls, Inc.

Just go away.

• Reply 33 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanr View Post

To everyone saying Tim Cook should pay more attention to Wall Street: Steve Jobs was famous for his contempt for Wall Street, and mostly ignored them. And yet he created a lot of shareholder value, and no small part of that was because he didn't follow the "expert" advice of short sighted Wall Street.

Perfectly true! SJ showed the greedy WS guys again and again his middle finger. And he was proven right to to so.

If anything, TC does listen rather to much to WS. But for the he is doing extremely well as CEO.

And this MJ troll doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

• Reply 34 of 137

I knew Steve Jobs... Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs!

• Reply 35 of 137

Quote:

please just go away

• Reply 36 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Two fine people are different? What're the odds. 

• Reply 37 of 137
    Rolling out so many products/updates so late last year (and the limited availability too) really hurt Apple. And now there is no products being introduced this quarter. Spreading out some new product intros (and updates) would be nice!
  • Reply 38 of 137
    Release Mac Pro now; 5s in June; iPad mini w/retina August; iWatch in October and their stock will reach $700 again. Split shares and it could reach $1,000.
  • Reply 39 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by poally dog View Post

Release Mac Pro now; 5s in June; iPad mini w/retina August; iWatch in October and their stock will reach $700 again. Split shares and it could reach $1,000.

Wall Street doesn't give a shit about MacPro.

• Reply 40 of 137
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The entire story of Apple is based on emotion, usually the emotion of hate.

The story was mostly about Fidelity dumping some AAPL stock. It is just a 10% equity holding adjustment, no big deal. Sure there was a bit of editorializing in the last couple of paragraphs of the article though it expresses some common sentiments echoed lately by many stock holders, but I don't think the recent AAPL sell off is due to hate. Institutional investors are in business to make money and are unlikely to take a position based on emotion especially if it is contrary to financial indications. Typically trash talk as a tactic to lower a stock price is done for short term profit but this decline is a steady downturn for the past six months, which to me exhibits more of a long term trend. Stock trends are usually based on forward expectations not past performance. I don't have a position in AAPL right now but the chart is a little scary.