Rumor: Apple to begin production of 5th-gen iPad in July-August

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    evilution wrote: »
    I hope you are talking about the Mac Pro and not the iPad.

I'd say he refers to a delay in releasing the new iPad design.

The DigiTimes story hints that the screen will be getting the G/F2 touchscreen technology, which was a large part of the weight and thickness savings in the iPad mini, and also the reason for the supply constraints early in the rollout.

If the new iPad is getting the new touchscreen type, which saves a glass layer, it could be the main reason the new iPad will be lighter, thinner and able to have a narrower bezel on two sides.

Getting the production ramped up better this time might be reason for the months-late release of a new Pad.

Months late? Don't they usuallty announce a new iPad in March?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    It's a great case design, as evidenced by the fact that they've used it for two months shy of an entire decade now.

And I like it; I have my old models all lined up behind my current one. Really look forward to the same case design, so I can show people that Apple innovates...the inside.
    And what semi-disparaging name we come up with for it (remember "cheese grater"?).

Reminds me of a Dutch commercial, where they said that the taste of the cheese is 'full'. "Full? What about all those holes in the cheese?" -"Ah, the taste is around those holes". Yep, a cheesy commercial it was.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I hope this is wrong. I really want to replace my iPad mini with a regular iPad that has shed some weight and bezel sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I hope this is wrong. I really want to replace my iPad mini with a regular iPad that has shed some weight and bezel sooner rather than later.

Good point. Probably it'll be best to hold off to check out a slimmer/lighter iPad later in the year. If they achieve the same release cycles going forward the choices will be easier to make.

• Reply 25 of 28
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Good point. Probably it'll be best to hold off to check out a slimmer/lighter iPad later in the year. If they achieve the same release cycles going forward the choices will be easier to make.

I'd be more interested in an iPad Mini with RD, and believe that the utility of RD is under-estimated. But I think logic suggests a slimmed-down iPad is more likely to come first.

• Reply 26 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But the inside has been updated, at almost every iteration. And I like it that the outside has looked the same all these years. Shows it's a winner...or something.

Or something.

• Reply 27 of 28
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Or production starts now or has started... They have no supply issues and will when it is released.
  • Reply 28 of 28

Sad that they aren't gonna release a new model refreshed design anytime soon. Guess this is what happens when Apple decides to release an iPad 3.5 with minor tweaks and another one with a larger capacity in the past few months.