Sharp to reportedly start 'iPhone 5S' LCD production in June

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Remember that the One display uses a PenTile matrix so the resolution figure is misleading. There ARE that many pixels, but it takes 150% more of them to create the same image. Thus a 440ppi PenTile display is the equivalent of a 293ppi IPS screen while being slightly less sharp than a 293ppi IPS.

The iPhone screen is better in bright sunlight and draws less power allowing longer battery life.

Like everything else in life, every gain comes at the price of a sacrifice somewhere else.

HTC One uses a Super LCD3 capacitive display with a 1920x1080 pixel Full HD resolution at 469ppi and not a pentile display. All I can say is seeing is believing. I have done a side by side comparison with my iPhone 5 and the HTC blows it away. Don't take my word for it, check it out yourself and do your own test.  

• Reply 22 of 27
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The HTC One use Super LCD 2, not Samsung's PenTile AMOLED technology. It's RGB all the way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

HTC One uses a Super LCD3 capacitive display with a 1920x1080 pixel Full HD resolution at 469ppi and not a pentile display.

I stand corrected. Sorry.

• Reply 23 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    There is more to perception than your ability to see or not see the pixels. Retina, in this case, is a marketing effort not a scientific evaluation of the screen.
    hmm wrote: »

I was wondering the same thing. Higher resolution may still contribute to the sense of realism, but it needs to be a pretty significant difference to be noticeable. I suspect this isn't a high priority for Apple, as a stronger backlight would cut into battery life.
    There are many factors to consider, even the gloss of the screen and things like saturation come into play. The actual pixel count might not be a factor in what he saw, more testing is required.

Battery life is always an issue. Interesting here is the mention of Sharp which cold mean significant battery lifetime improvements given IGZO or whatever technology. The scoop seems to be that these screens give a better user experience at the same pixel densities too. In any event if Sharps screens deliver the rumored power savings, I've heard as much as 40%, then it could very well be a significant upgrade to the iPhones screen.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland wrote: »
    That's a strange question to ask him. It sounds to me like you don't believe him?

Do you?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by danwarne View Post

I would be quite disappointed if Apple stuck with the same resolution for the 5S.

Thanks for your magical assessment of nonsense. You already can't see the pixels on an iPhone display. Explain how doubling it again would make any sense.

• Reply 26 of 27
    Come on Apple, let's make a large iPhone. The iPhone5 is a joke. Been using Apple since the Apple IIe and my 62 year old eyes and fingers need a much large screen.

The retina hype is a joke. Please make something that is larger, not something that has a sexy name (Retina) that no one really knows what it is.

Thx Much
  • Reply 27 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by FredDavenport View Post

Come on Apple, let's make a large iPhone. The iPhone5 is a joke.

That explains why you're "sticking with your iPhone 4". image

…no one really knows what it is.

Do some effing reading and you'll know exactly what it is. My stars.