Zuckerberg unclear on iOS Facebook Home, says Android's openness allows unique experiences

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    nasserae wrote: »
    Wait. Didn't you try to deny Facebook placing ads in the lock screen before I have posted the link.

By the way, I am not stretching his words. He was asked a clear questions and he gave clear answer.

Anyway, enjoy your your phone with its ads.. hey.. it's a unique experience and above all... open. Who cares about everything else¡

I didn't deny any such thing. Therefore, I didn't try to deny it either.

I just didn't hear Mark Z. say what you claimed he said - "According to Zuckerberg, it is intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete."

He never said Home was "intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete". And show me where I denied that Facebook was placing ads. Show me!
  • Reply 62 of 69
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    trumptman wrote: »
    I'm glad this isn't coming to iOS. The performance of Android as an OS is abysmal. I suppose there are people out there that want an OS, then want a bunch of carrier crapware, plus phone manufacturer crapware along with a custom skin that they can then attempt to remove or have interact with Facebook Home, but that person isn't me.

I actually quite like my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but that's probably because it runs "pure" Android without OEM bloatware or GUI layers added and gets regular OS updates straight from Google.

That said, my next smartphone will likely be an iPhone (unless BlackBerry can make some significant strides and attract some big league apps to their platform).

I have misgivings about me and my information being treated like a commodity to sell to the highest bidder, and that is what Google and Facebook are all about.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I didn't deny any such thing. Therefore, I didn't try to deny it either.

I just didn't hear Mark Z. say what you claimed he said - "According to Zuckerberg, it is intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete."

He never said Home was "intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete". And show me where I denied that Facebook was placing ads. Show me!

Jeez man.. Go read the damn article. That part is the first sentence in the second paragraph.

"Meanwhile, Zuckerberg confirmed that Facebook Home is essentially an end-run around Google's services wherever they compete directly with Facebook's, with the ultimate goal of capturing more dollars."

• Reply 64 of 69
    Well, this is proof that Zuckerberg has learned nothing about the realities of Android "openness". Then again, Facebook has always been about fantasy.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    omoomo Posts: 31member
    Like many of you, I am not a FB fan, or member, etc for privacy concers, and its just not "my thing". I'm not their target audience.

Still, this to me is a brilliant business move on their part -- many reasons have already been discussed.

As for ads on the home screen (and I am no fan of ads wherever they pop up), this to me does not seem to require that ads will the same annoying banners and animated 'click-thru' type ads.

Because the home screen is basically a slide show, they could easily insert an ad every 10 pictures. It could be a beautiful, full screen photo (or transparently layered over FB pix) with a subtle message or logo. See it enough times and it piques your curiosity.

Plus, with all the data they're collecting on you = very targeted advertising. And pretty soon the ads no longer seem like ads. They're things you (and your friends) are interested in, similar "Instagram" style photo backdrop, etc. So there is a way it could be done much more seamlessly and unibtrusively.

Anecdotally -
    With my feelings regarding privacy, advertising, etc, it was surprising to me to hear my mother in law at Easter proclaim her love of how google "knows so much about me" that she saw an ad for a sofa store (she had been looking at sofas online) that she's never heard of --- and they had sofas more her style & she ended up buying one from them. So, crazy as it may seem, a lot of people find real value in it...
  • Reply 66 of 69
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    nasserae wrote: »
    Jeez man.. Go read the damn article. That part is the first sentence in the second paragraph.

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:23px;">"Meanwhile, Zuckerberg confirmed that Facebook Home is essentially an end-run around Google's services wherever they compete directly with Facebook's, with the ultimate goal of capturing more dollars."</span>

That is an interpretation, and not what he said, which was my point. In your own words, "Go back and listen ..." Why would you ask someone to listen if you are referring to what has been paraphrased. You misconstrued his words, my words. You are ... a liar?
  • Reply 67 of 69
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

That is an interpretation, and not what he said, which was my point. In your own words, "Go back and listen ..." Why would you ask someone to listen if you are referring to what has been paraphrased. You misconstrued his words, my words. You are ... a liar?

Seriously man, you need to learn English and improve your comprehension.

• Reply 68 of 69
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I'm forced to see it. It's forced. Of course it's forcibly installed. It's part of the OS by default. I don't want it; it's there; I can't turn it off. That's the definition of forced.
    Yes TS it is in IOS and you can not ever fully remove it but in these things you can rid it:Calender, Contacts, Game Center, remove the app it's self, and notifications(no alerts and notification center. I believe however they should have put Facebook before Twitter when they came out.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    omo wrote: »

As for ads on the home screen (and I am no fan of ads wherever they pop up), this to me does not seem to require that ads will the same annoying banners and animated 'click-thru' type ads.

Because the home screen is basically a slide show, they could easily insert an ad every 10 pictures. It could be a beautiful, full screen photo (or transparently layered over FB pix) with a subtle message or logo. See it enough times and it piques your curiosity.

Plus, with all the data they're collecting on you = very targeted advertising. And pretty soon the ads no longer seem like ads. They're things you (and your friends) are interested in, similar "Instagram" style photo backdrop, etc. So there is a way it could be done much more seamlessly and unibtrusively.

Rubbish, it will be a gaudy feed inviting you to play the latest Zynga game or "Like" some crappy company for a chance to win something, just like the feeds of most people, which is so far removed from the fantasies depicted in their promotional clip it's laughable.