Microsoft, partners readying iPad mini competitors for later this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

If only someone would invent something where you could store files on something other than the device itself. And then when you wanted, you could sync those files seamlessly across your devices. Even better is if you could stream, for example, your music from the service as well. It's a shame no one has come up with such a solution yet.

Lemme know how that works out for you on the subway. Or in rural Saskatchewan. Or in my "as bad as a Faraday cage" workplace.

• Reply 42 of 70
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Outgoing chief financial officer Peter Klein tipped the fact that the company has its eye on the smaller tablet market.

Well, the Microsoft Tablet market can't get much smaller, so he's right on the money.

• Reply 43 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't get why that's funny, those are still features that a lot of people seek and why a lot of us still prefer Android.

I go in the filesystem in my dropbox on my iPhone occasionally, like some of the Apps I have which are designed to work with it.

I use the filesystem on Android when people who don't know how want to back up their stuff, I wish it was always in the same place, it's tedious figuring out which icon represents what and whether it's in applications or not.

Then we have a device which transfers data between phones, most of the time you have to manually select the phone as it isn't recognised then you have to enable developer tools, USB debugging and stay awake to get contacts THEN turn USB debugging off and enable Mass storage mode to get other stuff, off course those things move around too depending on manufacturer and model and pop up a continuous stream of errors.

iPhones you just plug in they get identified and you pick what you want to transfer, the only setting you change is auto-lock to "never".

The number of people who don't know or do anything about backing up their phones is extraordinary.

• Reply 44 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

It's funny because more and more Android devices are getting rid of the SD card slot too.  Apparently it really isn't as important as the people making the noise would make it seem.  The whiners were telling everyone how the iPad was going to fail because of lack of these features yet none of the tablets with those features can even touch it.

None of my Nexii (Nexuses???) have them, it's strange how Google chose not to use them in their reference designs.

• Reply 45 of 70

Quote:

Having extra storage still outweighs any little annoyances. I think having to delete files to make room for new ones is a bigger problem for me anyway. 

I got over 100GB of free cloud storage available on ma iPhone and nexii phones.

Hey you know to change the memory card on a Galaxy S 3 you have to take the back off and pull the battery to slot it in, what sort of crap design is that, Micro SD's have been hot swappable on phones since the early 2000's.

• Reply 46 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

None of my Nexii (Nexuses???) have them, it's strange how Google chose not to use them in their reference designs.

It's nexuses. They're not Ford Taurii, after all, and you can't ride around on city bii. image

• Reply 47 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's nexuses. They're not Ford Taurii, after all, and you can't ride around on city bii. image

Stupid abuse of Latin.

It's not dead, it's only resting.

Pining, pining for the fjords.

• Reply 48 of 70

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Pining, pining for the fjords.

Fjord's a great word. I'd name my kid Fjord were I Scandinavian. It's just fun to say.

• Reply 49 of 70

Quote:

I don't get why that's funny, those are still features that a lot of people seek and why a lot of us still prefer Android.

Memory card? Real file system? Seven-inch screen? So why didn't you buy this-->

• Reply 50 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

The Office suite and the Desktop UI is already unusable on a 10inch screen, how come no engineer at Microsoft sees the problem.  Microsoft desperately needs much more work on building their ecosystem before continuing to flood the market with another DOA product like the Zune, WinMo 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7.5, Windows ReTarde, BOB... 

You forgot UMPC and my personal blink-and-you-missed-it, the KIN ONE and KIN TWO.

• Reply 51 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'm going to go out on a limb here .... I think Microsoft will have yet another FAIL.
  • Reply 52 of 70

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

…the KIN ONE and KIN TWO.

• Reply 53 of 70
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    relic wrote: »
    10 inches is more than usable for the new Office and I absolutely adore my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, best tablet I have ever owned. Being able to run full fledged desktop apps on a small tablet is fantastic. Windows RT tablets on the other hand, you have something to criticize about, useless.

Agreed. Atom based x86 tablets are already making RT pointless, and if Intel manages to provide better performance (especially in graphics), better battery life and lower prices - all they have promised for next Gen Atom - I cannot find a reason for RT to prevail in it's current form. It should merge with Windows Phone as platform for phones and small tablets, leaving full size tablets, laptops and desktops to x86 Windows. If Microsoft does that, I think they would have better overall solution than Apple, as both platforms would be compatible on Metro/Modern level, something iOS and OSX don't share.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    The Office suite and the Desktop UI is already unusable on a 10inch screen, how come no engineer at Microsoft sees the problem.  Microsoft desperately needs much more work on building their ecosystem before continuing to flood the market with another DOA product like the Zune, WinMo 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7.5, Windows ReTarde, BOB... 

I have been trialing Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 for the last month and I disagree with you. Granted I'd prefer much larger screen for any work in general, but tablet was fully functional in Office apps. People with thicker fingers will probably prefer using digitiser pen, but for small to average hands, fingers will do fine. If you need full Office compatibility on tablet, there is no other even remotely functional solution.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    Actually the new Nexus 7 will have one, look it doesn't matter, I like them so I will buy devices that have them. I especially love having one because of my Canon 5D, take pictures then simply plug in the SD into tablet.
    What is the big deal with carrying the connector for the iPad on the rare occasions something like this is needed?
  • Reply 56 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jaayco wrote: »
    Actually the new Nexus 7 will have one, look it doesn't matter, I like them so I will buy devices that have them. I especially love having one because of my Canon 5D, take pictures then simply plug in the SD into tablet.
    What is the big deal with carrying the connector for the iPad on the rare occasions something like this is needed?

For me, none. I keep the CCK in my camera bag, along with an iPad. With these large files our camera's poop out WiFi is just way too slow. I love the CCK; instant results on a 10 inch screen. With 3MP. Those that want a build-in SD card reader buy a MB.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

I almost feel sorry for Microsoft these days...Imagine the pour souls having to implement this strategy and coding all that crap. What a monumental waste of time and energy.

Ballmer, Ballmer, what have you done! As a guy with no credibility, culture, style, dignity, taste or ethics you cannot be successful. Make the first smart decision in your career and retire!

• Reply 58 of 70
    jguther wrote: »
    I almost feel sorry for Microsoft these days...Imagine the pour souls having to implement this strategy and coding all that crap. What a monumental waste of time and energy.

Indeed, we should feel sorry for their employees. I don't think it's enticing to code for a product you already know won't conquer the world. I wonder what a company does when 'all employees' start to leave? That happened at RIM, no?
    Ballmer, Ballmer, what have you done! As a guy with no credibility, culture, style, dignity, taste or ethics you cannot be successful. Make the first smart decision in your career and retire!

No, please, let him remain in that chair. Otherwise we lose some serious laughing. Yep, I like their strategy, I like it a lot.
  • Reply 59 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For me, none. I keep the CCK in my camera bag, along with an iPad. With these large files our camera's poop out WiFi is just way too slow. I love the CCK; instant results on a 10 inch screen. With 3MP. Those that want a build-in SD card reader buy a MB.

Here's a tip, whenever you take a card out of a camera lock it so it's read only then unlock it again when replacing it.

It's a good habit to get into, especially if you are putting the card into unknown devices.

• Reply 60 of 70
    hill60 wrote: »
    Here's a tip, whenever you take a card out of a camera lock it so it's read only then unlock it again when replacing it.

It's a good habit to get into, especially if you are putting the card into unknown devices.

That is indeed a good tip, although it doesn't apply to my situation: D7000 with automatic backup on the 2nd card in the camera. Still, a useful tip!