HBO Go app update brings AirPlay multitasking, interactive features for 'Game of Thrones'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With the release of HBO Go version 2.1 on Monday, subscribers of the premium cable service now have the ability to stream content to TVs over AirPlay as a background task, leaving their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch free to run other apps.

HBO Go


Along with the ability to background streaming, HBO Go version 2.1 also includes new interactive features for the company's massively popular series "Game of Thrones." Fans can now watch episodes of the show while accessing the special content on their iPad or iPhone in a second-screen type of experience.

From the release notes:
  • Includes AirPlay multitasking capability -- other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.
  • Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones.
  • General performance enhancements.
HBO first introduced AirPlay streaming to its HBO Go app, as well as Cinemax's MAX Go title, in February, granting users access to shows, movies, comedy specials, sports, documentaries and special content.

HBO Go is available now through the iOS App Store as a free download, though a subscription to the cable service is required.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Remove the cable subscription requirement. Offer Internet subscription please.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member


    Unless it's something new or it's been changed, the interactive features for Game of Thrones has been there for a long time. That's been working on my iPad for ages now.

  • Reply 3 of 17
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 633member
    I'm not in the States and so can't get HBO, but the background Airplay streaming looks awesome. Hopefully my local stations will enable it too.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member
    Too bad TMN Go (canadian version of HBO go) would not let us airplay anything, even in iPad mirror mode.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Unless it's something new or it's been changed, the interactive features for Game of Thrones has been there for a long time. That's been working on my iPad for ages now.

    It does say "enhancements to the interactive features"
  • Reply 6 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    It does say "enhancements to the interactive features"


     


    You're right. I just updated the HBO Go app and I noticed that in the description.


     


    I still have to catch up on the last episode of GOT, so I guess I'll find out later how much it's been enhanced.

  • Reply 7 of 17
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


     


    I still have to catch up on the last episode of GOT, so I guess I'll find out later how much it's been enhanced.



    Just watched it last night- awesome. This makes it easier because now I can text my brother throughout.  Really not a huge deal not being on Apple TV as an individual app anymore with allowing multi-tasking (although being an actual ATV app would make it slightly better).

  • Reply 8 of 17
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member


    They must of known I was coming! Just switched back to DirecTV, the installer is coming Friday! I will be very busy with this app in my 3 months free. 


     


    Game of Thrones


    Deadwood


    Oz


    The Wire


     


    Anything else? Got the Sopranos done before.

  • Reply 9 of 17
    starbird73 wrote: »
    They must of known I was coming! Just switched back to DirecTV, the installer is coming Friday! I will be very busy with this app in my 3 months free. 

    Game of Thrones
    Deadwood
    Oz
    The Wire

    Anything else? Got the Sopranos done before.




    Band Of Brothers.
    John Adams
    Generation Kill.

    You can watch any of those series in a weekend.


    I m not sure that you'll have access to hbogo w/o actually paying for it. They had a free Cinemax preview and my directv account didn't enable me to use the MaXGo app.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    I don't have an HBO subscription, even though it is available here in The Netherlands, so for me it's pointless to download their free app. But reading the reviews it supposedly crashes a lot and doesn't support AirPlay. 3.0.4 from March, 30th.

    It all works, in the US?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    Do I understand correctly that the app only keeps running in background if on AirPlay mode?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    Do I understand correctly that the app only keeps running in background if on AirPlay mode?

    That would seem logical to me, otherwise what's the point of having a video being played in the background while you are dealing with email or something? Background sound perhaps?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    They must of known I was coming! Just switched back to DirecTV, the installer is coming Friday! I will be very busy with this app in my 3 months free. 

    Game of Thrones
    Deadwood
    Oz
    The Wire

    Anything else? Got the Sopranos done before.

    That sounds perfect. I think you get show time too- so homeland is a must.
    You can skip deadwood and oz- I'd only give those a few episodes to see if you like them. My brother likes boardwalk empire but I checked out about 5 episodes or so. After watching the wire... It's hard to watch other shows because it was just that good...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    That would seem logical to me, otherwise what's the point of having a video being played in the background while you are dealing with email or something? Background sound perhaps?


    You might want to quickly check an email during opening credits, or at any time without pausing.

  • Reply 15 of 17
    robertsm wrote: »
    Band Of Brothers.
    John Adams
    Generation Kill.

    You can watch any of those series in a weekend.


    I m not sure that you'll have access to hbogo w/o actually paying for it. They had a free Cinemax preview and my directv account didn't enable me to use the MaXGo app.

    That is what I am wondering. Hopefully it is different than the trial weekends. It will be on my bill with a credit from DirecTV, and I have to call in 3 months to cancel, so I'm hopeful. I'll try this weekend (maybe knock out Band of Brothers) and report back.
    andysol wrote: »
    That sounds perfect. I think you get show time too- so homeland is a must.
    You can skip deadwood and oz- I'd only give those a few episodes to see if you like them. My brother likes boardwalk empire but I checked out about 5 episodes or so. After watching the wire... It's hard to watch other shows because it was just that good...

    That is what I've heard about the wire. May have to save that for last.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    philboogie wrote: »
    That would seem logical to me, otherwise what's the point of having a video being played in the background while you are dealing with email or something? Background sound perhaps?
    You might want to quickly check an email during opening credits, or at any time without pausing.

    Ah, ok, well, I do that on my iPhone if my iPad is playing a video. But ok, I get your point.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    "Remove the cable subscription requirement. Offer Internet subscription please."

    Agreed! Can't get cable where I'm at! HBO/HBO Go needs to be subscription on iTunes/AppleTV for those of us who can't get cable!
Sign In or Register to comment.