Apple's updated Campus 2 plans add pedestrian walkways and bicycle paths

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple recently submitted a fresh set of plans for its second Cupertino, Calif., campus, adding a few enhancements to the original proposal, including the addition of bicycle pathways and a slightly revised timeline.

Campus 2

Published by the city of Cupertino, Apple's Submittal 6 comes five months after the company filed its last set of plans, which itself outlined a number of changes from the original Campus 2 submission.

The newest plans show a higher level of detail regarding Apple's vision for its huge "spaceship" campus, including extended bike paths and private roads circling the grounds. A set of new visualizations are highlighted in the proposal, which show internal and perimeter pedestrian walkways.

Also included with the submission is a set of renderings for a bike path that will be added to the surface streets surrounding the campus, with specifications for routing and road markings.

Among the changes from prior submissions are an additional 240 parking spaces in two areas, one set near the giant circular building and another in a nearby area. In all, there will be approximately 10,980 parking spaces available, spread across underground and above-grade lots.

Campus 2

Slated for completion in 2016, the undertaking has seen setbacks, including budget overruns and delays. In the latest Submittal 6, for example, the so-called "Tantau" development area located in one corner of the massive block has been pushed into construction Phase 2. The site's 2.8 million-square-foot, four story main building is projected to be part of the Phase 1 build.

In addition to the gigantic Campus 2 in Cupertino, Apple is also expanding its Austin, Tex., campus with a $304 million upgrade, which will serve as the company's new "Americas Operations Center."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26

Ooh.

I love patting bicycles.

• Reply 2 of 26
    Improved and closer to completion, I enjoy sidewalks and paths.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What an epic fucking building. Only Apple has the audacity and commitment to pull something like this off. 

• Reply 4 of 26

The spaceship looked better in white :|

• Reply 5 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »
    What an epic fucking building. Only Apple has the audacity and commitment to pull something like this off. 

Indeed, And WS fails to see this as a new product on its own. Not made for consumer products mind you, but I presume they are building a new R&D facility outfitted with 'the latest' which will in turn help the development of new products. I'm guessing Campus 2 is part of the reason for a product slowdown. Of course they're outsourcing, but together with the rollout of more Data Centers it will take up some of their time otherwise dedicated to their product line.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    It's a bit weird that bike lanes weren't an integral part of the original design, but great they've been added. Really, all modern neighborhoods, cities, campuses, whatever should be designed with bikes/pedestrians/public transit as core principles and not tacked on in revisions. Proper implementation usually requires them as core design principles.

A complex this size should have a bike-share program for all employees that's just hop-on/hop-off and a ban on all gas-powered vehicles during business hours (solar-charged electric vehicles for people who can't bike) - just make it a totally green/healthy campus. Cupertino has a climate that makes it possible to bike year-round and the whole area will be landscaped flat too.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    spacerays wrote: »

By the time it's done, black will be the new black again. Fashion will have come full circle...get it? Circle?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    slurpy wrote: »

If it rotated to generate its own gravity, it would be perfect for a Kubrick movie.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    superbass wrote: »
    It's a bit weird that bike lanes weren't an integral part of the original design, but great they've been added. Really, all modern neighborhoods, cities, campuses, whatever should be designed with bikes/pedestrians/public transit as core principles and not tacked on in revisions. Proper implementation usually requires them as core design principles.

I don't think this is the responsibility of Apple, rather the City of Cupertino. On 8/24/2011 the City announced the EIR Scoping Meeting, scheduled for 9/8/2011 and only after the plans were made known to the City they were able to draw up the plans for the infrastructure.

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1107
  • Reply 10 of 26
    The City of Cupertino needs to rethink its bicycle infrastructure designs. The Dutch model is much better thought out, much safer than what is shown above and is proven to work wonderfully well.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

A complex this size should have a bike-share program for all employees that's just hop-on/hop-off and a ban on all gas-powered vehicles during business hours (solar-charged electric vehicles for people who can't bike) - just make it a totally green/healthy campus. Cupertino has a climate that makes it possible to bike year-round and the whole area will be landscaped flat too.

No, really, they shouldn't.  Modern cities (and "whatevers") should be designed to accommodate the people who live and work in them on a case-by-case basis, not a bunch of politically leftist-minded religious zealots.  Environmentalism is the new Catholic, pontiff, we get it.  

I was going to just pass until the part about banning all gas-powered vehicles during business hours, at which point I realized if somebody does not refute this  lunacy then the silence might be mistaken for assent.  

Cupertino also has a climate that makes it possible to drive (the sports car one's stock options were able to purchase) year-round with the top down and the stereo on, which makes for a much more pleasant environment by which to pass a bunch of fart-huffing bicyclists on your way to work...

I'll applaud the pedal-paths though, since they get the biker-toots out of the traffic lanes where they should never have been in the first place.

• Reply 12 of 26
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

The City of Cupertino needs to rethink its bicycle infrastructure designs. The Dutch model is much better thought out, much safer than what is shown above and is proven to work wonderfully well.

I seriously can't tell if you're joking....

• Reply 13 of 26
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    echosonic wrote: »

Well, the Netherlands is the number one country regarding cyclists per capita. Due to the flat area, short distances and high density, cycling is immense popular there. So you might consider that the Dutch do have extensive experience and research on the safety of cyclist in traffic.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

If you read the plans, it calls for 8 megawatts of solar panels on both the roof and parking structures.  While white may look "nicer", solar panels don't come in that color, and I suspect Steve Jobs would let that little technicality slide if it meant being more self-sustaining.

• Reply 15 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    spacerays wrote: »

You can't have white photovoltaics, and that's the roof, mostly you won't see the roof.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    philboogie wrote: »
    Indeed, And WS fails to see this as a new product on its own. Not made for consumer products mind you, but I presume they are building a new R&D facility outfitted with 'the latest' which will in turn help the development of new products. I'm guessing Campus 2 is part of the reason for a product slowdown. Of course they're outsourcing, but together with the rollout of more Data Centers it will take up some of their time otherwise dedicated to their product line.

Who said there's a product slow down? Lack of events does not equate to product slow down.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    reinthal wrote: »

Ireland seems to use the Dutch model so.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    sflocal wrote: »

If you read the plans, it calls for 8 megawatts of solar panels on both the roof and parking structures.  While white may look "nicer", solar panels don't come in that color, and I suspect Steve Jobs would let that little technicality slide if it meant being more self-sustaining.

Black looks better. And the roof will be out of view.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think this is the responsibility of Apple, rather the City of Cupertino. On 8/24/2011 the City announced the EIR Scoping Meeting, scheduled for 9/8/2011 and only after the plans were made known to the City they were able to draw up the plans for the infrastructure.

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1107

This link is cool

• Reply 20 of 26
    reinthal wrote: »

1. Indeed, less casualties since they build it like this. Still, the cyclists need to point where they're going otherwise the car driver gets pissed if they both turn right.

2. great video, good find.
    echosonic wrote: »

I seriously do not understand your questioning...