Nintendo hopes developers will port smartphone games to its struggling Wii U console

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    facetedfaceted Posts: 15member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Their hardware isn't dying, they're not running out of time, and they won't lose generations of anything.

It's finances say otherwise.

• Reply 22 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by faceted View Post

It's finances say otherwise.

They're printing money. How is that "otherwise"?

• Reply 23 of 43
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

what? a $530 million loss in 2011 and a puny $71 million paper profit (but $365 million loss on operations) in 2012:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/24/nintendo-financials-show-a-tough-year

that ain't printing money. that's burning money.

• Reply 24 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

that ain't printing money. that's burning money.

What did Microsoft and Sony spend most of their time doing in the current generation? Why do people believe that gives them the better answer for console success in the next? Have they announced anything yet that provides a guarantee that they'll make a big profit this time around?

• Reply 25 of 43
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member

Quote:

Considering they have been posting losses in revenue for the past 2 years, they are not "printing money". Idiot.

Analysts expect Nintendo to report second annual loss tomorrow ...

• Reply 26 of 43
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    It's HARDLY over for Nintendo.
    It's worse than over over for Nintendo. They have become irrelevant. The next generation of gamers has little interest in the system.
  • Reply 27 of 43

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

It's worse than over over for Nintendo. They have become irrelevant. The next generation of gamers has little interest in the system.

Once again, nothing but FUD.

• Reply 28 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    bigdaddyp wrote: »

Maybe, but they've been through worse. Don't ring the funeral bells until they're actually dead.
  • Reply 29 of 43

Just so everyone knows, Tallest Skil(aka troll) doesnt like it when people prove him wrong. He deleted my post stating that Nintendo is expected to post second full year annual loss in a row.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/23/analysts-expect-nintendo-to-report-second-annual-loss-tomorrow/

• Reply 30 of 43
    Just so everyone knows, Tallest Skil(aka troll) doesnt like it when people prove him wrong. He deleted my post stating that Nintendo is expected to post second full year annual loss in a row.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/23/analysts-expect-nintendo-to-report-second-annual-loss-tomorrow/

You misunderstand. Your comment was deleted for calling a member an idiot.
  • Reply 31 of 43

I make a comment based on my experience and it's fud?

I make a living out of helping kids play video games (being vague so as not to spam the forums).That's 100's of kids per month, thousands per year. I think that puts me in a better position than you for what's hot and what's not in the console space. I don't sell the games or the systems so my observations are based on what the kids want. I don't really care which system is winning, but part of my job is tracking and getting what the kids want. 

Here are some of my observations, and it correlates well to what our business sees across the country (U.S.). Young kids still like the Wii, but are switching over to the X-box/PS3 camp at a much younger age than they used to. X-box is the most popular, followed distantly by PS3.

I have Wii-U's and the interest in them has been just about zero. For example, I have copies of Injustice for all three systems.The X-box version is the most popular, the PS3 version is a distant second, and no one has played the Wii-U version (besides me).

If the next wave of gamers are not excited by the Wii-U, and the older gamers don't give a shit either, how does that bode well for Nintendo? So far there has been nothing released that makes the Wii-U special, and nothing has even been hinted that Nintendo has something that's going to change that.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt......

• Reply 32 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You misunderstand. Your comment was deleted for calling a member an idiot.

Seriously? He, Tallest Skill, a moderator, is constantly belittling and mocking people, especially if they have any positive opinion of Android, Samsung, and anything non-Apple. And no one here can deny that. Perhaps you should consider deleting his posts and removing his moderator status.

• Reply 33 of 43
    Seriously? He, Tallest Skill, a moderator, is constantly belittling and mocking people, especially if they have any positive opinion of Android, Samsung, and anything non-Apple. And no one here can deny that. Perhaps you should consider deleting his posts and removing his moderator status.

This place is often overrrun by anti-Apple trolls, sometimes you're going to ruffle a few feathers. But he rarely calls people names.
  • Reply 34 of 43

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Hmm. That's funny.

Eight posts in and you somehow know I was a moderator and think you're able to call me a troll. Sort of… acting like "one of the old boys".

JeffDM, could you check this guy for a repeat account? He's reading just like someone who has been banned.

• Reply 35 of 43

Quote:

Maybe, but they've been through worse. Don't ring the funeral bells until they're actually dead.

I don't think they are dead, but they are going to have a long stay in the icu. I haven't even heard rumors of something, anything that could change that. If they continue on the same course, imho, they will become the next Atari or Sega.

• Reply 36 of 43

Quote:

Hmm. That's funny.

Eight posts in and you somehow know I was a moderator and think you're able to call me a troll. Sort of… acting like "one of the old boys".

JeffDM, could you check this guy for a repeat account? He's reading just like someone who has been banned.

Just because I only have 8 posts doesnt mean Im a previously banned account. Maybe I have been a reader for the past 7 years and have only cared enough to post on a few topics. Like how you are complete *** to anyone who disagrees with you or proves you wrong. And I have seen plenty of other people posting about how you are a moderator who has deleted other peoples posts in the past. Just because I have a semi-new account(Aug 2012) and very few posts doesnt mean I dont visit here daily and see the person you are.

Edit: I have been an Apple fan and been visiting AppleInsider & MacRumors since I was first introduced to Macs and iPods when I went to a technical university back in 2005.

• Reply 37 of 43

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Here are some of my observations…

Anecdotes aren't evidence unless they're accepted from both sides.

• Reply 38 of 43

Quote:

This place is often overrrun by anti-Apple trolls, sometimes you're going to ruffle a few feathers. But he rarely calls people names.

Im sure there are plenty of posters on these forums who would disagree with that. But you're mind is made up.

• Reply 39 of 43
    Anecdotes aren't evidence unless they're accepted from both sides.
    Now you are just trolling. I give evidence that is beyond anecdotal, and you deflect with a smarmy comment. Yet, you haven't posted anything that refutes what I have said. You my friend, are full of fud today.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well the wii u does have a better support for games in total, it is great for a game with high memory amounts as for its disks support 25 gigabytes verses a iPhone having a full system on a similar amount of memory.(14,28,58 with software subtractions) However not useful outside a house and games often requiring a outside device(its inboard memory is 8, or 32) yet it removes low memory limits with optical, USB, and sd as remove able storage and works with a TV better. It could easily run a small tablet app.