Gmail app update tightens Google's iOS ecosystem with support for Chrome, Maps, YouTube

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    salmanpaksalmanpak Posts: 35member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Google is a cancer growing within the body Apple. Apple needs to respond in iOS7. I don't use any of Google's stuff anymore. Stopped using Google maps when the new version asked me to set up a Google account before it would open. Used Apple turn-by-turn to navigate all over New Zealand on vacation and it was flawless.

I'm curious what you use for a search engine. Bing? Yahoo? Ask?

• Reply 22 of 36
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    Voice commands with Siri show context awareness - if I previously asked it for the German Bundesliga standings, all I had to do next was say "and what about the Spanish League?" or "and the French?" and Siri would understand and respond correctly with voice and graphics. Not so Google: while Google displayed the initial result faster, it was not smart enough to understand the context of my follow-up questions, and would silently display web page URLs instead... the question "and the French?" thus turned up comical URL results, as did "and what about the Spanish League?".

Google search only drop your words into the search field, and can be easily replicated with Siri dictation to google searchfield in safari
  • Reply 23 of 36
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    mstone wrote: »
    It's a two way street. Apple can't ban Google unless Google breaks the rules. If Google merely bends the rules, it puts Apple in a difficult position because banning a Google app could be viewed unfavorably by the general iOS user base and regulators. Banning Google apps opens a can of worms and allowing Google to run amuck in iOS opens another can of worms.

I wasn't thinking in terms of ban, only in responding by outperforming. Or perhaps at least finding some way of preventing Google from turning your iPhone into a de facto Android phone, which is where I fear they are headed.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

In the case of those choosing Chrome within Gmail, they will merely be depriving their iOS device of the speedy [SIZE=14px]Nitro JavaScript engine that Safari (and Safari alone) employs for rapid web surfing...[/SIZE]

How does nitro compare to v8 though?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    salmanpak wrote: »

I'm curious what you use for a search engine. Bing? Yahoo? Ask?

You got me there. I did keep Google as default search in Safari. Tried Bing for a while. Guess my position is that Google's core competency is search, and I prefer to limit them to that in my world.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    YouTube is the only Google service I still use, but I recently trashed the iOS app for it because compared to the Safari version, it is complete crap.

I am extremely close to completely deleting my Gmail account that I've had for 6 years. All I'm doing now is waiting a few months to see if any stray emails trickle in from random forgotten websites.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have very recently quit using my iCloud mail and I'm forwarding all my Apple mail to another mail service because I was getting quite a bit of spam on my iCloud account. It just started a month or so ago. Not sure what changed but I hate spam. Now the Apple mail gets filtered properly by the other mail service. I still use the Mail app on iOS, I just don't need to log into iCloud anymore.

I do it the other way around - on my business mail goes through apps for domains with google. Apple mail and IOS mail pick up may mails there. It is a good solution because the google spam filter is excellent. When I need to I can access my mail through regular gmail webmail. My primary personal does the same thing except it is collected by iCloud mail. My secondary accounts go directly to iCloud.

I can see the time I will have to change that set-up. I wish iCloud mail would be more versatile. 

• Reply 28 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

Totally off-topic, but it didn't deserve it's own thread and was only an interesting note anyway:

MG Siegler has joined up with Google Ventures as a general partner. 

http://parislemon.com/post/49782762413/on-to-google-ventures

• Reply 29 of 36
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Gmail is clumsy. YouTube performance sucks. Chrome i've no use for.

Fantastic.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    mstone wrote: »
    I wonder how they are doing it programatically. Apple originally allowed apps to have a unique declared file extensions that would open them with a predefined app, but how is Google doing it?

It is pretty simple, Google is using URLs only its apps recognize. The openURL() method can be used to parse the sourceApplication parameter to find out which app is calling and respond or not to the calling app. I have played around with method in my own apps and learned how to ignore calling apps that do not provide the exact URL information needed for a positive response. Yes, this means Google could block calling apps from launching its apps. Hopefully, this answers your question.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philotech wrote: »
    I switched over to Chrome a while ago, and I was surprised how little impact it had that it wasn't the standard browser. Unlike on a PC i can't click on local .html files anyway, so 95% of all cases when Safari is being invoked it's through some in-app purchasing or in-app ads in apps that I'm trying to avoid anyway. Effectively, once I put Chrome on the shelf Safari runs maybe once a week or so.

Do you mean on the iPhone? Then Chrome is just a skin over Safari
  • Reply 32 of 36
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,834member
    But not earth!
  • Reply 33 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    But not earth!

Why would one need Google Earth?
  • Reply 34 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

How does nitro compare to v8 though?

On the iOS platform?

Hah...

• Reply 35 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philotech View Post

I switched over to Chrome a while ago, and I was surprised how little impact it had that it wasn't the standard browser. Unlike on a PC i can't click on local .html files anyway, so 95% of all cases when Safari is being invoked it's through some in-app purchasing or in-app ads in apps that I'm trying to avoid anyway. Effectively, once I put Chrome on the shelf Safari runs maybe once a week or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Do you mean on the iPhone? Then Chrome is just a skin over Safari

Exactly. Not much of a Google "end run", when you consider that all 3rd party browsers on the iOS platform, Chrome included, are little more than "Safari with a 3rd party wrapper", by which I mean Apple's version of mobile WebKit is the underlying browser engine on all iOS devices anyway.

On the plus side, users of Google services now have a "native Google experience" of sorts on iOS devices, but only at the expense of losing the speedy Nitro JavaScript engine that is Safari-only, as well as the more important ability to add articles to their Macs, PCs, iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches in one action using Reading List.

With this in mind, it will not surprise me if Apple let's this change ride (surely Google could not have easily slipped this past Apple's scrutiny at App Store or Management levels), as it helps to debunk the argument that Apple is overly controlling and exclusive of 3rd party alternatives.

The opportunity is Google's to lose in the twinkling of an eye if they let privacy infractions and malware intrusions jeopardise the iOS platform, however...

• Reply 36 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Totally off-topic, but it didn't deserve it's own thread and was only an interesting note anyway:

MG Siegler has joined up with Google Ventures as a general partner. 

http://parislemon.com/post/49782762413/on-to-google-ventures

Wild! An Apple-head roaming free in the Google-plex!

I wonder how many meetings he'll attend where he'll be asked to "recuse himself" and leave due to his known affiliations.

Oh to be a fly on the Googleplex wall - I'd just tail MG around the place...