'Sense of crisis' at Samsung could affect patent disputes with Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

A 3 month trip to Japan and Hawaii of all places? Samsung sales in Japan are probably the lowest of nearly any country due to Japanese feelings about the inferiority of Korean products and loyalty to Japanese brands. It is less so today than in the past but still very much an issue. K-Pop and Korean dramas might have made some inroads into Japan but still a lot of hostility between those two counties.  And as far as Hawaii that sounds more likely to enjoy some golf, beaches, and Chi Chi's than get any great new ideas on how to increase sales. I can understand a 3 month tour including the mainland, Europe, and several other countries but strange to stay that long in only Japan and Hawaii then return with a sense of "crisis"

• Reply 42 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Personally, I have yet to see someone holding one of these behemoths to their ear and talking on it. I don't get it I guess.

You likely don't hang around groups of kids wearing their hats on backwards and their pants around their knees.

• Reply 43 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think most people use the really big ones as a mini tablet with a data connection with the phone part more there as an emergency than anything else.

texting...

• Reply 44 of 52
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

Get a tablet.  The size of these phones is getting so big that it is a waste of time toting them around as a phone so just get a table and be done with it.  Any mini tablet would be just as good anyway.  And if you use bluetooth for the phone part, so be it.

• Reply 45 of 52
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I would imagine that Samsung is feeling like they are surrounded with Google controlling the OS they use and Apple suing them and winning on many fronts.  I'd expect them to do what has been reported before and move to make more of their phones on their own OS.  I also expect them to finally seek cross licensing deals with Apple.  We'll see in the coming weeks though.

• Reply 46 of 52
    berndrberndr Posts: 9member

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I have an idea for Apple. Want to efficiently manage skus? Add phone capabilities to the LTE iPad mini.

I see that I'm not the only one with this idea image

• Reply 47 of 52
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think most people use the really big ones as a mini tablet with a data connection with the phone part more there as an emergency than anything else.

I've noticed that too. The larger smart phones are mostly used as (too small) a tablet.

Also they are usually held with two hands, particularly by women.

• Reply 48 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I am. So far, they're still north of the 38th parallel, making noise.

"So far, Apple hasn't released a phone. I see no reason to worry."

—RIM's CEO, January 1, 2007.

• Reply 49 of 52
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Hey, I like the large Samsung format. I carry coffee on it like a tray to my wife on Sunday mornings.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    erannerann Posts: 38member
    Apple Insider, please, move this crap to Samsung Insider.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The 6.3" phone mentioned in the article or the 7" iPad Mini LTE mentioned in a comment are more likely to be used with a Bluetooth headset than being held up to the ear.

Since getting my iPad mini, I carry my iPhone a little less. Using a BT headset and the free Talkatone app, I can make decent calls for most of the calls I take on the move (I am probably texting as much or more than phone calls). Quality is okay, and if I didn't have a company phone, I would consider dumping my voice plan and just moving to the Talkatone subscription plan with better call quality.

I also agree with the comment about the iPad mini fitting in a purse. I see that a lot of the customers for iPad minis are female, since they carry purses the majority of the time and the minis fit well in even the smallest purses. Unfortunately, (and I know this is a stereotype) it seems that they are also less likely to be tech-crazy, so they still use their phones rather than BT headsets.

• Reply 52 of 52
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Since getting my iPad mini, I carry my iPhone a little less. Using a BT headset and the free Talkatone app, I can make decent calls for most of the calls I take on the move (I am probably texting as much or more than phone calls). Quality is okay, and if I didn't have a company phone, I would consider dumping my voice plan and just moving to the Talkatone subscription plan with better call quality.

I also agree with the comment about the iPad mini fitting in a purse. I see that a lot of the customers for iPad minis are female, since they carry purses the majority of the time and the minis fit well in even the smallest purses. Unfortunately, (and I know this is a stereotype) it seems that they are also less likely to be tech-crazy, so they still use their phones rather than BT headsets.

I think one of the points of the iWatch idea is that you can see your texts without taking your iPad out of wherever you keep it -- Bluetooth is fine for calls, less fine for texting.