Two Button Mouse

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    macanoid(tm)macanoid(tm) Posts: 344member
    I like this one a lot. It recharges in the dock even when the computer is turned off:

• Reply 22 of 36
    lowb-inglowb-ing Posts: 98member
    The rumours about 2-button mice seem quite believeble considering apples recent focus on "converting" windows users. I dont think they'll go for some odd squeeze mouse or keep the 1-button, 'cause of that very reason.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yeah, Apple doesn't need to re-invent the wheel (pun intended).

Just give us an option to buy an Apple branded two button mouse with a wheel.

There are solutions out there already, but none that will look as cool or integrated as any Apple designed mouse.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Okay, the absolute best mouse setup I've used was on a *shudder* Windows machine! I personally don't like wheels, as they're small and difficult to use. The mouse I used was a two button wheel mouse, but when you clicked the wheel a white "base" circle appeared on the screen, and the cursor turned into a dot with four arrows pointing up, down, left, and right. When the mouse was moved away from the base circle, it moves the page in the direction that the pointer is from the base. The farther away it is, the faster it moves. It's really easy to use.

I don't mind two button mice, but three button mice are annoying since the main button is so small. I would rather have a half-width left button and quarter-width middle and right buttons. That is biased towards right handers, so maybe they could offer a lefty version as well.

[edit]Macanoid, who makes that cordless mouse with recharging dock? That looks interesting.[/edit]

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 36
    macanoid(tm)macanoid(tm) Posts: 344member
    It's made by <a href="http://www.trust.com,"; target="_blank">www.trust.com,</a> but it's available for Windows only (damn). Since it's regular USB I'm still planning on trying it out. Who knows, it might even work!
  • Reply 26 of 36
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Apple didn't always have just one keyboard and one mouse for all their systems.

There always was just one mouse for all, that part is true, but there were times when there were up to 3 different kinds of Apple keyboards.

The AppleDesign Keyboard, the Apple Keyboard II, the Apple Extended Keyboard, the Apple Ergonomic Keyboard and the original Apple keyboard.

Now the original is way old and was replaced by the II, but the Extended, the Design and the Ergonomic (the one that you could split up, dunno what the exact name was anymore) all shipped at the same time on different machines.

Extended was for Pro machines, Design for budget machines (they're both full sized keyboards), teh ergo was custom only I think, and teh II shipped with LCs and such.

I can imagine that Apple would introduce a multibutton scrollmouse and offer it as a BTO to the single button mouse. Not only online, but also in stores of course. That way you could still get a single button mouse if you wanted, but could also get an Apple branded multibutton flavor.

The mechanics are Logitech or Mitsumi anyway, it's just the shell that's apple

And I must say I love my single button mouse, even for gaming...

G-News
  • Reply 27 of 36
    lowb-inglowb-ing Posts: 98member
    Linux already has three button emulation for two button mice. you just press both simultaneously. so why make a three button when it makes the buttons awkwardly small. I'd definitely prefer a summetrical shape that accomodates both righty and lefty use, btw.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    What is the purpose of a wireless mouse?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by digix:

<strong>Two buttons mouse?

<a href="http://www.mackido.com/Interface/CounterPoints.html"; target="_blank">http://www.mackido.com/Interface/CounterPoints.html</a>;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Loigtech and kensington have had software like what this guy was talking about for a LONG time. Personally, I think scroll wheels are handy. I'm using one to read these posts right now. Apple needs to get with the times. This isn't mid 1980's.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    battery+mouse = dumb.

(not literally)

IF they are going to go cordless with a mouse, they MOST DEFINITELY should not put a battery in the mouse.

They should go and design a tracker to be built into the mac that will be able to sense the mouse's position.

I really don't think apple will go cordless, unless they can find someway to allow them not to be so easily taken (schools, etc). Think about it, where is YOUR REMOTE CONTROL right now?

(anyways you know what I mean)

--&gt;seems like a bad idea, let me say it again...

-walloo

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 36
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    Now that'd be cool...

You could put three sensors/emitters in the computer and maybe using bluetooth or airport, You could triangulate the mouses position relative to the computer using radar-like scanners.... :cool:

"Introducing the Wirless iMouse"...

(batteries not included)

there are no batteries...

------------------------------------

© FERRO 2001-2002
  • Reply 32 of 36
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    How about a tablet that automatically picks a static part of the mouse to track and then transmits data to the computer. This way you could use anything as a mouse if you lost your regular mouse, even a bottlecap or remote control or something! The tablet would have a button or two on it so you could click even if your button was broken or you were using something like a bottlecap for a mouse. Otherwise the clicking data would be sent over Bluetooth.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    You can buy a multi-button mouse if you want one, so whats the difference, saving $40?. As to a battery powered mouse, good for a laptop but I want wired option so I don't have to worry about whether the mouse is charged up. Maybe they can up the Bluetooth signal and charge it through the air (just don't fall asleep on your mouse)
  • Reply 34 of 36
    macintoshmacintosh Posts: 22member
    Skip the mouse, I want to see TOTAL voice controlled computers.

Bluetooth = rehash of the sam old thing.

Voice = A viable solution to arthritis and the end to the counter intuitive clicking and typing.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    [quote]Originally posted by fellow722:

<strong>Skip the mouse, I want to see TOTAL voice controlled computers.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Computer, for the ninth freaking time, please click pixel point 345 by 890, a check box, because I want to turn this damned voice control off!

{Edit: WTF, the computer typed the text I spoke and put it in this text field in IE.}

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 36 of 36
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    Hmmm, multi button mice.

These are my ideas:

It seems obvious that bluetooth will get integrated with the airport card, so soon you wont need to spend an extra $50 for an ugly bluetooth dongle. So a bluetooth keyboard and mouse also seem obvious.

I think that the current pro mouse is very good, and that the new bluetooth mouse should maintain the form factor, and the single click body, and a nice blue led sounds good.

To enable multi button I think that the mouse should have a touch pad integrated where you rest your fingers on it ( a nice clear one ).

Setting how the mouse behaves ( single button, two button, three button, mouse-on-the-mouse ) is done in a control panel, and defaults to single button ( nice for new users ). You can even have two dimensional scrolling. Because the mouse retains its single mechanical button the system can determine whether you are clicking or dragging, and clicking retains a nice tactile feedback.

It should be wireless. I guess apple have to supply some sort of dock ( or replacable batteries ) for older systems, but all new machines can have an induction charger. Just place the mouse next to the charge point, and a little led comes on to show that it is charging.

The keyboard can do the same. Seeings as wireless mouse normally run for quite a while on one set of batteries it doesnt seem like a big inconvenience to have to put it next to the machine to charge, and in desperate situations you could always drop in a couple of aa's, or maybe they can squeeze in a usb port as well.

That still leaves laptops up the chute. I think that the iBook button may have two buttons in it. It doesnt click quite properly for a single button ( but that may be because it is so big ). Still, it feels like you could click either side and get a two button response. Has anyone taken one apart and can comment?

If it doesnt have two buttons then the 'tap' pad could be enabled as a second button, quite easily.

That would set apple up with a really nice mutli button mouse arrangement for desktops and laptops.

edit: removed [br]'s

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: woozle ]</p>