AppGratis CEO in 'total disbelief' over rejection since Apple approved app 'a week ago'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This guy sounds like a complete fool.  I bet he was under the impression that Apple would buy him out someday and roll his app into their efforts to highlight apps in the store or something.  Nothing else could explain how bewildered he seems and how terribly disappointed, despite knowing that his app obviously breaks the rules.  

His statements are nonsensical.  He says that it was approved earlier, even though he knows that this makes no difference to the ultimate rejection.  He says that he is using notifications "how Apple tells it's developers to use them" despite admitting that he is sending notifications that are in fact promotions.  I mean the entire purpose of his app is promotion (and paid promotion at that).  He cites complexity as a reason he is not "just a website" but then mentions how all he really does is send one notification a day about whatever app he's highlighting that day.  

In short, his answers and pleadings are all incredulous whinging about things that he isn't even being criticised for, and yet he has no real answer at all to the key complaints actually being levelled against him.  

Classic denial.  image

I actually had this app on my phone - it *does* send one notification a day but it says nothing about what is being promoted. IIRC, it says something like "Today's AppGratis deal is here". I do agree the app is toeing the line, if it hadn't already crossed it, so I'm also a little surprised he was surprised.

I did find it useful but i ultimately realised I was downloading apps that I would never really use. So I deleted it.

But he has a a point. There's a crapload of fluff in the App Store and finding the good stuff can be very difficult.

• Reply 22 of 42
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh come on I totally believe his disbelief and find your disbelief of his disbelief hard to believe! image

"…believe or believe not -- there is no try…"

If they [AppGratis] truly did get these assurances at a managerial  (i.e., pay grade) level high enough up then it would be wrong to yank it now. The problem is that without some sort of 'memorandum of understanding' they are sunk.

• Reply 23 of 42
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I am seeing more and more apps showing up on Itunes which are crossing the line, At first they were very benign and now they are more intrusive with the ads method to get you

The wife downloaded a free solitaire game, which has the little ad banners at the bottom or top. Well that is fine until you refuse to buy tokens to add more feature. It has some sort of ad timer that if you do not click on an ad or buy upgrade it stops the game and will not let you play until the ad timer refill so to say, It will show you full screens ads which try to get to buy other apps or other things. Until you watch or click on enough of these or wait a few hours it will not let you pay the game again. I bet this does not meet Apple requirements, I expect this on Google Play and the Android apps but not iOS apps.

Some of these develops can not relay on producing a good product they are only interest in collecting money way they can.

• Reply 24 of 42
    Apples App Store rules regarding duplicating App Store functionality are ridiculous! If Apple had a descent App Store app, millions of people wouldn't be looking elsewhere for features the App Store app doesn't offer!

Does the App Store tell me what apps are trending with my friends? No. Does the App Store allow me to create an app wish list? No. Does the App Store alert me when an App on my wish list is on sale? No. Does App Store even have a "On Sale" section? No. For these reasons I never browse for apps on the App Store interface, it's horrible and really hasn't changed that much since day one other than a superficial makeover.

I use an App like AppGratis (AppShopper) that was pulled when Apple made their new rules. I'm so glad I'm grandfathered in! I should have downloaded AppGratis when it was available :(

Also since I'm ranting, Apple needs to blow us out of the water with iOS 7, changing the icon and the way the UI looks is only icing on the cake. Features that these apps provide is the cake and Apple better not kick back and continue serving us SoS!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It's quite simple, either comply with the rules, or get lost. It's not really that hard of a concept to grasp.

If certain developers are not too bright, then they are better off making apps for Android.

Please. He makes a perfectly valid point that he thoroughly complied by Apple's rules - working with them on both counts at issue which Apple then approved.

I have been an avid Apple fan for 20 years, stock owner for 12+, but am finding, sadly, a subtle distaste for my favorite company.

I'm grateful for their protected ecosystem but this is bordering on policing and disservices their customers and developers.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    "Dalwat says that attempts to talk to Apple app reviewers have been unfruitful"

LOL This is Apple, you have to worship them before you can talk to them (if you are lucky)
  • Reply 27 of 42
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Why not just side load it? Oh yeah, that's right, iOS can't sideload.
  • Reply 28 of 42

The guys somewhat fair complaint is that the app just recently passed the review fine and then it gets yanked without any warning.

The rule is pretty stupid, in my opinion.  The App Store IS broken for new entrants and other apps, like this one, are needed to weed through so much App Store noise.  I have relied on AppShopper's RSS subscriptions for years in order to find cool new apps, sales, and free apps.  

While I think @apple ][ and @gazoobee are both somewhat right, I see it more as Apple being protectionist of their own interests.

• Reply 29 of 42
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member

I'll bet a buck that his actual disbelief came when the app was initially approved.   A 'Wow", they didn't notice we broke the rules.  

• Reply 30 of 42
    rob bonner wrote: »
    I'll bet a buck that his actual disbelief came when the app was initially approved.   A 'Wow", they didn't notice we broke the rules.  

You are surely right on that one. The rules were passed a while ago that should have eliminated hos app.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This app is getting way too much exposure.

Free advertising.  Like P.T. Barnum said "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."

Even if is is bad press it still is free advertising. 

• Reply 32 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

It's truly reprehensible what Apple has done here. This is EXACTLY why there are so many Apple haters out there who will only buy PCs or Android devices. And this isn't new behavior for Apple... Apple has ALWAYS been "developer hostile" from day one of the company's inception.

Google culls apps, too.

Your response to this is what, troll?

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Why not just side load it? Oh yeah, that's right, iOS can't sideload.

Why sideload it? Oh yeah, that's right; who the FRICK wants to do that EVER?

• Reply 33 of 42
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I actually had this app on my phone - it *does* send one notification a day but it says nothing about what is being promoted. IIRC, it says something like "Today's AppGratis deal is here". I do agree the app is toeing the line, if it hadn't already crossed it, so I'm also a little surprised he was surprised.

I did find it useful but i ultimately realised I was downloading apps that I would never really use. So I deleted it.

But he has a a point. There's a crapload of fluff in the App Store and finding the good stuff can be very difficult.

Honestly, I have so many Apps that like to tell me something everyday. Moreover, there are plenty of Apps like Groupon that tell you about a deal of the day. Starbuck's app today started giving away Angry Birds Star Wars addition for free. So, it is an App promoting an App. Apple is going to let that slide though. 

Moreover, we need help finding good apps. 

• Reply 34 of 42
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Yea right. I suppose you are going to go spend tons of time and money to go develop an App that you think is going to be rejected. Very bright. This company has a staff of over 45 people and has been on the App Store since 2008.

From the CEO's mouth, "As the CEO of a 45-person company, all who I’ve hired myself and deeply respect and care for, it’s pretty obvious that I would never have crossed Apple’s rules so foolishly, risking the jobs of so many people and the destiny of a company it took me four years to build."

The fact is Apple is screwing a developer who sunk a lot of time and resources developing an unique app, just for Apple to change the rules. Moreover, the rules aren't always clear cut. 

• Reply 35 of 42
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

More like - one would need to have very little sense of self worth to stick around. That only works until there is somewhere else to go - Anyone that has been in the business for some time can see we all back in 1993... just a matter of time.

And they came back roaring, didn't they? No single company have made such an impact on technology world like they did. Obviously they can came mistakes sometime but that should not take away all the credit. 

Off course, Apple can/will fall as they are on a roll. Nothings lastst forever. That's natural. But it seems you are  celebrating too early. Do not make yourself look like Michael Dell. You should know how Dell ate his words after he advised Apple to liquidate and give back to shareholders.

• Reply 36 of 42
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why sideload it? Oh yeah, that's right; who the FRICK wants to do that EVER?

Developers, people who want software that's not available on Google Play (like Firefox Aurora).  

On Android, sideloading is often used for installing alternative app stores (like Amazon's), or installing apps from another program (the Opera browser has it's own Android app store).  

• Reply 37 of 42
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Read your own comment. It makes no sense. How would he secure funding for a company that he believes would end upon initial rejection of their service due to violation of Apple's terms? This doesn't seem to be a side project of a much larger company.

• Reply 38 of 42
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    It sounds like this app isn't really an app as it doesn't actually offer any real functionality and should be just a website.
  • Reply 39 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Read your own comment. It makes no sense. How would he secure funding for a company that he believes would end upon initial rejection of their service due to violation of Apple's terms? This doesn't seem to be a side project of a much larger company.

They changed the app.  Also, he contradicts himself many times:  (Blog entry)

Friday, April 5th was the day Apple decided to pull AppGratis out of the App Store, leaving our 12 million iOS users wondering where one of their favorite apps had gone, my 45 employees wondering if they’d still have a job next week, my partners and investors in shock, and myself with an absolutely crazy situation to deal with, thousands of miles away from our headquarters.

First, 12 million iOS users are not wondering where their app went, it is still there on their devices.  I suspect all they need to do is a) remove the notifications  b) add other value to the app that extends the app store.  Then they are back.

My take on this is that instead of blaming Apple for all of his issues, it would be better to ask 'How can I have my app play by the published rules'.  The above just sounds like an attempt to pressure Apple into making an exception.

• Reply 40 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

It sounds like this app isn't really an app as it doesn't actually offer any real functionality and should be just a website.

You obviously haven't used it. That's the problem with you, and the many like you. These "I've never even heard of it, so it's a waste..." comments only prove ignorance. Many (millions, as mentioned) find value in an app discovery app like this. I won't waste my time to fill you in on what this app has to offer, nor how it does it, or any other details about why it's useful. There are plenty of truly useless apps in the App Store, but this wasn't one of them. 

I use it, and I'm glad the functionality of it seems to still be intact. 

Apple is slowly pushing away users/customers. If I didn't love every piece of my Apple pie for many reasons, I'd strongly start looking at alternatives. Sadly, there isn't one other platform I'd even consider for many reasons. As of right now, I have more reasons to stay with Apple products than I do to leave the ecosystem. Time will tell if Apple pushes me (and others like me) over the breaking point.