Apple adds 256GB, 512GB flash storage upgrade options for iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Finally, today is the real release date of the new iMac. The november/december launch wasn't a launch actually, because a non-SSD slim computer is nonsense. The SSD on the iMac is as important as any other component, or even more (because of both speed and quietness).

Finally, I can consider a new iMac. The 21inch i7 with 512GB SSD looks interesting in price. If it was available last december, I would have purchased one already, no doubt.

• Reply 22 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Finally, today is the real release date of the new iMac.

Come off it.

The november/december launch wasn't a launch actually, because a non-SSD slim computer is nonsense.

Except you've always had an SSD option… Guess you haven't been paying any attention at all.

Also, it's not nonsense.

• Reply 23 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ireland wrote: »
    You're doing a lot of assuming yourself there. Yes I did check it out before bitching, as you so eloquently put it.

What assuming did I do? In each of my four points I asked a question. My 3rd point was for anyone who wasn't aware of how to check and set their sleep mode. I guess I assumed that not everyone reading this thread would be aware of those commands so colour me embarrassed¡

And it's hard to think you did any of this as 1) you didn't state that you did despite later saying that you debated responding at all when you could have avoided my comment and others by stating the steps you took to verify that shitty disk speeds are "normal" for Fusion Drive, and 2) you very clearly stated that that Fusion Drive wasn't worth it, not just for you, but for everyone as you warned that we all could do ourselves a favour by not buying and it and accused Apple of lying about the performance of Fusion Drive.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not the RAM, it's the lack of SSD. Was your previous iMac SSD? Mine was, and it had 4GB of RAM.

My previous Mac was a 5 year old Mac Pro (HDD only).  My new iMac has a 1TB Fusion drive with 128GB SSD.  As promised, frequently used applications launch almost immediately for me.  And, as for awaking from sleep, it's as fast (or faster) than my Mac Pro was.  Wake from sleep can be affected by how much RAM you have, which is why I mentioned that.

• Reply 25 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

840 Pro, you mean? 500GB 840 is $350 at Amazon. 512GB like what Apple offers seems to be only offered in Pro.

Yeah, that's what I said: Samsung 840 Pro (which performs better than the standard 840).  And yeah, I have noticed that SSD drives which have power-of-two based sizes seem to generally perform better.  Not sure if the manufacturers tend to use faster chipsets in them, or it's something intrinsic to the size.

• Reply 26 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I debated making that comment because I expected responses like yours. Waking from sleep is about 5X slower. I use screen sharing from my iOS devices a lot, it's mega-annoying. Like I say, I'll never recommend Fusion. Sometimes if I wake from sleep and immediately open Safari it'll say "you're not connected to the internet" etc. It's so annoying that it takes that time to connect. Slow. Considering my previous iMac was 5.5 years old I didn't expect things like this to be much slower, I thought they'd be faster. Anyway, that's my story.

Ireland take your Mac to the shop for repair. Falts like "your not connected to the Internet" have nothing to do with fusion drive. Nor do many of the other symptoms posted.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    I debated making that comment because I expected responses like yours. Waking from sleep is about 5X slower. I use screen sharing from my iOS devices a lot, it's mega-annoying. Like I say, I'll never recommend Fusion. Sometimes if I wake from sleep and immediately open Safari it'll say "you're not connected to the internet" etc. It's so annoying that it takes that time to connect. Slow. Considering my previous iMac was 5.5 years old I didn't expect things like this to be much slower, I thought they'd be faster. Anyway, that's my story.

Ireland take your Mac to the shop for repair. Falts like "your not connected to the Internet" have nothing to do with fusion drive. Nor do many of the other symptoms posted.
  • Reply 28 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sometimes if I wake from sleep and immediately open Safari it'll say "you're not connected to the internet" etc. It's so annoying that it takes that time to connect. Slow. Considering my previous iMac was 5.5 years old I didn't expect things like this to be much slower, I thought they'd be faster. Anyway, that's my story.

I see this happen a fair bit if I'm quick on the draw with launching Safari.  The computer will generally wake up much faster than the time it takes the network connection to come back online (especially with Wi-Fi vs hardwired).  This is because it takes a while to connect to the Wi-Fi router and obtain an IP address (especially if you're at the edge of the Wi-Fi range).  It's not a problem with the Fusion drive, it's just a network connection issue.  I've also found the overall performance of some cheaper Wi-Fi routers to be poor.

• Reply 29 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    auxio wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I said: Samsung 840 Pro (which performs better than the standard 840).  And yeah, I have noticed that SSD drives which have power-of-two based sizes seem to generally perform better.  Not sure if the manufacturers tend to use faster chipsets in them, or it's something intrinsic to the size.

Huh, I didn't notice you said it already.

Some chipsets reserve the difference for management purposes.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Something tells me the retina MBPs aren't selling as well as expected. The discount, no matter how you figure it, is pretty deep and tells me Apple is dumping the machines before the new models are released. I just have this feeling most customers don't see the value in a 13" retina MBP.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    As I posted in my own iMac thread, I did not think Apple would actually do this. I am semi mad but also kind of smiling because of this.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Something tells me the retina MBPs aren't selling as well as expected. The discount, no matter how you figure it, is pretty deep and tells me Apple is dumping the machines before the new models are released. I just have this feeling most customers don't see the value in a 13" retina MBP.

I can see your argument but I don't agree with your conclusion. I think the price drop was due to advances that allowed them to reduce costs and I think most that aren't finding value in the RMBPs is more likely do to the higher entry-level price combined with reducing in features like ports and storage capacity. I'd also think that the drop in PC sales across the board — including Macs, even though they doing much, much better than the market average — has reduced the number of PC buyer overall. I personally used to by a new Mac every year, then it became two years with the iPad, and now that I have an iMac I wonder if I'll even care to be ready to buy a new one in 3 years since the jump from my 13" MBP to a mid-range iMac is a world of difference. The biggest draw for me upgrading my iMac in less than 3 years would probably be a 4K or higher display.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I see this happen a fair bit if I'm quick on the draw with launching Safari.  The computer will generally wake up much faster than the time it takes the network connection to come back online (especially with Wi-Fi vs hardwired).  This is because it takes a while to connect to the Wi-Fi router and obtain an IP address (especially if you're at the edge of the Wi-Fi range).  It's not a problem with the Fusion drive, it's just a network connection issue.  I've also found the overall performance of some cheaper Wi-Fi routers to be poor.

I see this all the time at home. We can fire up a browser and attempt to get data before the Mac has made a connection to our AirPort Extreme. I've seen it with a 2007 MacBook, 2010 MacBook Pro and 2011 MacBook Air.

It's counter intuitive, but at work I find that I get an IP address from our Cisco wireless network faster than I get one from Ethernet.

• Reply 34 of 55
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Apple should have transitioned to SSD with the new iMac range last year. Baseline at 128GB with options to increase SSD capacity or go Fusion. Jobs is truly gone.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Apple should have transitioned to SSD with the new iMac range last year. Baseline at 128GB with options to increase SSD capacity or go Fusion. Jobs is truly gone.

But I thought everything in the pipeline for the next couple of years was approved by Jobs?

• Reply 36 of 55
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Or they're re-aligning the prices within the range to make Retina standard as opposed to premium.  If Retina component costs have come down this would make sense.  This way they could slide the cost down over time as opposed to stinging customers with high pre-WWDC pricing then dropping $500 the day after.

Or it could just be that nobody's buying them.

• Reply 37 of 55
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The 13" has a lot of competition...  iPad4, MBA 11, MBA 13, and rMBP15.   I truly think that if you want a laptop with Retina, bigger is better.

Haswell release date June 3,  WWDC on the 10th - my guess is that the MBP13" line is closed for retooling, and there is more than 4 weeks inventory in the pipe.  

• Reply 38 of 55
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Or they're re-aligning the prices within the range to make Retina standard as opposed to premium.  If Retina component costs have come down this would make sense.  This way they could slide the cost down over time as opposed to stinging customers with high pre-WWDC pricing then dropping $500 the day after.

Or it could just be that nobody's buying them.

I think the latter.  Apple rarely in the past lowered prices 'quietly' on computers, and definitely didn't allow for varying prices at the channel retailers.   They've been doing this for months, so I think this is a 'cost of inventory' reduction issue.   If things were selling, they keep the price the same, and increase something else, like SSD or base RAM or something.   That's been the Apple way in the past.

This is a pipeline glut which is being driven by

- mini- recession

- people buying phones and ipads and making due with existing laptops (my 2009 MB is puttering along at home.. my iPad is getting ruts where I drag the unlock switch)

• Reply 39 of 55
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Well, I just ordered a 27" iMac with a 3TB Fusion drive, so I guess I'll see how things work on Saturday, once I get it set up.

As to the Safari not being connected, I do notice that from time to time.  But for some reason, it used to happen a lot more than it does now.  

• Reply 40 of 55
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    mcdave wrote: »

With Phil Schiller, Bob Mansfeld, and Jony Ive still at Apple, they are still in fine shape. Tim Cook will not do to Apple what Ron Johnson did at JC Penney, he has far more sense than he is given credit for.