AT&T initiates $100 trade-in program for smartphones, pushes non-iPhone handsets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    My impression, having spent too much time waiting in my local AT&T store, is that they are happy to sell you an iPhone but if you come in and ask the salespeople they will steer you towards other phones. The iPhone display is even crammed in a corner of the store instead of front and center.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

So how do you think they buy the phones, then? They go to an AT&T store and are sold away from the iPhone by the employees.
    Yeah, they go into an AT&T store AFTER seeing a commercial on TV. What, do you think they miraculously forget why they went there between the couch and the mall parking lot?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

What, do you think they miraculously forget why they went there between the couch and the mall parking lot?

People aren't the brightest, and when they're specifically sold away from the iPhone…

• Reply 24 of 28

Just the sort of "partners" you need! Ugh!

Apple needs to run it's own telco in the US and tell verizon, ATT and Sprint to stick it up their respective noses! :)

Apple's cell plan $19/mo.  -everything unlimited with the latest iteration of the iPhone, no contracts! Verizon, Sprint, ATT get last year's model only! :)

• Reply 25 of 28
    mcpupmcpup Posts: 1member
    I went into our local Verizon store to buy my wife's iPhone 5 for Christmas. I was deluged by Samsung banners and displays. I had to hunt for the iPhone display which I found tucked into the very back corner of the store. Ironically, the five of us in the store at that time were all buying iPhone 5's.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Obviously they're promoting the phones that need promoting. AT&T wants to sell ALL their phones, naturally. They don't need a promotion to sell iPhones. So they pump up the others because they don't want stock sitting on their shelves.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    scprofessorscprofessor Posts: 218member
    Good news for me. I intended to hang on my G2 when the contract expired in Aug. But if they give me $100 for that phone, then hello G4. I like you apple, but I've played with my daughter's ip5 to say no.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    "Apple's iPhone is notably absent from the list, but it appears that the handset is included in the promotion."

Here's why: A Samsung buyer pays US carriers the same total (contract plus phone) for Galaxies as iPhone 5s. Carriers pay much less to Samsung than to Apple. Let's say $100 less. Samsung won't say; Apple gets about $450. Whatever that difference is, a Samsung buyer has paid that much more than the iPhone buyer.

And ATT made that much more off the cheap plastic phone buyer.:\