American Airlines sees Apple's iPad preventing pilot back injuries

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've always wondered what kind of rules they have for media on flights since there is so much fear that goes along with it. I can't imagine Airplane, Flight, or any other movie that involves a terrorizing event in the sky to be shown in-flight. However, I also wonder if the in-flight music stations would also not include, say, The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, or Richie Valens in a 50's music station because they all died in a plane crash? The latter obviously being less likely to make one uncomfortable, but I wouldn't be surprised if they want to be overly cautious.

    As a fan of the oldies channel I can say for sure Buddy Holly is on there but you know, that thought never crossed my mind. I suspect a funny parody would be less of an issue than a pretty realistic airplane terror type movie.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member


    I know we have a few commercial pilots who are AI members. I'm curious do the pilots consult their 40 lbs. of charts or is that just back up in case the in-flight electronics fail? If it is just back up is the iPad just back up also? And finally: Do you think sitting in one position for several hours without being able to stretch could also cause stress on one's back? I fly quite a bit and I always feel a bit stiff after sitting for so long. At least it is not so cramped in business class although sometimes I do fly coach and that is pretty uncomfortable.


     


    BTW I was in a private jet a few months ago and the co-pilot was using an Android tablet.

  • Reply 23 of 50
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post


    But, at a broader level, its the tablet device that replaced bunches and bunches of papers.  



     


    No no. Tablets are different things, they existed before the iPad, and they suck.


     


    You are comparing a chariot or a cart to a Mercedes.

  • Reply 24 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    As a fan of the oldies channel I can say for sure Buddy Holly is on there but you know, that thought never crossed my mind. I suspect a funny parody would be less of an issue than a pretty realistic airplane terror type movie.

    Yeah, they died over 50 years ago and like you I doubt most would make that association when listening to their music, but imagine if there was an in-flght station that also included Aaliyah, Randy Rhoads, Otis Redding, Ricky Nelson, John Denver, Patsy Cline, Kim Croce, Stevie Ray Vaughn and was titled Musician who perished whilst flying. Clearly that's hyperbole but I can't imagine that being allowed which means there are likely some guidelines for such things. Perhaps not on music, but on the aforementioned in-flight movie choices. I doubt they only have criteria that makes sure they aren't MPAA rated R.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Yeah, they died over 50 years ago and like you I doubt most would make that association when listening to their music, but imagine if there was an in-flght station that also included Aaliyah, Randy Rhoads, Otis Redding, Ricky Nelson, John Denver, Patsy Cline, Kim Croce, Stevie Ray Vaughn and was titled Musician who perished whilst flying. Clearly that's hyperbole but I can't imagine that being allowed which means there are likely some guidelines for such things. Perhaps not on music, but on the aforementioned in-flight movie choices. I doubt they only have criteria that makes sure they aren't MPAA rated R.

    I agree there must be some guidelines somewhere you'd think. Having said that regarding musicians, how many of those artists perished in full sized airliners though? I do admit to turning down joy rides in rich friend's small planes as I always think of Buddy Holly then! John Denver convinced me to scrap plans for attaching wings and a prop to my lawnmower too ... (oh bad taste joke!)
  • Reply 26 of 50
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Maybe their flight crews should watch what they eat and visit a gym from time to time. Then their fat asses wouldn't have a problem carrying a 40lb bag and their health insurance costs would probably also decrease.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kpluck wrote: »
    Maybe their flight crews should watch what they eat and visit a gym from time to time. Then their fat asses wouldn't have a problem carrying a 40lb bag and their health insurance costs would probably also decrease.

    Seriously?! :no:
  • Reply 28 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post


    Because of iPad or tablet device?



    Um, because of iPads, obviously.


     


    The majority of people and especially businesses and companies are opting for iPads, and not inferior "tablet devices".


     


    I would never get on a plane that used something like an Android tablet in the cockpit, because I'd rather live than die.

  • Reply 29 of 50
    ifailifail Posts: 463member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Seriously?! image


    Can't say i disagree, 40 lbs isnt that heavy at all, i deadlift 10x that amount easily. Hell i see people in their 60s in my gym who can easily do 95-135 lbs like its nothing (which is incredibly impressive for their age/size) 


     


    I see the obvious bonus of space savings for having the ipad and not having to lug around 40 lbs for maybe a few minutes but if that throws your back out, you are most likely grossly out of shape...

  • Reply 30 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ifail wrote: »
    Can't say i disagree, 40 lbs isnt that heavy at all, i deadlift 10x that amount easily. Hell i see people in their 60s in my gym who can easily do 95-135 lbs like its nothing (which is incredibly impressive for their age/size) 

    I see the obvious bonus of space savings for having the ipad and not having to lug around 40 lbs for maybe a few minutes but if that throws your back out, you are most likely grossly out of shape...

    What a complete failure of logic. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 31 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    What a complete failure of logic. image


     


    Can you fail at something you just outright avoided in the first place? image

  • Reply 32 of 50
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ascii View Post




    So... the people charged with safely flying us and landing us, can't figure out how to carry a heavy object without hurting themselves?



    Of course.


     


    Wait. You're serious?


     


    Have you ever worked in an airliner cockpit, particularly late at night after a series of long flights?


     


    Injuries won't happen often, but they do, and when they do, they're expensive to deal with.


     


    This isn't like moving something in your grandmother's basement.

  • Reply 33 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    ifail wrote: »
    Can't say i disagree, 40 lbs isnt that heavy at all, i deadlift 10x that amount easily. Hell i see people in their 60s in my gym who can easily do 95-135 lbs like its nothing (which is incredibly impressive for their age/size) 

    I see the obvious bonus of space savings for having the ipad and not having to lug around 40 lbs for maybe a few minutes but if that throws your back out, you are most likely grossly out of shape...

    Deadlift is quite different than carrying weighs while walking between different terminals at an airport.

    That said, you'd think they would use those wheeled bags.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    How often were the paper ones reprinted for everyone, then shipped out? That would also have some cost involved.


     


    Flight charts themselves are most likely bought directly from a source like Jeppesen.  Instrument  flight paper charts are updated every 56 days, while visual flying Terminal and Sectional charts are updated every six months.


     


    (Jepp updates their electronic nav info every 28 days.)


     



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post



    It'll also save those pilots a lot of (probably uncompensated) time keeping what goes into that bag up to date. And that's likely to mean better-rested, more alert pilots.


     


    Yeah, it's a real pain.  On the other hand, manually updating the charts can be a good thing for pilots going into smaller airports, as you often look to see what the changes are... and they can include something like a new obstruction in the flight path, which is important to know about.


     



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    No no. Tablets are different things, they existed before the iPad, and they suck. You are comparing a chariot or a cart to a Mercedes.




     


    Windows based tablets (and WinCE PDAs) have been used in the cockpit since at least the turn of the century.  


     


    I know, as I was using one back around 2000 with a GPS puck that allowed the map to follow my flight path. I don't believe that iPads are allowed to do that in the airline cockpits.


     


    Heck, it's because of all the years (starting in the 1990s) of pilots using laptops and tablets, that the FAA regulations came about which later allowed the approval of the iPad for some uses.


     


    The primary reason why the iPad is popular with the airlines, is because it's cheap.  They could've given their pilots EFBs well over a decade ago.   (Some did, especially cargo and charter lines.)


     


    As a side note, one of the early problems with laptops was the hard disk.  Their heads float on a cushion of air, and most are externally vented.  At higher altitudes, or if there is cockpit decompression, the hard drives would crash from lack of air.  (Thus the 10,000 foot limit you often see.)  Sealed drives and SSDs (and Flash memory on an iPad) solve that.

  • Reply 35 of 50
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ifail View Post


    Can't say i disagree, 40 lbs isnt that heavy at all, i deadlift 10x that amount easily. Hell i see people in their 60s in my gym who can easily do 95-135 lbs like its nothing (which is incredibly impressive for their age/size) 


     


    I see the obvious bonus of space savings for having the ipad and not having to lug around 40 lbs for maybe a few minutes but if that throws your back out, you are most likely grossly out of shape...



    You just might consider that cockpit isn't the spacious equivalent to a gym. It's far too easy to end up in an awkward stance as you shift those 40 lbs around.

  • Reply 36 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    steveh wrote: »
    You just might consider that cockpit isn't the spacious equivalent to a gym. It's far too easy to end up in an awkward stance as you shift those 40 lbs around.

    Or that people don't typically carry around their gym weights when they go to work. Or that these pilots have to also bring other items with them.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    Or that people don't typically carry around their gym weights when they go to work.


     


    Pilots would have to pay extra for that, anyway. 

  • Reply 38 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Because of iPad or tablet device?
    chandra69 wrote: »
    But, at a broader level, its the tablet device that replaced bunches and bunches of papers.  



    From the article
    While only the iPad is allowed for use as an electronic flight bag,

    That is worth note. The FAA has examined several if not every tablet released in the last 3-5 years and only approves the iPad for this use.

    So it this case iPad, not tablet, is correct as they are not interchangeable at this point
  • Reply 39 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    kpluck wrote: »
    Maybe their flight crews should watch what they eat and visit a gym from time to time. Then their fat asses wouldn't have a problem carrying a 40lb bag and their health insurance costs would probably also decrease.

    And is that what you are going to say to the parents of a 40lb kid when the school gives him a 1.5 lb iPad and not 10 pounds of textbooks etc to haul around all the time
  • Reply 40 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Deadlift is quite different than carrying weighs while walking between different terminals at an airport.

    That said, you'd think they would use those wheeled bags.

    Adding another 5 lbs each to the weight of the plane
Sign In or Register to comment.