Microsoft brings Office 365 support to Office for Mac 2011 in software update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

You're not being consistent.  I never said Office 2013 was necessary or good.  It's actually horse manure.  Not ready for prime time.

Office 2011 is.  It's the only "good" Mac release of Office that's ever been done IMO.  Yes -- it has Ribbon interface.  As the entire world has -- and will have -- for probably the next decade.

I don't suggest you need to enjoy Ribbon -- only that, if you use these tools -- and intend to work at all -- you'll need to fully adjust to it.  Yes, it sucked to learn.  And yes, if you're a pro, you've probably already been there done that. 

Office 2011 came as an improved version of Office 2010 for PC.  2011 is fully as good as 2010 except it lacks Access (for what that's worth).  If Mac Office sucked, I'd be concerned about the Mac platform going away -- and quite soon.  FCP is the platform's only purpose I can think of offhand.  Office -- at least -- gives it Mac a 'participant' status in computing -- barely. 

If you ask me, OSX is in its final few years right now.  iOS is where 99% of development time is now focused.  Once they have iPad Minis that connect to 26" monitor, and run iWork  / Office (replacing student and home computing), I think Mac will be effectively dead.  Developers have anticipated this and stopped innovating on the Mac.

• Reply 22 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I never said Office 2013 was necessary or good.

I never said you did. Pay attention to what you DID say, however.

Yes -- it has Ribbon interface.  As the entire world has -- and will have -- for probably the next decade.

lol, iWork.

…if you use these tools — and intend to work at all -- you'll need to fully adjust to it.

iWork.

And yes, if you're a pro, you've probably already been there done that. 

A "pro" at typing documents… Huh… 

If Mac Office sucked, I'd be concerned about the Mac platform going away -- and quite soon.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all week.

FCP is the platform's only purpose I can think of offhand.

Think offhand harder. Or just go away.

Office -- at least -- gives it Mac a 'participant' status in computing -- barely. 

Why not masturbate Microsoft's ego on their own forums?

If you ask me, OSX is in its final few years right now.

Real hard deduction to come by, given that this is the way computing is moving on its own.

iOS is where 99% of development time is now focused.

Citation needed.

Once they have iPad Minis that connect to 26" monitor…

Already possible. Has been for years. Didn't stop anything. Not going to stop anything. iOS isn't a desktop OS.

Developers have anticipated this and stopped innovating on the Mac.

Citation needed.

• Reply 23 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    In what I thought was a head-scratcher at first, [B]HP has chosen to partner with Google to promote Google Apps instead of Microsoft Office[/B]. After reading the AllThingsD article about it, perhaps HP felt pressured when MS went for a bailout of their rival Dell.
    http://allthingsd.com/20130611/hp-and-google-team-up-to-offer-small-businesses-it-in-a-box/