Consolidation in struggling PC market considered 'inevitable' as sales plummet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure they do. It has to do with screen size. The reason I prefer a large screen iMac is because it is a better user experience.

How is something that cannot be used with one hand shoehorned into a product category designed to be used with one hand a "better" experience? 

You're still missing the dissimilarity here. You don't have to pan on an iPad and you don't "see more" with a larger TV. In fact, unless the resolution goes up, it's a worse user experience.

A tiny wooden stool is just as pleasant of an experience to sit on as an overstuffed couch with an ottoman. /s

And there's a third completely incomparable analogy…

• Reply 42 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How is something that cannot be used with one hand shoehorned into a product category designed to be used with one hand a "better" experience? 

Do you not have another hand? What are you doing with the other hand?  What about when you hold the iPad? How many hands are you using? One hand...yeah, right. Yep, that is the differentiation between an iPad and a desktop alright. /s

The iPad has only one advantage - it is portable. In every other regard it is less capable than its desktop counterpart with perhaps the the exception that it can be easier for very young children whose coordination skills have not yet fully developed but in general it has less ergonomic practicality and ease of use is compromised due to its form factor.

The analogies are that computing on a little screen is not as pleasant of an experience as computing on a larger screen which is why trying to do any computing task on an iPhone is much more difficult than doing it on an iPad and in both cases is more difficult than doing the computing task on an iMac. At a certain point there is no additional advantage to having a larger screen for a computer, or a home TV for that matter but 27-30" is a very nice size for a computer screen in my opinion. 10" not so much.

• Reply 43 of 66
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

The iPad has only one advantage - it is portable. In every other regard it is less capable than its desktop counterpart with perhaps the the exception that it can be easier for very young children whose coordination skills have not yet fully developed but in general it has less ergonomic practicality and ease of use is compromised due to its form factor.

I think the portability is a big selling point for content consumption. It's about what you have with you. People used camera phones even when they were terrible because the phone was with them the vast majority of the time. I do not see the demise of desktop displays in upcoming years. If margins continue to shrink, you'll likely see greater reuse of panel designs across different products. 16:9 was already brought on by reusing television panels and LG is in practically everything. For times when you need to work on something for an extended period of time, tablets aren't very good. Notebooks are pretty bad too. The ergonomics aren't really there.

• Reply 44 of 66
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What's "uncomfortable" is the walled garden approaches that kills off abilities that power users want and expect from a computing device. The need to hack a system to jailbreak to get functionality you would normally find on a full-fledged computer is not sitting right with me or many others.

Give me full access to the system on iOS, just like on OS X -- make it an option! iOS devices COULD be SO much more than they are today if Apple opened them up!

So, need to tell the larger group of others that are OK with the "walled garden".   This is the false belief that most people have issues with.  "If I think like this, there are a bunch others that do as well".  Well, not so many.  What Steve Jobs said was that the PC as it stands would still be there for those that want or need it but that for most of the consumers, they don't care.  You will still have your OS X flavor of computer but to think that that will go away and be completely replaced by a tablet and that the table will be your OS X environment is really misguided.

• Reply 45 of 66
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

Quote:

Do you not have another hand? What are you doing with the other hand?  What about when you hold the iPad? How many hands are you using? One hand...yeah, right. Yep, that is the differentiation between an iPad and a desktop alright. /s

The analogies are that computing on a little screen is not as pleasant of an experience as computing on a larger screen which is why trying to do any computing task on an iPhone is much more difficult than doing it on an iPad and in both cases is more difficult than doing the computing task on an iMac. At a certain point there is no additional advantage to having a larger screen for a computer, or a home TV for that matter but 27-30" is a very nice size for a computer screen in my opinion. 10" not so much.

Here's a thought.  Just how much "computing" is done by most of the people who own PCs?   Even my laptop at work is a glorified terminal as most of the "computing" is done on a build server which has the power and the economies of scale.  Most consumers use their devices to browse the web and read email.  There's not much heavy "computing" going on.  That's why smart phones and tables rule the day and PC based machines are in decline.   It's not fiction, it is happening.

• Reply 46 of 66

Anecdotal, I know, but when I had my MB, iPad and iPhone. I basically stopped carrying my MB. In fact, I sold it and used my iPad and iPhone pretty much 90% of the time. Very mobile.

I still have my orig. intel 20" iMac for "heavy lifting!" But I'm actually using it less and less, too.

I sold my iPad and am using my iPhone and iMac now. Not ideal, but OK.

I'm waiting for the next iteration of the iPad Mini and will upgrade my iP4s in Oct.

I would love it to be all I need (plus a TimeCapsule and an ATV).

An iPad Mini and iP5s. No desktop or laptop at all!

I think that is certainly where we're heading. But we're just not there yet.

Like many here, I find it hard not to have a large desktop (iMac) at home to hold all my photos, music, etc.

Perhaps this next cycle I will have to upgrade to the new 27" iMac or maybe just an MBA. 

• Reply 47 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambira View Post

Here's a thought.  Just how much "computing" is done by most of the people who own PCs?   Even my laptop at work is a glorified terminal as most of the "computing" is done on a build server which has the power and the economies of scale.  Most consumers use their devices to browse the web and read email.  There's not much heavy "computing" going on.  That's why smart phones and tables rule the day and PC based machines are in decline.   It's not fiction, it is happening.

When it supports their argument people claim, the iPad is a powerful computing device that replaces traditional computers, however, when confronted with its limited capabilities, the argument shifts to most people don't need a powerful computing device.

Perhaps I just don't know how to do this on an iPad, but a few minutes ago I wanted to search a long government html document for a particular word. I can't seem to locate the find in document input box using mobile Safari. Can anyone help me out?

• Reply 48 of 66
    mstone wrote: »
    sambira wrote: »
    When it supports their argument people claim, the iPad is a powerful computing device that replaces traditional computers, however, when confronted with its limited capabilities, the argument shifts to most people don't need a powerful computing device.

Perhaps I just don't know how to do this on an iPad, but a few minutes ago I wanted to search a long government html document for a particular word. I can't seem to locate the find in document input box using mobile Safari. Can anyone help me out?

Just tap the search box in the upper right-hand corner of mobile Safari.

The search box will be highlighted and a drop-down of recent searches will be shown below it, Below that is the keyboard layout with another search box labeled "Find on Page".

Have at it!
  • Reply 49 of 66
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

I don't get this whole "the desktop has a future because I like big displays" argument. Hook a big display up to a tablet and have both. A big display is an accessory. This is also why "tablets are for content consumption" is completely back-to-front. Big displays are for content consumption. Even professionals who insist on big displays are usually using them for "content consumption" (i.e., displaying documentation alongside an IDE). Tablets are for interaction. Touch is a better and more direct interaction method than the (indirect) mouse or trackpad. That's why tablets are rapidly replacing PCs. The mouse/trackpad was a kludge because we didn't have touch. The laptop is a compromised form factor because we didn't have touch. The desktop has been irrelevant for years already. It's amusing that people are still maintaining the tablet can't rival PCs while the entire PC market is crashing.

• Reply 50 of 66

Quote:

I hate safari.

• Reply 51 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

PCs: "more than half of the industry profits despite 10 percent share"

Phones: 3/4 of industry profits despite 20 percent share

Tablets: virtually all industry profits despite 60 percent share

The law of diminishing returns! Apple is doomed!!

Must follow Samsung, HP and seek higher share, lower profits, or will be forced to follow the history of Blackberry and Nokia in falling from success at the hands of the next Apple!!!

Sell, folks. Apple is success-toast. There's no way for it to outperform every industry it participates in greater than it already has, because no company like Apple has ever existed before, and therefore can't. New things simply don't happen.

Expect Windows 9 to rapidly turn things around in 2015. And before that, two more releases of Android, including Lemon Lime Soda Flavored Sorbet, with PowerWidgets that flash glittering rainbows with infrared advertising.

I expect anti-monopoly legislation soon as Apple is forced to make their products "less good"
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I don't get this whole "the desktop has a future because I like big displays" argument. Hook a big display up to a tablet and have both. A big display is an accessory. This is also why "tablets are for content consumption" is completely back-to-front. Big displays are for content consumption. Even professionals who insist on big displays are usually using them for "content consumption" (i.e., displaying documentation alongside an IDE). Tablets are for interaction. Touch is a better and more direct interaction method than the (indirect) mouse or trackpad. That's why tablets are rapidly replacing PCs. The mouse/trackpad was a kludge because we didn't have touch. The laptop is a compromised form factor because we didn't have touch. The desktop has been irrelevant for years already. It's amusing that people are still maintaining the tablet can't rival PCs while the entire PC market is crashing.

No. No. No. Content creators are NOT using tablets and many of them need that larger monitor over a laptop -- not just because the desktop has more power. Editing video on a laptop is very cramped. 3D designers, spreadsheets, desktop publishing -- there are many crafts that require more screen real estate.

It's just that content creators are NOT a large part of the market, as desktop and laptop distributors would like to believe. The people who "DO" are not enough to prop up the market. Which is going to be frustrating as the access to desktops shrinks.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    poke wrote: »

You're being a tad hyperbolic don't you think?

Like @mstone. many of us learned "to drive" using "trucks" instead of "cars" -- trucks were the only thing available -- had the power we needed -- were configurable to meet our needs -- when they broke we could fix them (or work around the problems)... We were, and still are, comfortable driving trucks...

And for some purposes trucks are better than cars -- hauling supplies or refuse or a boat (and a car)...

Enough with the analogies... you get the drill!

I do things like [home personal] video editing on a maxed-out iMac 27" with an attached 23" external Monitor. What I do with this configuration, I cannot accomplish on an iPad.

At the same time, I have my loaded iPad 4 sitting beside the iMac (next to the keyboard, in front of the external monitor).

There are things I can do on the iPad that I cannot do as well or as easily on the iMac... And I can take my work with me to the couch, bedroom or the middle of a soccer field.

I can justify use of both paradigms -- others may choose one, the other or both. This doesn't make me right and them wrong -- just different strokes.

Since you used the big display to illustrate how some people differentiate a [power] desktop computer from an [appliance] iPad -- let me describe a power desktop computer from a few years back.

Among other things, this computer was used for power number-crunching by major corporations.

The power app that made this possible was Microsoft Excel.

The power computer that made this possible was the original Mac... the year was 1985, and here are the specs of that [power desktop] Mac computer:

It is interesting to note the display size of that power desktop computer of yesteryear...

The original iPad is superior in almost every way (hardware, OS and software) to that Mac. (Except for screen size, the iPhone is superior, too).

Oddly enough, I cannot run Excel on the superior iPad.

I can run Apple Numbers on the iPad -- but it does not have all the features found in the Mac version.

I have a Numbers spreadsheet that requires Table Categories. I want all members of our household to use this! Each has his own personal iPad. But the Table Categories "feature" is not available on iOS Numbers...

So, each of us, in turn must use an iMac on the desktop.

Spoken from the real world, by an [over] enthusiastic iPad advocate... nay evangelist.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can run Apple Numbers on the iPad -- but it does not have all the features found in the Mac version.

I have a Numbers spreadsheet that requires Table Categories. I want all members of our household to use this! Each has his own personal iPad. But the Table Categories "feature" is not available on iOS Numbers...

Spoken from the real world, by an [over] enthusiastic iPad advocate... nay evangelist.

Have you tried any of the cloud based Office suites like Google Docs or MS' Office in the cloud?  They should run on an iPad browser, no?  

(BTW, I'm a huge desktop/laptop advocate, but I also do alot of programming)

• Reply 55 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just tap the search box in the upper right-hand corner of mobile Safari.

The search box will be highlighted and a drop-down of recent searches will be shown below it, Below that is the keyboard layout with another search box labeled "Find on Page".

Have at it!

Thanks. It is always the last place you look.

• Reply 56 of 66

Quote:

I don't get this whole "the desktop has a future because I like big displays" argument. Hook a big display up to a tablet and have both. 

Fortunately I can afford all of Apple's form factors so I have my choice of devices. I have always said that you should choose the right tool for the job.

I am curious if you could choose only one other computing device besides your iPhone, which would it be?

I know I would choose my 15" rMBP because it can do everything plus it is mobile. Of course I would miss the big screen of my desktop but since I can only choose one that is what it would be.

• Reply 57 of 66
    poke wrote: »

No. No. No. Content creators are NOT using tablets and many of them need that larger monitor over a laptop -- not just because the desktop has more power. Editing video on a laptop is very cramped. 3D designers, spreadsheets, desktop publishing -- there are many crafts that require more screen real estate.

It's just that content creators are NOT a large part of the market, as desktop and laptop distributors would like to believe. The people who "DO" are not enough to prop up the market. Which is going to be frustrating as the access to desktops shrinks.

I agree with most of what you say...

But I believe content creators do use iPads... and will do so to an increasing extent as the device matures to fulfill its manifest destiny.

For video creation, currently, there are ancillary iPad apps for things like scripts, storyboarding, clapboards, etc.

Also, there are basic "video editing" iPad apps By Adobe, Apple and Avid:

And, no less an enterprise than Light Iron, has created speciality iPad apps to participate in post process:

http://www.lightiron.com/products

I have seen (but cannot recall where) examples of iPads being used to capture news events or sports highlights

This is a bit dated (2011) but it may be more applicable today than in 2011. I have a friend who is an executive for a major broadcast network. I asked my friend how FCPX would be used in their network (emphasis mine):

FCP is actually a powerful program but I still think iMovie does the job for most less than 10 minutes productions. Its real value is revealed when using After Effects or Motion, integrated tight in the production. Content is still king and video 'direction' makes a video look pro... not really the 'editing' tools in most cases.

If you ever travel to NY I would love to give you a tour of some of the edit suites and see how the product is integrated in the workflow. FCP is not the main edit tool, however as a FCP fan you will see its value when connected to graphic virtual sets and tapeless video ingest servers. Pretty amazing in capable hands. But you will also see how simple on & off-line systems (equiv. to iMovie) does the bulk of the work.

I agree that a laptop with an external display is adequate for many video editing needs especially smaller projects and demos. More robust hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage) is required for larger jobs...

This does not, necessarily, eliminate the iPad. I suspect that Apple's next "pro" hardware offering will be modular "boxes" interconnected by Thunderbolt (1 and 2). These "boxes" can be added (or removed) as needed to match the processing power to the job at hand. E.G., a 4K edit might require extra GPU/Video RM boxes and extra storage boxes.

I believe, that somewhere(s) in this process will be multitouch tablet devices -- maybe not doing the actual "heavy lifting" but providing a UI that allows the editor to get what he wants by getting his hands dirty.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    mikeb85 wrote: »

Have you tried any of the cloud based Office suites like Google Docs or MS' Office in the cloud?  They should run on an iPad browser, no?  

(BTW, I'm a huge desktop/laptop advocate, but I also do alot of programming)

We have not tried any of the cloud-based Office suites... We have no MS Office apps on any of our Macs -- iWork (OSX) is adequate for our needs.

The Numbers "categories" feature is similar to "pivot tables" in Excel... so I suppose it could work online...

I hope that Apple will add feature parity between OSX and iOS iWork Apps in the near future.

Programming... there isn't an app for that! On the device for the device... sigh! I think this was the biggest issue Alan Kay had when he recently expressed disappointment that the iPad did not live up to the ideals of DynaBook.

I agree that it needs to be provided!
  • Reply 59 of 66

Quote:

It's okay if you've never done that kind of work before. It gets to a point with peripheral devices where you're basically restricted to one spot either way. Notebook keyboards are nowhere near as comfortable, so I prefer a full sized keyboard, although I like the slim ones Apple uses today over the older styles. Add in a couple displays, wide format printer, NAS, large graphics tablet, and other random items, and it's no longer a go anywhere solution regardless of what of base machine you hook up. You also misinterpret the concept of crashing somewhat. The PC market is primarily crashing from the bottom up rather than the top down. The desktop as a budget PC may be a thing of the past, but we aren't to the point where there is no stratification in performance. Some of the higher margin items will survive for many years. It's just the enormous vendors like Dell and HP are highly dependent on sales volume, especially with the commoditization of the server market where some larger companies like Google directly contract ODMs for their server needs. On a side note, I would really enjoy a large touch screen with a solid base that allows for it to be angled comfortably. Wacom makes something like that, but they have too many flawed hardware designs.

• Reply 60 of 66
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Notebook keyboards are nowhere near as comfortable, so I prefer a full sized keyboard, although I like the slim ones Apple uses today over the older styles. 

Guess you've never used a ThinkPad keyboard before...