ACLU: Android fragmentation creates privacy risk

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

There are flaws in Android's openness that allow the carriers to alter the OS to their handsets.  Then there are flaws with iOS where there's really only one new form factor a year to choose from. People should be informed and understand that weaknesses of the platforms they choose.  I have an iPhone and understand the limits it has but gladly trade that for the flaws I see in Android.  Android fans see it differently and that's their business; more power to them.

• Reply 82 of 118
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

There are flaws in Android's openness that allow the carriers to alter the OS to their handsets.  Then there are flaws with iOS where there's really only one new form factor a year to choose from. People should be informed and understand that weaknesses of the platforms they choose.  I have an iPhone and understand the limits it has but gladly trade that for the flaws I see in Android.  Android fans see it differently and that's their business; more power to them.

What? No "death to infidels"? You must be in the wrong place...

• Reply 83 of 118
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    igriv wrote: »
    Why don't you back this up with actual data?

Stop wasting everyone's time. This subject has been brought up countless times in every tech publication for years and discussed in detail by everyone.

If you don't know how to use Google for a few seconds to find the reams of info on this subject, then it's not even worth the effort explaining it to you.

Responding to actual and obvious facts with "back up with actual data" just means you have zero argument.
  • Reply 84 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Stop wasting everyone's time. This subject has been brought up countless times in every tech publication for years and discussed in detail by everyone.

If you don't know how to use Google for a few seconds to find the reams of info on this subject, then it's not even worth the effort explaining it to you.

Responding to actual and obvious facts with "back up with actual data" just means you have zero argument.

You are the one wasting time. There is plenty of Android (and iOS) malware, but very little in either App Store. If the poster is claiming there is, he should back it up. As for me wasting my time, you don't have to read (except a "how to argue like a sentient being for dummies") book, perhaps).

• Reply 85 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What? No "death to infidels"? You must be in the wrong place...

"That's the problem with trolls: no concept of gradation, it's either all or nothing."
  • Reply 86 of 118
    You didn't search very hard. Here:
    http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/Start.do?action=view&zip=16601&locale=en&siteType=&market=GSM5SPRCO&gotoPhonelist=true

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/android-phones/

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phones/#/sort_feature/view_grid/type_android/

ALL Straight Talk Android phones are shipping with nothing newer than 2.3, and one is even sold with 2.2. Virgin and Boost offer many with 4.0+, but still sell 2.3. That's just a quick search I did. 

The worst part is, Straight Talk has openly said on their Facebook page that none of these phones will EVER get an OS update. What's on it when you buy it is what you'll be stuck with, period (unless you want to hack it). 

Shame on them! I only searched the major carriers.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

No one is going to stop them.
    It is far from clear that the design is "poor". The vendors want the flexibility to add their own hacks, and one of the problems with Windows Phone is that MSFT has (or is perceived as having) too much control of the OS. Since Google's goal was maximal market penetration, what they did was probably the right thing. I should also note that it seems fairly clear that the roots of Android were defensive: Google's principals grew up in the era of the Microsoft monopoly, which stifled innovation, and they wanted to make sure that this did not happen with the mobile market (at the time Google bought Android there was no iPhone, and MSFT's horrid windows phone was dominant, so there was a good chance that MSFT would dominate in mobile, but obviously an Apple monopoly is just as bad in the long run). I am sure that Google might do things differently if they were starting now, though I am not sure HOW differently.

Was Win mobile dominant? I seem to remember more blackberries. Apple never had the mobile OS lead. An Android monopoly would be worse than anything.
  • Reply 88 of 118
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Again, AppleInsider shows a misguided, misleading title.

The title should be "Telcos expose their users to privacy risk".  Androidness is unrelated, since the problem lies with having old, unupdated versiosn running because the telcos don't care.

I'll still run an iPhone because I prefer the ease of use/excellence/attention to details, but Android is a good system, with a safe (Linux) foundation, and it's pretty irritating to see AppleInsider again title "Android fragmentation evil whatevah".

I'll tell you a secret, AppleInsider. An iPhone (original) with the original OS is also running security risks. No updates --> DANGER. Blame the telcos, not Android.

• Reply 89 of 118
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No one is going to stop them.

Was Win mobile dominant? I seem to remember more blackberries. Apple never had the mobile OS lead. An Android monopoly would be worse than anything.

An "Android monopoly" doesn't mean anything, since Android is open-source. Apple could decide tomorrow to sell an Android-running iPhone. Wouldn't be exactly wise, though. What would really be interesting would be to see someone with heavyweight manufacturing ability (Samsung or Nokia?) fork Android in a compatible way for a while, so that Google becomes one provider among many...

Anyway, in my opinion, neither iPhone or Android is what should have been. OpenMoko and Maemo were the future, too bad economic reality caught up with them I wonder if Ubuntuphone (or whatever it is called) will be able to grow big now?

As to "more BlackBerries", I disagree. In the professional world of smart guys in expensive suits pretending to do real work, maybe, but in the real professional world of guys delivering stuff, repairing electrical towers, fixing network cables etc, Windows CE was the norm (and sadly, still is). It's slowly changing, but I can confirm having set up 60 of them two weeks ago for a customer who needed a system. Ugly Windows CE machines manufactured in Taiwan, running .Net, because that's "professional". Real companies still trust .Net more than they trust Objective-C, or web-based stuff (which actually may mean .Net, often).

• Reply 90 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

The title should be "Telcos expose their users to privacy risk".

Based on your comment you've inferred that it's because of telcos iOS gets updated. That surely isn't the case. Apple updates their OS on their devices, typically all at the same time while supporting about 3 years of product releases. So does it really make sense to blame the telcos and let the vendors go free on supporting updates? I certainly don't think so. I also don't think it's fair to let Google off scott free for creating an unsafe environment. It would be like me opening a shop that isn't staffed and expecting customers abide by an honour system where they put money into the register themselves. Would you really excuse me from blame when people don't pay for the merchandise or steal what money some people did pay? Of course you wouldn't so why not blame Google for their bad decisions?
  • Reply 91 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"That's the problem with trolls: no concept of gradation, it's either all or nothing."

Thank you for this non-sequitur, but it is really sequiturs we need...

• Reply 92 of 118
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this article and the significance of the numbers.  Let me point out just one data point:

4.2.1 came out in November of last year.  That was 5 months ago. 

4.2.2 came out in February this year.  That was 2 months ago.

Only 2% of Android devices have upgraded to either 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. 

The ACLU is getting involved here because these updates include bug fixes that improve the security of the devices.  The lack of these updates means the devices are prone to privacy abuses by scammers as well as governments.

So it's not just the major releases that are a problem, although that sucks for consumers, it's about security and privacy issues regarding the patches.

Think of it this way....

How would you feel if... Apple found bugs that exposed you to security and privacy issues on the iPhone 5 that you purchased in September.  And then, they published these bugs and released an update in November that only a tiny fraction of us were eligible for, and then did that same thing a few months later that even a smaller subset would be eligible for.  And had a history of doing this over and over again as if it was the expected routine.

• Reply 93 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

An iPhone (original) with the original OS is also running security risks.

That's a dangerous statement to make without further conditions.

• Reply 94 of 118
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    What planet are you living on? Where is your actual data for the total FUD you are spewing?
  • Reply 95 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What planet are you living on? Where is your actual data for the total FUD you are spewing?

What did I spew? Ah, argument by insult -- those kindergarten days, I thought nothing could bring them back, and yet...

• Reply 96 of 118
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

"BadNews"
  • Reply 97 of 118

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/devices/sharp/fx-plus-black.html

Even major carriers.
  • Reply 98 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

"BadNews"

And around we go. That was the ONE example which started this particular exchange. "One" is less than "many" and even less than "some".

• Reply 99 of 118

The title should be "Telcos expose their users to privacy risk".  Androidness is unrelated, since the problem lies with having old, unupdated versiosn running because the telcos don't care.

I'll still run an iPhone because I prefer the ease of use/excellence/attention to details, but Android is a good system, with a safe (Linux) foundation, and it's pretty irritating to see AppleInsider again title "Android fragmentation evil whatevah".

I'll tell you a secret, AppleInsider. An iPhone (original) with the original OS is also running security risks. No updates --> DANGER. Blame the telcos, not Android.

So you are saying Samsung, Sony and HTC all have updates for their old phones just waiting at the telcos to push the updates? I doubt it.
  • Reply 100 of 118
    And around we go. That was the ONE example which started this particular exchange. "One" is less than "many" and even less than "some".

One that encompasses an order of magnitude larger impact than all iOS impacts. All I had to provide. QED.