JCPenney ad apologizes for changes made by former CEO Ron Johnson

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    scott r wrote: »
    Yes, please bring back American-made products priced at twice the price.  Let those gooks in the other countries who are happy to work at much lower wages to make lower cost items stay jobless and die hungry at an early age.  USA!  USA!  USA!  Derp.

They didn't have a problem with their population getting to 1 billion 'gooks' without American manufacturing jobs.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    scott r wrote: »
    *BUT* there are name-brand, high-priced, stores that seem to still be doing OK.  My daughter likes American Eagle, and they seem grossly overpriced to me.  But, here's the thing: teens/early-twenties care about brand-names, will pressure their parents to overspend on what they want, and/or will charge up and go into debt themselves for fashion.  But JCPenney wasn't "cool", and JCP (under Ron Johnson) still wasn't "cool".  Maybe it would have become "cool" if Ron had more time, maybe not.

In thinking about all of that, I guess if I was running things at JCPenney I might have had Ron's bold ideas implemented by way of opening new stores (or taking certain existing JCPenney stores and completely overhauling them) and have them serve as pilot cases.  They would completely rename them (not simply tweak the JCPenney name as JCP), completely redesign them, hire all-new people (younger/hipper people), etc.  Eventually, if it was successful, more and more stores would be "converted" until the old JCPenney was no more and the new company went by the new name/brand.

I think you make a good case. Trying to beat discounters at their game while being mall anchor stores seems like a bad idea. The cost of square footage is so skewed high at a mall setting, and stores can really only survive if they can command a higher price.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Honestly...

A computer or a tablet may last 4-7 years, while an article of clothing from vietnam or china might last one season. Quality goods will last far far longer (particularly coats and suits.)

If he was trying to turn around the store, he'd have needed at least 5 years. One year would not be enough. As for eliminations of coupons and sales... well you just can't do that since you need stock to turn over much faster than an hardware company. A hardware company you can stock 90 days of equipment and you're guaranteed to sell all of it. Where as clothing you are only guaranteed to sell about 20% of it at full retail, while all the asian and large sizes stick around until it's time to clearance-sale them. Ever try to buy something that's on sale at jcp.com? There will be nothing but sizes 0's, 2's and then suddenly it jumps up to 14 and higher in all the ugly colors.

Like apple makes just ONE item in 3 sizes and 2 colors. JCP makes one item in 16 colors and 20 sizes.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    Ron confused bargain shoppers vs Apple's lifestyle gadget shoppers. Two very very different consumer groups...I think the changes simply push out the bargain hunter and hence declined sales. I think he miscalculated a lot and I'm surprised it took this long for them to drive him out.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So people who use coupons and shops for things on sale are dumb and stupid. image

Yes, if they actually aren't on sale and you can get them cheaper elsewhere anyway. 

It's a game that some folks like to play but in the end buying from the right source is more cost and time efficient.

• Reply 86 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubbytee View Post

JCPenney was an oversized Woolworth before Johnson's arrival. Then it couldn't make up its mind trying to be a cross between Target and Macy's. it will be interesting to see what it becomes now.

Bankrupt. 

• Reply 87 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While short ad appears to lambast Johnson's decisions post facto, according to Bloomberg, the commercial was made under his watch. The publication cites JCPenney spokesman Joey Thomas as saying development of the commercial began a few months ago as a result of poor customer feedback.

This is untrue.  The commercial was made by a new ad agency hired after he left using footage shot for the previous ad campaign "Yours Truly".

http://kensegall.com/2013/05/feeling-jcpenneys-sorrow/#comment-882715167 ;

• Reply 88 of 91
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Shortly after he took over , the most annoying ad in the history of television aired. It was a JCP commercial where people screamed at a high pitch. If he ok'ed it, he deserved to be fired.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    krisckrisc Posts: 2member

I hesitate to agree, because they did lose an enormous amount of money.  But I do believe, given enough time, he could have really turned things around for them.  It's not like they weren't already in a downward spiral when he took over.  Either way, the commercial was a slap in the face to Ron, and somewhat in poor taste. 

• Reply 90 of 91
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Shortly after he took over , the most annoying ad in the history of television aired. It was a JCP commercial where people screamed at a high pitch. If he ok'ed it, he deserved to be fired.

"Shortly after he took over, Apple released the Performa 5620C. It wasn't the revolutionary product we expected. If Steve okayed it, he deserved to be fired."

That's you, and it's silly.

• Reply 91 of 91
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member

I actually shopped at JCP more after the changes than I did before. I hated the Buy 1 get 2nd half off rip off sales tactic. Forcing me to buy more than I want just to get any kind of discount.

After JCP dropped it I noticed that Kohl's started doing it. I now shop less at Kohl's.

Too many brain dead shoppers that think  a sale, any sale is a bargain.