Google blames supposedly buried iTunes links on technical difficulties, fix on the way

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    SEO marketers are very aware of the pitfalls of deceptive coding practices. If you get black listed it can take years to regain your natural organic rank.

An SEO Expert walks into a bar, bar and grill, bar & grill, grill and bar, grill & bar, bar + grill, grill + bar, pub, tavern, cocktail lounge, barroom, taproom, after-hours club, lounge, nightclub, beer hall,  club, cantina, bodega, sports bar, watering hole, dive, nineteenth hole, public house, saloon, alehouse, tavern, tavern bar, singles bar, singles, meet singles, single ladies, brothel, sex.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If I wanted to finagle the results I'd Google's hits at the top and put Apple's hits a little farther down on the page, but still on the same page. 

No that would not be good because that would be artificially moving Apple up in rank. If Google wanted to be entirely fair then they should make sure they don't give themselves preferential ranking unless they pay for a sponsored link which often times they do. If any correction needs to be made it is for the Google link to be ranked according to the same rules that everyone else is abiding by. Personally I think the Apple page was appropriately ranked but I'm suspicious of the Google link's rank.

• Reply 63 of 75
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    If not intentional change on googles behalf ... then why did nt this problem exist before.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

SEO marketers are very aware of the pitfalls of deceptive coding practices. If you get black listed it can take years to regain your natural organic rank.

An SEO Expert walks into a bar, bar and grill, bar & grill, grill and bar, grill & bar, bar + grill, grill + bar, pub, tavern, cocktail lounge, barroom, taproom, after-hours club, lounge, nightclub, beer hall,  club, cantina, bodega, sports bar, watering hole, dive, nineteenth hole, public house, saloon, alehouse, tavern, tavern bar, singles bar, singles, meet singles, single ladies, brothel, sex.

Funny but these kinds of keywords tend to reduce your rank rather than improve it unless you can support those keywords in the <h> tags or the body text.

• Reply 65 of 75
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I hate to say this but perhaps it is time Apple considered purchasing a search engine.

And who is to say Apple won't do the same thing that people are accusing Google of doing?  If Apple fans are ok with Apple doing it, then this whole issue is not really about search accuracy or wrongdoing by Google, but about personal preference by Apple supporters all along.

• Reply 66 of 75
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 67 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mstone wrote: »
    No that would not be good because that would be artificially moving Apple up in rank. If Google wanted to be entirely fair then they should make sure they don't give themselves preferential ranking unless they pay for a sponsored link which often times they do. If any correction needs to be made it is for the Google link to be ranked according to the same rules that everyone else is abiding by. Personally I think the Apple page was appropriately ranked but I'm suspicious of the Google link's rank.

Google is constantly tweaking their search algorithms to avoid being "gamed". Have a look at SEObytheSEA for really good commentary on how Google has adjusted it's rankings to keep results as relevant as possible.
    http://www.seobythesea.com/
  • Reply 68 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    haggar wrote: »
    And who is to say Apple won't do the same thing that people are accusing Google of doing?  If Apple fans are ok with Apple doing it, then this whole issue is not really about search accuracy or wrongdoing by Google, but about personal preference by Apple supporters all along.

Apple has 35+ years of history. When have they made a practice of doing that?
  • Reply 69 of 75
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Heck, what company has ever made a practice of promoting its competition to the forefront?

Most companies usually try not to even mention anyone else :)   

Some go further and forbid others to do the same.

A developer cannot mention their Android version in their Apple App Store entry, for example.

• Reply 70 of 75
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Apple has 35+ years of history. When have they made a practice of doing that?

and that is the difference.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Heck, what company has ever made a practice of promoting its competition to the forefront?

Most companies usually try not to even mention anyone else :)   

Some go further and forbid others to do the same.

A developer cannot<span style="line-height:1.231;"> mention their Android version in their Apple App Store entry, for example.</span>

That's why they should not be trusted. Their own self-interest trumps search results.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    @demonicpaul : happy to learn you trust Bing, from notorious Microsoft reliability-fame.

@macbook pro: if it is an algorithm that was based on server results, as explained by Danny Sullivan, an _independent_ person, it makes sense that what you noticed is compatible with what they noticed. Concluding that Google is evil because their algorithms behave as they were programmed to is logically unsound...

My guess is, as @solipsismx noted, that Google has no interest in playing foul here, and some human did not plan on Apple's server setup when writing his algorithm.

Not the human's fault for not taking every possibility in the world into account, not Google's fault for making a non-perfect system, not Apple's fault for making a certain design decision with their servers, possibly fully aware of the SEO consequences. It's the "fault" of growing complexity in an IT world that caters to billions of users.
  • Reply 73 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Anti-google rhetoric.

By the way, I thought you used to be a pro-Google guy who burnt Apple down. What happened, they stopped paying?

• Reply 74 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Remember when iOS was having issues with Microsoft Exchange servers?

Many of the regulars wrote with great certainty that it was purely a bug with Exchange.

When Apple rolled out the iOS update that fixed the issue, how many here were willing to admit they were wrong?

And how does that prove:

1- anything related to the article

2- that the regulars here were wrong in the first place?

If I was Apple and an Exchange bug was plaguing my users, but I knew how to write a "fix" on my side to avoid that bug, I would. It would make me amazing, not prove I was wrong in the first place...

• Reply 75 of 75
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted