Rumor: Leaked KDDI document claims 'iPhone 5S' pre-orders go live June 20, launch in July

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I'm not sure about Apple, but he worked for NeXT for quite some time. I don't recall him ever stirring things up just for the heck of it. He's one of the few guys I'd believe, even without citations.

No disrespect intended but having worked for NeXT a decade ago or even working for Apple 'a few years ago' doesn't equal knowledge of what is happening inside the company now. True for Woz, Forstall etc as well.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Thank GOD! Its about time, when will it be released in Holland? http://www.iphone5s.nl
  • Reply 23 of 39
    This is so fake. Apple doesn't tell it's carrier partners about the features or the specs on the phone until they announce them publicly. At most they tell them what cellular technology it will have. There is no way they told anyone at KDDI about their "killer feature", the finger-print sensor. This is exactly the reason Tim Cook explicitly stated there wouldn't be any new products until fall: to set our expectations and try to quell rumors of a new phone this summer. They don't want sales of the iPhone 5 to bottom out before they release the new one this fall.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellar1616 View Post

This is so fake. Apple doesn't tell it's carrier partners about the features or the specs on the phone until they announce them publicly. At most they tell them what cellular technology it will have. There is no way they told anyone at KDDI about their "killer feature", the finger-print sensor. This is exactly the reason Tim Cook explicitly stated there wouldn't be any new products until fall: to set our expectations and try to quell rumors of a new phone this summer. They don't want sales of the iPhone 5 to bottom out before they release the new one this fall.

not true

apple has to test and certify their phones on carriers' networks like everyone else. they might use special test units but they still have to do this

and its not like they announce a product and ship it. lots of work to be done with carriers to get the phones added to inventory, financial and other systems. subsidy and other contracts have to be signed. not like the phones just arrive at the stores with no notice

• Reply 25 of 39
    i may be reading it wrong, but doesn't that say something like "upgradeable from iOS6 to iOS7 (when released)?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

i may be reading it wrong, but doesn't that say something like "upgradeable from iOS6 to iOS7 (when released)?

Dear sweet heavens, I certainly hope they don't do that. It would be a disaster.

• Reply 27 of 39
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No disrespect intended but having worked for NeXT a decade ago or even working for Apple 'a few years ago' doesn't equal knowledge of what is happening inside the company now. True for Woz, Forstall etc as well.

I am sure that is true for Woz, as he can't keep his mouth shut, but I would be more hesitant to believe a former Apple or Next engineer than some other sources. Former engineers likely have friends and associates they still are in contact with. Employees aren't supposed to talk, but they do. 

This doesn't mean the rumors are true, but iOS is due for an update soon. 

• Reply 28 of 39
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

not true

apple has to test and certify their phones on carriers' networks like everyone else. they might use special test units but they still have to do this

and its not like they announce a product and ship it. lots of work to be done with carriers to get the phones added to inventory, financial and other systems. subsidy and other contracts have to be signed. not like the phones just arrive at the stores with no notice

Right. It is like when the iPhone recently went on T-Mobile. Prior to it being officially supported, the iPhone lacked certain functionality on T-Mobile like visual voicemail. After it was supported, a carrier update was released adding features that had to be implemented on the carrier end. 

• Reply 29 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    First off iPhone 5S is not a surprise product so I'm not sure why people correlate what Tim has said with that products release cycle. In other words the next iPhone is not a surprise product at all. Second I find it less than believable that sales literature, with launch dates, would be printed this early.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Exactly!

A new iPhone should not be a surprise to anyone. I don't see how Cook's comments apply to anything currently being produced. Surprises imply things not currently produced by Apple.
    daijones wrote: »
    Product "surprises" for the fall quarter. Will anyone be surprised by an iPhone 5S? Cook's comments about the fall don't strike me as applying to iPhone, iPad etc
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Strange double post
  • Reply 32 of 39
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

I am wondering if someone in Japan is confused.  I could see Apple announcing the rumored plastic iPhone for developing nations at WWDC and releasing it soon after.  I don't expect the rumored plasic iPhone will offer anything special in terms of features, so giving it its own event would seem pointless.  Making the announcement at WWDC and touting potential the impact on App Store sales seems like a more reasonable way to go.

Then again, I wouldn't expect Japan to get the plastic iPhone, but it is close to China and places I would expect to receive it. 

Everything is speculation at this point.  I am not saying I believe a word of any of this, but I find it more likely we will see the a cheap, plastic iPhone before the fall and it could explain why all these rumors of something coming early summer keep popping up everywhere. 

• Reply 33 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daijones View Post

Product "surprises" for the fall quarter. Will anyone be surprised by an iPhone 5S? Cook's comments about the fall don't strike me as applying to iPhone, iPad etc

That's the way I took it as well.

• Reply 34 of 39
    rogifan wrote: »
    No way Apple will release a new phone before iOS 7 is available. They're not announcing it until WWDC so no way would it be available by July for public release.

I remember an iPad launching ahead of the next iOS version bump by several months. Anyone else recall that? I think it was the original iPad... Or iPad 3.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    This would be a schedule like the original iPhones, however there is other reasons not to believe it.
    The iOS 7 thing gives it away as fake. No way is that out in July.
    ios is out when a new iPhone is out, as for this is the only thing guaranteed true, is it will feature IOS 7, these IOS delayed rumors are probably false as for the latest feature update was January, and the latest major update seprember(that would have 10 months between) so it could be anything.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dear sweet heavens, I certainly hope they don't do that. It would be a disaster.

The text says "iOS6 -> iOS7 (innovative UI is applied)"

• Reply 37 of 39
    Not surprised if it's true.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    ak101ak101 Posts: 2member

who cares about the 5S...... the iPhordable will be the big game changer for Apple.  China Mobile here they come........

• Reply 39 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by a k101 View Post

…iPhordable…

… please never use that again. image

That's groan worthy all up and down the continent.