Rumor: Apple's expiring chip contract with Samsung will lead to TSMC-built 'A7' chips

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yours is only one point of view, from my perspective Apple has a very long ways to go performance wise. Ideally what I'd want is an iPhone fast enough that it could power a desktop like experience plugged into a dock.
    blastdoor wrote: »
    I'm curious to see what Apple puts in the iPhone 5S.
    The new Apple TV chip hints at the possibilities here. They may skip the process shrink for the vastly improved core sizes rafter the architecture overhaul. A7 could very well run on the same Samsung 28/32nm tech it currently used.
    I guess people would scream that Apple is doomed if they stick with the A6, but I think the A6 is a perfectly cromulent processor.
    Actually it sucks! It isn't 64 bit and frankly if you look at performance per watt even some Intel hardware does better.
    I think it might make more sense to die shrink the A6 and improve battery life, unless there's some killer new feature in iOS7 that could really benefit from a faster SOC. As the phone stands now, though, there's nothing sluggish at all. Unlike with previous iPhones I've owned, it's hard for me to point to anything that would benefit from more CPU speed.
    Actually I'm more concerned about tablet performance myself. Even so iphone could use a performance boost. Apple could double tablet performance across the board and it still wouldn't be fast enough for me. I suspect the majority of people feel the same way, especially as software becomes more and more flexible and feature filled on iOS.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    In part, the contract with Apple is what enabled Samsung to do so. Apple spent billions of dollars in advance to ensure that Samsung could deliver. Now, Apple is spending all that money on TSMC.
    loptimist wrote: »
    Seriously??

If I am not mistaken, and I don't think I am wrong here, Apple is one of the buyers who would cut the profit margin for Samsung almost to its marginal cost.  I doubt that Apple has contributed anything to Samsung's manufacturing techniques and capacity.  

After all, if there were any other alternative, Apple would have gone to that given their general hostility against Samsung's retail mobile phones.  The fact that Apple spent billions of dollars in advance was to ensure that they get the first batches of chipsets from Samsung at a low price, nothing more.

What do you not understand?
  • Reply 23 of 24
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    They forgot a6x
  • Reply 24 of 24
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

What do you not understand?

Where is your evidence that Apple paid anything in advance to help Samsung deliver?