Apple's 'spaceship' campus budget balloons from $3 billion to $5 billion

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This happens quite often when the second estimate is calculated.

In government projects I've always called the first estimate the Politician's Budget. The second estimate is a mix of the Politician's Budget and the real estimate. The third and final actual end cost just follows along the line that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

LOL! Amen.

• Reply 62 of 76
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

If you read the article closely you'll discover that what they're portraying as a cost "overrun" is actually an expansion of the project's scope. "Cost overruns are to be expected on large construction projects, and the scale of this one has evolved—from an initial plan to accommodate 6,000 employees, to offices for 12,000 or even 13,000 in one place." So the project was intentionally doubled in size to accommodate more people but Businessweek is choosing to characterise it as an overrun, as if it was unintentional.

• Reply 63 of 76
    tjduffytjduffy Posts: 28member
    How long can they keep selling their gadgets at a premium? Will this mothership beam me aboard?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's stuff like this that gives CEOs pause in building their US presence. Whether it's in the government or in the private sector, stuff never seems to come in on budget or on time.

A 67% budget balloon, if true, is absolutely ridiculous.

You obviously didn't read the article because it's because of the CEO's wishes that the costs are ballooning.  Jobs wanted specific products, wanted it to built in a non-efficient way, wanted it spit and polished, and to higher standards than normal (drywall or wall products had to be 1/32" apart instead of 1/8").

I think he did go a bit overboard, but then, considering they have over a $100 Billion, what's a measly $5 Billion.  Banks probably spend that amount or more on alot of their skyscraper headquarters.

• Reply 65 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Instagram was acquired for $1B. Motorola, $8B. Skype, $12B. A state of the art HQ for the most successful company on the planet is worth every penny.

You forgot the mother of them all: Autonomy by HP for $11B (of which $8.8B was promptly written off; this coming on the heels of $8B in EDS's value being written off by HP in 2008)! 

I think the US Dept of Energy has a better track record.....image

• Reply 66 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

You obviously didn't read the article because it's because of the CEO's wishes that the costs are ballooning.  Jobs wanted specific products, wanted it to built in a non-efficient way, wanted it spit and polished, and to higher standards than normal (drywall or wall products had to be 1/32" apart instead of 1/8").

I think he did go a bit overboard, but then, considering they have over a $100 Billion, what's a measly $5 Billion.  Banks probably spend that amount or more on alot of their skyscraper headquarters.

You obviously didn't understand what I wrote.

CEOs come up with investment plans based on estimates of what they think it will cost. Not based on what they think it will cost + 67%.

• Reply 67 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I'd be fine with them spending yet another two billion if they manage to grab those apartments, get the full plot, and redesign the main building to be the TRUE original vision.

• Reply 68 of 76
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

It seems clear to me that Jobs' intimations of his own mortality overlapped somewhere in the conception and design of the new campus - and while it should be a functional structure, its aesthetic overspeccing is a metaphorical pyramid/memorial ("seamless," "all curved," the heartwood of specific maples, the transplantation of mature trees [to look "finished" as soon as built], etc.).

I read a comment somewhere that alluded to some zen/buddhist "circle" completion in reference to the video of Jobs' proposal of the new campus to the Cupertino City Council ( if anyone hasn't seen it) but can't find it, and they had a term for it. Was it this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ens? ? 

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa?s?ra_(Buddhism) ?

• Reply 69 of 76
    76roea76roea Posts: 1member
    This "spaceship" campus will be the downfall of Apple. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from this ridiculous expense.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 76roea View Post

This "spaceship" campus will be the downfall of Apple. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from this ridiculous expense.

Never having to pay for building rental again

Having the space to expand in the future without building or buying new buildings

Having the entire Cupertino operation together in two, fully-owned complexes a short drive away from each other instead of scattered around the region

Being able to collaborate more easily given that nearly everyone is under one roof

Reclamation of concrete for foliage

Beautification of industrial park and surrounding area

Increased morale from all of the above

Yeah, you certainly know anything at all about what you're saying¡

Wish we could just dump these fools right off the bat.

• Reply 71 of 76
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

I read a comment somewhere that alluded to some zen/buddhist "circle" completion in reference to the video of Jobs' proposal of the new campus to the Cupertino City Council ( if anyone hasn't seen it) but can't find it, and they had a term for it. Was it this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ens? ? 

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa?s?ra_(Buddhism) ?

Here's the closest I can find — good synopsis of the idea anyway:

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/29794

• Reply 72 of 76
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

What did they do... add a second donut?!

Shit, man, they haven't started building it yet and the price has supposedly gone up dramatically. Most likely by the time they are done it will be $ 7 billion +.

If I was on the board and this report was true I'd be very very concerned.

Consider that these things often present an incomplete picture. Either proposal would have line items and costs associated with them as well as further detail. I really don't know what changed. I can understand the board being concerned about cost, but the article mentions that they were looking at things to cut.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I would rather they spend the 2 Billion more to adhere to Job's standard. And 12,000 workers are a relatively small size comparing to Google. They have more that that just for engineers.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    [quote name="anantksundaram"
    A 67% budget balloon, if true, is absolutely ridiculous.
    [/quote]

PEANUTS 4 Apple
  • Reply 76 of 76
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The Burj construction labor and costs have a lot more in common with the Great Pyramids of Giza than with Apple's new campus.

Also note it's estimated Apple has already spent about 1/2 billion dollars on just the property.

And of course, the Burj Khalifa was built by Samsung construction. Maybe Apple should hire Samsung Engineering & Construction Group instead.