Rumor: Apple halts Mac component orders, is less 'aggressive' looking forward

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    rogifan wrote: »
    You seem pretty stressed out over Tim Cook.

People who show this much "concern" about Apple are really here to gloat/troll. If they were at all sincere about their concerns it wouldn't be expressed as lengthy posts full of false dilemmas on these forums, because that accomplishes absolutely nothing to reverse the doomage they profess concern over.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Nice strawman.  No one is labeling him as a "hater" or any such thing. Least of because he "takes issue with Apple". He is trolling, though.

Sorry, I deviated there... I didn't mean to suggest that anyone was calling HIM a hater, I just sorta extended the train of thought to encompass the whole concept of what sometimes seems like beating down the naysayers around here. I should have kept it more about the point and less about the mental meandering...

Speaking of mental meandering... whoops, there I go again. Sorry!

• Reply 63 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

People who show this much "concern" about Apple are really here to gloat/troll. If they were at all sincere about their concerns it wouldn't be expressed as lengthy posts full of false dilemmas on these forums, because that accomplishes absolutely nothing to reverse the doomage they profess concern over.

It's even more groan worthy when they trot out the "And I've been an Apple user since [insert old Apple machine model]".

• Reply 64 of 77
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

People who show this much "concern" about Apple are really here to gloat/troll.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know if I agree. If I had a serious section of my net worth tied up in Apple stock, and I really believed Tim was responsible for me losing a third of it, I'd not only detail my concerns on every investor forum I could find, I'd stand on the rooftop and yell! I think it's possible to be both passionate and wrong without being a troll! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If they were at all sincere about their concerns it wouldn't be expressed as lengthy posts full of false dilemmas on these forums, because that accomplishes absolutely nothing to reverse the doomage they profess concern over.

I dunno, I actually kinda get it. Certain aspects of the direction Apple is taking in computer design really bug me. I feel frustrated because the only alternative is to use WIndows and I don't wanna do that. So where do I vent that frustration, on a BMW forum? No, I go to where there are people with the same core interest, in the hope of finding others with the same objections. Partly it's to feel validated, and, in my case at least, to encourage others to share their views with Apple. One guy bitching about the Pro did nothing, but THOUSANDS of people bitching got Apple's attention. This forum is a natural place to look for people who are willing to actually write to Apple instead of just quietly moaning to themselves.

On the other side, it's also a good place to discover that sometimes very few other people care about some issue that I thought was incredibly important. Knowing when it's time to shut up and accept something is just as valuable as knowing when there's enough support to warrant taking some kind of action, however futile it may be.

• Reply 65 of 77
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I dunno, I actually kinda get it. Certain aspects of the direction Apple is taking in computer design really bug me. I feel frustrated because the only alternative is to use WIndows and I don't wanna do that. So where do I vent that frustration, on a BMW forum?

Hackintosh forum.  Not my cup of tea...if I wanted to obsess over quirky drivers and random weirdness I could be running Linux.  For whatever reason Apple has turned a blind eye to this sort of thing.  Same with jailbreaking although that's gotten a little harder and impossible on the aTV3 to date.

• Reply 66 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nht View Post

For whatever reason Apple has turned a blind eye to this sort of thing.

When it's a single person buying their own hardware and buying OS X, it's legal. When it's a company reselling computers made in this fashion, it's illegal.

• Reply 67 of 77
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    v5v wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but I don't know if I agree. If I had a serious section of my net worth tied up in Apple stock, and I really believed Tim was responsible for me losing a third of it, I'd not only detail my concerns on every investor forum I could find, I'd stand on the rooftop and yell! I think it's possible to be both passionate and wrong without being a troll.

Were you around yesterday? Look as his post history. jdnc was on the job for FOURTEEN hours and dropped 45 of his bad-pitbull ravings on just two threads. That's trolling. He destroyed hours and hours of people's time yesterday. Seven thousand views or so. The guy is a pro troll. And he's a fake, That much is clear to me and a few others around here.

He's also destroying the discourse around here with his "take Tim Cook to the woodshed" rhetoric.

What else do you need to know?
  • Reply 68 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jusephe wrote: »
    Or just new models coming out soon....

Yep

And/or the component orders were inflated early on cause Apple figured a high number would fault but not as many did so they don't need the excess to cover their butts
  • Reply 69 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Another day of letting jdnc123's trolling jack up the forums. :no:

If only folks would stop quoting him, then my ignore would work
  • Reply 70 of 77
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    charlituna wrote: »
    If only folks would stop quoting him, then my ignore would work

True, my sympathies, one tries not to quote him, but the outrage gets the better of many, me included sometimes.

Really, some people just ought to be banned when it's clear that their intentions are not to benefit the discussion. I mean this is a community, not a pool of victims.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple4U View Post

Taking Apple Private would be like the largest LBO.  Ever.  LOL  ;)

And maybe not a bad idea - insulating it from market pressures to act stoopid...  ...Gruber posted two articles on the possibility today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Apple cuts the component order coz Apple is going to reinvent the computer . A touchable Mac.

From your keyboard to Ive's eyes.  I have to live in WinWorld as well as MacLand and plan to do so with a VM Ware equipped MacBook.  Lacking touch when it's the best choice (say maybe 20% of the time) is gonna make that a lot harder....

• Reply 72 of 77
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    Maybe they could release a notebook that does not look like a set of mirror glasses. If the appeal for hip-hop fanatics is over, maybe professionals would start purchasing again a laptop where to look at their own job, not to their own face.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

The rumor comes from supposed "related upstream suppliers," who tell hit-or-miss tech news siteDigitimes

STOP RIGHT THERE!

LOL anything with digitimes name as the source should be whole heartedly ignored with a vengeance.

That Rag has been wrong so many times ......infact I cant remember when they have been right.

• Reply 74 of 77
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Another day of letting jdnc123's trolling jack up the forums. image

Sigh¡image

He's been on ignore with me for a week now lol.

• Reply 75 of 77
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Remember what Tim Cook said on the last earnings call. "Don't put too much credence in supply side rumors."
  • Reply 76 of 77
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    coffeetime wrote: »
    In case you haven't noticed, THE ECONOMY SUCKS! Lots of energy sources at home, but the government won't allow them to be exploited (or even construct a pipeline for Canada's oil heading to our refineries). Upcoming ObamaCare rules and regs causing restaurants, movie chains (Regal Cinema the latest) and other small businesses to cut hours back to under 30 per week to avoid new taxes. Health insurance is going up, gasoline is always around $4 a gallon, but hey, if you dig getting food stamps, like scamming Social Security with fake disability claims, live on extended unemployment checks, think that the new higher minimum wage proposal ($9) is the answer to more jobs (if so, why stop at $9? Why not $50? $250?), then Obama / Reid / Pelosi is your government trifecta! You reap what you sow, people, and for you suckers who bought into what this flim-flam front man and his liberal band was selling, get used to "living the dream."

I think coffeetime needs nap time.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Ultimately, it's people who don't seem to understand Apple as a company. One that doesn't focus on profit, but rather on 'making the best products possible', which by default will naturally lead to profitability.

If you do something passionately, really well, better than everyone else, focus on that and manage it well, then guess what. It doesn't MATTER what the stock price is. You will be massively profitable. You will be like Apple, from the verge of bankruptcy to the most valuable tech company on the planet. Still operating at SILLY levels of profitability and margin, global and growing. And yet, there is passion, excitement and even a touch of humility at the core of it...

This is the Apple we know and love and support irrespective of "market analysts" flapping their greedy gums incessantly. 

I'm always excited about what's yet to come from this amazing and innovative group of creators… they don't set off huge the bells and whistles and excitement with every release… but every few years, I get to say "wow" yet again… with the first all-aluminum mac book pro, the Mac Pro, the first iPod Touch and iPhone, the iPad… the extraordinary OPERATING SYSTEMS and Pro Apps I use every day… the ecosystem that just works together so beautifully.

They don't get everything perfect, but their batting average is so high, I just don't worry about it. I am confident they'll always come through with solutions that work...

Why are the two largest institutional shareholders dumping their stock (assuming that information is even correct)? Perhaps they are close to going underwater, and are pulling the remaining profit out of their holding just to be safe. Maybe it's part of a strategy to drive the stock lower, so they can buy back in at a lower point… there are a host of possible reasons that have NOTHING to do with Apple's financial health, market position or even expectations...

Apple's P/E has dropped below 9… that's almost unheard of for a high-performance tech company like this (with an EPS over 44). Muddy Microsoft is at around 16 with an EPS of less than 2, Google near 25 with an EPS around 32… Apple, even if they don't quite meet their guidance this quarter are still hugely profitable, and no-one sees a 'downward trend' in their overall growth and profits… 

So why is their stock being punished so badly? What's dragging it down? It is NOT their fundamentals, their financial picture or their revenue/profit history. Their potential is almost all upside. So why are they under $400, while Google is sitting at $800? Apple should be around there as well, considering reality...

In the end, it's institutional manipulation that is pushing the price around and creating volatility where there should be none...

@jdnc123 : I wouldn't change anyone in the current Executive/SVP lineup at Apple. THEY are doing a fantastic job of transitioning from the Jobs Era… Look at everything BUT the stock price and it's amazing how well they are performing. Every other measure is UP. Small, fickle fluctuations in 'consumer satisfaction' aside, the company, in my view is firing on all cylinders, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next...

Finally regarding their HQ: If they go 'half assed" on that, then my expectation would be the same regarding future products. Their HQ is going to be representative of the entire company ethos… so yes, I understand Jobs wanting it to be world class, and every detail perfect, because that's the mindset that goes into all of their products. 

Apple is the first to be disappointed whenever they fall short of that high bar… no company I know other than APple puts such effort and expense into 'doing it right' and creating 'the best possible result'...

It would be a sad day if anyone there ever actually listened to, and took your 'advice' … oust Cook, shutter the new HQ, and….? THAT would herald the end of Apple in my view, not what they're doing today...