IDC: PC shipments see steepest quarterly decline ever, Apple drops 7.5% [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Estimates from market analysis firm IDC released on Wednesday show the overall PC market declined 13.9 percent year over year in the first quarter of 2013, the worst single-quarter slip on record.

Update: This article now includes numbers from Gartner, which were also published today. Interestingly, the firm's estimates conflict with IDC's preliminaries, especially regarding Apple's shipments, which Gartner found to have grown during the first quarter.

According to data from IDC's Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker, the nearly 14 percent fall is almost twice what was expected for the sector. This is the fourth consecutive quarter of declines.

The U.S. saw 14.2 million combined shipments as the PC market continued to free-fall in quarter one, declining 12.7 percent year-to-year on . The contraction represents a 18.3 percent sequential drop compared to the fourth quarter of 2012. Total shipments reached 2006 levels, making the first three months of 2013 the tenth straight quarter of year-on-year declines, not counting a brief reprieve in the third quarter of 2011 that saw less than 2 percent growth.

Preliminary estimates had Apple at 1.4 million units shipped, netting the company 10 percent of the U.S. market in the first quarter, a 7.5 percent drop from the same period in 2012. The performance allowed Apple to hold on to third place behind HP and Dell. While the Cupertino company performed slightly better than other OEMs in the U.S., the company was a victim of steep competition from its own iPad, IDC said.

The two front runners were hit hardest with massive U.S. shipment contractions of 22.9 percent for HP and 14.4 percent for Dell. Number one HP managed to keep its position on over 3.5 million units shipped, but Dell closed the gap with just over 3 million shipments. Worldwide, HP suffered 23.7 percent negative growth year over year due to internal restructuring.

Following the top three were Toshiba and Lenovo, the latter being the only manufacturer to post positive growth in the U.S. during the three-month period, saw decent gains of 13 percent. Asia/Pacific shipments for the company declined, however, leveling out the firm's overall growth. HP and Lenovo were neck and neck for worldwide shipments, separated by less than 300,000 units.

PC Estimates
U.S. shipments in thousands of units. | Source: IDC

Interestingly, the launch of Microsoft's Windows 8 didn't help shipments, and according to IDC, actually kneecapped the segment.

"At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market," said Bob O'Donnell, IDC Program Vice President, Clients and Displays. "While some consumers appreciate the new form factors and touch capabilities of Windows 8, the radical changes to the UI, removal of the familiar Start button, and the costs associated with touch have made PCs a less attractive alternative to dedicated tablets and other competitive devices. Microsoft will have to make some very tough decisions moving forward if it wants to help reinvigorate the PC market."

O'Donnell referenced the poor adoption rate of the newest Windows operating system, which contributed to significant shipment drops across all regions compared to the same quarter in 2012. The lackluster reception of Windows 8 was not fully to blame for the decline, however, as traditional barriers of price and supply held back manufacturer attempts to revitalize the sector with "Ultrabooks" and other innovations. The efforts appear to be largely unsuccessful, with consumers finding the upgrades too clunky or too costly to warrant a purchase.

Gartner Estimates

Gartner has also issued their own PC shipment estimates for the first quarter of 2013, and while the numbers are mostly in line with IDC, the firm has grossly different data for Apple

While IDC estimated Apple's growth to have atrophied 7.5 percent year to year, Gartner noted in its report that the company actually saw positive U.S. growth of 7.4 percent. By comparison, Gartner estimated that Apple shipped over 1.65 million Macs for the quarter, a 230,000 unit disparity from IDC's findings.

Gartner PC Estimates
U.S. shipments in thousands of units. | Source: Gartner

Interestingly, the firm's estimates relating to the other top-five vendors are similar to IDC's, including the overall rankings for the companies. The exact numbers, however, were somewhat different. For example, as noted above, HP and Lenovo were in almost tied for the top position worldwide, but Gartner had the U.S. company outperforming by about 20,000 units compared to IDC's nearly 300,000 units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Perhaps Moore's law of speed doubling has finally surpassed people's need for faster computers. Even a five year old computer is plenty fast enough for many consumers. Plus, there is no compelling reason for upgrading to anything beyond XP on Windows and even many Mac users are content with SL. Then of course there is the iPad factor.

Economic conditions aren't helping either.

• Reply 2 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Assuming these estimates are accurate it's hard to argue that we're not in a Post-PC era.

Another takeaway is that it shows Apple increasing its marketshare to double digits. Perhaps not significant by itself but when you consider that around 5% Apple had over 90% of the $1000 and up market and was taking 1/3rd of the market's profits. Those ratios are likely higher now.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    It's a good thing Apple releases their internal information to the IDC so we know we can trust their figures.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

It's a good thing Apple releases their internal information to the IDC so we know we can trust their figures.

He he! :)

• Reply 5 of 49
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Ok I'm confused. iMac is selling well but Apple's Mac sales are down. Teens love iPhone and its selling well, but Apple's suppliers are making way less money because no one is buying iPhones. iPhone 5 is a hit but it's a flop.

Which is it please? Is Apple doing well or crashing?
  • Reply 6 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Assuming these estimates are accurate it's hard to argue that we're not in a Post-PC era.

Remember Q1 for Apple is when they didn't have the iMac for sale so that's about 1.2m units worldwide. Apple reports their worldwide figures here:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/01/23Apple-Reports-Record-Results.html

With that factored in, Apple would probably show a slight growth over last year. The report coming in a couple of weeks will be more reliable.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And the general foolishness of a report about PC sales that doesn't include tablets.  

• Reply 8 of 49

Quote:

As long as it doesn't turn into a post-Ballmer era, Apple will continue to have no real competition going forward. Apple is great, but having monkey boy at the helm of the good ship Microsoft makes it even better. 

Quote:

Another takeaway is that it shows Apple increasing its marketshare to double digits. Perhaps not significant by itself but when you consider that around 5% Apple had over 90% of the $1000 and up market and was taking 1/3rd of the market's profits. Those ratios are likely higher now.

I agree. It does make my head spin to see the good old names of HP and Dell floundering on the rocks. How the once strong have lost their shine while Apple has surged is dumbfounding!

• Reply 9 of 49
    Lenovo's numbers are down. Missing a minus sign somewhere?

1274-1127=147

I am recovering from the flu so excuse me if I am wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    edit: Correction made.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeoco View Post

Lenovo's numbers are down. Missing a minus sign somewhere?

1274-1127=147

I am recovering from the flu so excuse me if I am wrong.

1127 is under the 1Q12 column. That number relates to the prior year.

• Reply 12 of 49
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

As a prior poster noted, an iMac that's a few years old is plenty fast. What's really going to spike sales is when Apple converts their entire laptop and iMac lines to retina displays. When they do, even us nerds who have been sitting on the fence will upgrade.

We all know it's coming. That will be the one killer feature that will compel many to lay out their credit cards.

• Reply 13 of 49
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Remember Q1 for Apple is when they didn't have the iMac for sale so that's about 1.2m units worldwide. Apple reports their worldwide figures here:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/01/23Apple-Reports-Record-Results.html

With that factored in, Apple would probably show a slight growth over last year. The report coming in a couple of weeks will be more reliable.

Apple's Q1 is Oct-Dec, IDC is talking about Jan-Mar (what Apple calls Q2 and hasn't reported yet). These are estimates.

• Reply 14 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Estimates from market analysis firm IDC released on Wednesday show the overall PC market declined 13.9 percent year over year in the first quarter of 2013, the worst single-quarter slip on record.

<strong>Update:</strong> This article now includes numbers from Gartner, which were also published today. Interestingly, the firm's estimates conflict with IDC's preliminaries, especially regarding Apple's shipments, which Gartner found to have grown during the first quarter.

What's so interesting about it? IDC has been far more pessimistic in their projections for Apple than Gartner for years.

Gartner has, however, been more accurate.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    IDC is off its rocker. All material demands in the Semiconductor industry are up > 12%. DDR3/DDR5 RAM is jumping massively, including power supplies, and other PC Parts. How come? Parts constraints due to underestimating demands and flushing out remaining components.

http://www.electroiq.com/articles/sst/2013/01/idc-semiconductor-revenues-will-grow-in-2013.html

IDC is projecting under the delusion that consumers are embracing the cloud and all they need is higher speed internet connectivity, embedded space gadgets and the cloud.

Apple will once again come along and show how their idea of the cloud will be a local/remote collaborative environment with the home having their own iCloud for the Mac Ecosystem and the iCloud global data centers for remote cloud which can also tie into the home icloud via a ssh connection and WebDAV.

People are investing in their streaming libraries of content purchased and they don't have the bandwidth to offload it to the global cloud and leave it hanging in data centers.

Corporations want a local/remote relationship, not an either/or relationship.

Apple will lead and everyone else will be a me too.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Oh, my.

Well, AAPL will probably be hammered tomorrow, because...

Well, just because. It's a computer company, isn't it?
  • Reply 17 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps Moore's law of speed doubling has finally surpassed people's need for faster computers. Even a five year old computer is plenty fast enough for many consumers. Plus, there is no compelling reason for upgrading to anything beyond XP on Windows and even many Mac users are content with SL. Then of course there is the iPad factor.

Economic conditions aren't helping either.

A couple years ago, I would have been onboard with you about WindowsXP.  Windows7 is now my standard.  I keep WinXP on a virtual machine simply for those archaic apps that can't go beyond that.

I can't ever fathom going back to XP.  Windows7 is by far the best one to use.  Windows 8 is the new Vista.  It's nowhere near ready for enterprise use.

• Reply 18 of 49
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Aww crap, this just makes my head hurt.

Everything is just anybody's guess. Leave it at that.

(I guess?)

• Reply 19 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have to doubt the reports of a huge collapse in Apples Mac shipments for the quarter. This is mainly due to the fact that they where servicing a lot of pent up demand for the iMac this quarter. Next quarter may be another story. The one curve ball here is in laptops which it appears that Apple is having troubles with. The laptops of course being a problem that Apple made for themselves.

Frankly I'm still predicting the return of the desktop machine. The fact is that for many of us the iPad is a portable computer that is good enough. That doesn't replace the need for a more traditional computing environment though which is where a decent desktop machine could shine. As iPad comes into its own it will be very interesting to see if there is an uptick in the percentage of desktop sales.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doesn't IDC just make up numbers? Anyone have their past projections for this quarter?