Supply shortages delay Samsung Galaxy S4 launch at Sprint, T-Mobile

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    AT&T just reported that 80% of their smartphone activations were iPhones. So that portends a huge demand for the S4 that cannot be met? I don't get it.

It was 80% because Samsung shot themselves in the foot with the early announcement... Next quarter the S4 is sure to be 80% and the iPhone 20%¡
  • Reply 22 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    AT&T just reported that 80% of their smartphone activations were iPhones. So that portends a huge demand for the S4 that cannot be met? I don't get it.

That's why the supply for AT&T is unaffected.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Aren't they? Not to end users but with an impending launch date one day away they'd had to have sold them to their retailers by now.

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's why the supply for AT&T is unaffected.

T-Mobile sells more Androids than AT&T?

• Reply 25 of 44
    It's been HOURS since the beleaguered Samsung announced a new product, it's time for the CEO to be fired!

So which one is the Galaxy S4? I can't keep up with all the vaporware...
  • Reply 26 of 44
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

So they've purposely created shortages to make it appear as if the phone is selling really well. 

Quote:

That might make sense if it they were selling it already.

Exactly.

• Reply 27 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    The comments here about creating fake shortages make no sense from a real life point of view.

If someone is in the market for a high end Android phone, there are some good choices right now.

The last thing that Samsung wants to happen at this point in time, is to not be able to supply enough units to meet demand... and perhaps lose potential customers to HTC or elsewhere.

Hey we're just sending the Fandroids comments back at them. Sammy better hope there were no lines.

If Sammy actual released numbers, I wonder if Wall Street will be disappointed in them selling "only" 2MM.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

So the Galaxy S4 is not revolutionary ... big deal. Has there been a Galaxy S or Galaxy Tab that can be considered revolutionary?

Save for the first iPhone, what recent phone can truly be classified as revolutionary? 3G, LTE, Siri, etc. are all very nice incremental innovations. But revolution? Only the following would qualify: Motorola DynaTac, the Blackberry Quark (that was the first BB with an integrated phone?), the phone that Philippe Kahn used to take and share photograph his daughter and the iPhone.

Pundits, journalists, analysts, etc. throw around words like revolution, innovation and disruption like they toss pennies in the Starbucks tip jar - as if they don't mean something. This is why they expect a "revolutionary product" from Apple every year - the word "revolution" has been so cheapened that every company is considered a failure if they produce a single product that is merely an upgrade.

• Reply 29 of 44
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I don't understand their strategy of making two models with different CPU's. They did the same thing with the S3. One version of the S4 will include an octa core CPU of around 1.5 or 1.6GHz if memory serves. Then the one that will be sold in the U.S. and possibly Europe will be a quad core 1.9GHz version. From some initial pre-release benchmarks and other tests the octa core seemed to be a faster phone. I wonder why they make two versions and also wonder why or how they choose which countries will get which version. I would think they would want to sell their fastest version here in the U.S. since they aren't doing nearly as well here as in other countries. 

here is a link talking about the differences between the 2 versions.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s4-adds-insult-to-injury-as-eight-core-smashes-quad-core-in-tests-1143900

• Reply 30 of 44
    "Designed to take on apples I phone 5" ..... It must take a 7 yr old child to write these. The Iphone 5 AND Galaxy S3 came out last yr meaning the S3 was in competition with the I phone 5. No one makes a phone to compare with last years model because it would be a landslide. The GS4 blows the Iphone 5 out the water and is in competition with the coming Iphone 5s. Get it now?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    gwmac wrote: »
    I don't understand their strategy of making two models with different CPU's. They did the same thing with the S3. One version of the S4 will include an octa core CPU of around 1.5 or 1.6GHz if memory serves. Then the one that will be sold in the U.S. and possibly Europe will be a quad core 1.9GHz version. From some initial pre-release benchmarks and other tests the octa core seemed to be a faster phone. I wonder why they make two versions and also wonder why or how they choose which countries will get which version. I would think they would want to sell their fastest version here in the U.S. since they aren't doing nearly as well here as in other countries. 

If I'm not mistaken the CPU used for the international version doesn't play nicely with LTE chipsets used in the US.
  • Reply 32 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedougie View Post

"Designed to take on apples I phone 5" ..... It must take a 7 yr old child to write these. The Iphone 5 AND Galaxy S3 came out last yr meaning the S3 was in competition with the I phone 5. No one makes a phone to compare with last years model because it would be a landslide. The GS4 blows the Iphone 5 out the water and is in competition with the coming Iphone 5s. Get it now?

First post and I see that you are already trying real hard to get along and make friends.

• Reply 33 of 44

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken the CPU used for the international version doesn't play nicely with LTE chipsets used in the US.

I did a bit more research and it seems that the octa-core will not include any LTE at all, only 3G. Korea and Japan both have wide LTE deployment while most of Europe are still pretty far behind with LTE. I know in the U.K. only one carrier has any LTE for example. If this is true I doubt a S4 with no LTE at all will sell very well in countries that have or will have LTE shortly. Stupid move by Samsung to offer a non-LTE phone in 2013.

• Reply 34 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedougie View Post

No one at that trainwreck of an announcement (their WiFi went down! and the C list actors were rather sad in their somewhat sexist playlets) thought the S4 (aka the S3s) was much of anything, which is why the Sammy stock dropped right after. The S4 doesn't even "blow" the S3 away, let alone the iPhone 5, which doubled the S3's sales numbers or perhaps even the iPhone 4s which sold millions more than the S3 worldwide.

After desperately switching to "Easy" mode it's reportedly a nice enough follow up to their 3. But then with the 3's sales already declining..... and what's with topping out at 32GB? How does one cram an entire "Life" into such a limited space?

Samsung is very smart to not give up their day job, making washing machines.

• Reply 35 of 44
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I did a bit more research and it seems that the octa-core will not include any LTE at all, only 3G. Korea and Japan both have wide LTE deployment while most of Europe are still pretty far behind with LTE. I know in the U.K. only one carrier has any LTE for example. If this is true I doubt a S4 with no LTE at all will sell very well in countries that have or will have LTE shortly. Stupid move by Samsung to offer a non-LTE phone in 2013.

The whole thing is all rather strange.  I think it isn't about LTE, but has to do with production problems with the 5 octa.

Quote:

Galaxy S4 World Tour made a stop today in Samsung’s home market to announce the device and consumers on SKT, KT and LG U+ will be able to purchase the device from tomorrow, making it one of the first markets to get the Galaxy S flagship.

Interestingly, the Galaxy S4 (SHV-E300S/K/L) for the Korean market varies slightly than the international versions. For starters, the phone is equipped with the Exynos 5 Octa processor and supports LTE. Internationally, the Exynos 5 Octa variant is generally reserved as a 3G variant whereas the Snapdragon 600 variant for the LTE. There’s also a terrestrial DMB.

• Reply 36 of 44
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »

It was 80% because Samsung shot themselves in the foot with the early announcement... Next quarter the S4 is sure to be 80% and the iPhone 20%¡

Maybe next month they will announce the Osborne... er, ah Samsung S5... or even the S5S :)
  • Reply 37 of 44
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

To be more accurate, iPhones were 67% of AT&T's last quarter sales. (Activations includes used phones.)

As one would expect, AT&T's customers lean heavily iPhone.  That's why they have iPhone shortages, not Android shortages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The ignorants that bought the S3 don't use the net that much, so they are still ignorants and bought the s4.

The internet difference only applies when iPads are included.  As Chitika and others point out in their reports (which don't mean a lot anyway), smartphones have very similar statistics . E.g.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The Korean model gets both the Samsung octa-core and LTE.

I suspect that there are several reasons why the US LTE version uses the Snapdragon instead of Samsung's CPU:

• Qualcomm's Snapdragon chipset comes with everything needed in one package.

• Qualcomm probably cannot supply the entire world demand, nor can Samsung. Thus the need for two CPU suppliers.

• There could be a royalty issue involved for the US that makes using the Snapdragon cheaper.

• Reply 38 of 44
    cnocbui wrote: »

The whole thing is all rather strange.  I think it isn't about LTE, but has to do with production problems with the 5 octa.

It was the same exact way for the SGS 3.
  • Reply 39 of 44

GT-I9500 – Exynos 5 Octa 1.6 GHz without LTE

GT-I9505 – Snapdragon 600 1.9 GHz with LTE

SHV-E300S – Exynos 5 Octa 1.8 GHz with LTE (only sold in south korea, not unlocked)

If I were looking to buy an S4 I would want the Korean version that includes LTE and has the octa core Exynos 5 but since that is a locked version no dice.  The i9500 blows it out of the water in terms of performance and battery life. I think this is a really dumb mistake by Samsung and will piss off a lot of their diehard fans. Yes, they did this with the S3 as well, but there was not this big a gap in performance either. The Snapdragon is also supposed to be a very hot and power hungry CPU compared to the Exynos thanks to ARM's big.LITTLE technology. 

• Reply 40 of 44
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

It's been HOURS since the beleaguered Samsung announced a new product, it's time for the CEO to be fired!

So which one is the Galaxy S4? I can't keep up with all the vaporware...

It's like an iPhone 4S but backwards.