Taiwanese authorities probing Samsung over 'dirty tricks' against HTC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Hiring shills to write phony reviews is hardly novel. And not illegal in the US, either. It's called "advertising".

Please do something called "research" before you make that claim.

Hiring shills is not illegal ONLY if you don't get caught doing it.

• Reply 22 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

I swear, "Wall Street Cheat Sheet" autochecks AppleInsider for new stories and then reposts them as their own. The minute after a story is posted on AI, Cheat Sheet posts it on the Yahoo newsreader with their own spin.

Actions which are beyond lazy, because AI oft times repurposes the posts of Philip Elmer DeWitt, The Verge, Engadget, etc. to repurpose and post them under their own headline. I'd love to see more original reporting here.

• Reply 23 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... They seem more and more inclined to do whatever it takes to gain market share, ethical or not.

I think this is mostly based on the illusion that they were a normal, mostly moral type of company to begin with (that they've now "gone bad" or whatever).  There is in fact a long history from what I've heard of Samsung operating outside of the law or laws.  I know most large companies are semi-corrupt and all have corrupt employees here or there, but again, based on what I've heard, Samsung has a long history of deliberate actions of this sort and worse.  

• Reply 24 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Stay Classy, Sammy.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Does anybody really think that Taiwan is the only country where Samsung is doing this? My guess is that they do similarly unethical marketing activities in all major markets, but Taiwan is the only place where they've been caught red-handed... so far.
  • Reply 26 of 49

Not surprised ... didn't they publicly state they were dissatisfied with Windows 8 and no longer going to support/build products running it? Not to mention all the ads making fun of iPhone users ... Samsung needs to continue investing (or to a larger degree anyway) in promoting themselves rather than being concerned crtitisizing everyone else.

• Reply 27 of 49
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Shocked¡

And they will only get slap on the wrist.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    davendaven Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actions which are beyond lazy, because AI oft times repurposes the posts of Philip Elmer DeWitt, The Verge, Engadget, etc. to repurpose and post them under their own headline. I'd love to see more original reporting here.

At least AI posts stories that are more than a few lines long.  WS Cheatsheet posts new 'articles' ad nausuaum and always with a yellow journalism headline to get clicks.  There is never, well 99.9% of the time, any substance in their reports but they are plastered all over Yahoo.com.

• Reply 29 of 49
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member
    Tallest skil....wow you are deluded.You could go to Android forums bit no-one cares about your Apple baiting.

I like AP, as contrary to the name they do cover a broader spectrum of news.
  • Reply 30 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Shocked¡

• Reply 31 of 49
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Cue Kdarling and Gatorguy saying that they're only allegations and there's no actual proof that Samsung would ever do anything like that.

Ignoring, of course, all the times they HAVE been caught doing things that are illegal and unethical.

They will also ignore the simple fact Samsung has already admitted they are guilty.

• Reply 32 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    steven n. wrote: »
    They will also ignore the simple fact Samsung has already admitted they are guilty.

Credit where credit is due. GatorGuy has acknowledged it (in this thread as a matter of fact) but when I brought the Taiwanese issue up in a thread a couple days ago KDarling contorted it to make it appear as if it was some lone guy in Taiwan who was neither operating under the Samsung's purview or knowledge.
  • Reply 33 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Cue Kdarling and Gatorguy saying that they're only allegations and there's no actual proof that Samsung would ever do anything like that.

Ignoring, of course, all the times they HAVE been caught doing things that are illegal and unethical.

I am not remotely suggesting that those two are -- indeed, I think they are not -- but I have little doubt in my mind that Samsung has tried the same trick here at AI. 

And I agree with SolipsismX: credit is due where it's due.

• Reply 34 of 49
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Well, in a few months I will go to a few Android forums.

I like Android.

I will try to develop an app for myself, and then one to submit to google play.

Then, if I can monetize it from my app or find another way to pay, I will try to focus on iOS.

I would love that.

Advice for a young man full of good will?

• Reply 35 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Certainly no allegation and I'm not surprised by it either. Samsung admits it happened.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-admits-to-trolling-HTC_id41977

They seem more and more inclined to do whatever it takes to gain market share, ethical or not.

C'mon, Gatorguy.

You can do better than that!

Let's hear some real condemnation from you about the company regularly caught with their hand in the cookie jar!

What are you afraid of?

That you'll get fired?

• Reply 36 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Google's Motto: Don't Be Evil

(Does anybody else snigger whenever they hear that?)

Samsung's Motto: Don't Be Good

• Reply 37 of 49
    There should be an investigation of this happening in every Country where Samsung sells phones. It's gotten so bad that I don't even believe reviews anymore.

I live in Canada and am a customer of a company named Koodo in which I shamefully use an Android phone. Horrible experience but that's beside the point, just counting down the days until I can switch back to iPhone.

Anyway not long ago I decided to go to the Koodo website to check out what some people had to say about the iPhone 5 and to my shock the thing was rated something like 2 or 2-1/2 out of 5 stars with about 30 reviews at the time. So I start reading the reviews one by one only to find that most of the reviews were bogus. The 4 or 5 star reviews where of actual iPhone 5 owners and the others were 1 star reviews bashing iPhone for being the same as the previous models and they should instead buy a galaxy s2 which is a better phone. One guy even had the balls to review using a username in the likeness of AndroidUser.

This is just one example of many many websites with the same results. If you want a good chuckle feel free to visit www.Koodomobile.com and read the reviews. It has since balanced out a little bit but still skewed because of the bogus reviews.

These people are either mentally sick or are compensated somehow. My money would be on it's a combination of both. To put so much effort into trying to persuade people to your agenda for a device requires professional help. For a company to do so is not mentally driven but is unethical but what does Samsung know about ethics.
  • Reply 38 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung's Motto: Don't Be Good

Whenever I hear that Google Motto I just add the rest of the line in my head

......because we are enough evil to go around.

No company is perfect, they all have their shameful practices that are either publicly known or unknown, including Apple, but those two companies Google and Samsung play in an elite league.

• Reply 39 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gtr wrote: »

Consider their phrase. They don't say We're Not Evil or We Don't Do Evil, they simply state Don't Be Evil which is really telling others to not be evil. For example, if Google changed their motto to Don't Be Samsung it wouldn't lose any of the current meaning. :D

On top of that, this is business and it's hard to see how anything that happens in business is evil. It can certainly be underhanded, unethical and/or illegal, but to be evil evokes more of a spiritual feeling.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Stay Classy, Sammy.

Impossible.