Google looks to spark iOS browser war with OpenInChrome function

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple has just announced that turning on 'Private Browsing' in iOS 7 will cause your iPhone to check to see if any Google apps are installed and, if it finds any, it then deletes them.

;)
  • Reply 22 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gtr wrote: »
    Apple has just announced that turning on 'Private Browsing' in iOS 7 will cause your iPhone to check to see if any Google apps are installed and, if it finds any, it then deletes them.

;)

Perhaps a little over the top but this could work, too.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 23 of 69
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member

I am waiting when Apple tells : "This is our platform !"

When they will kill gmail for iOS- forcing users to use default app that janks links into safari.

When they will make an program that "lies" to google servers, protecting personal info.

When they will make any google apps open links in safari

- click on link in you tube - you are in safari

- click on link in google maps - you are in safari

- and the best one, click on link in Chrome - you are in safari

When they will not allow any google app that works with other google apps.

When they will destroy google advertizing business on iOS (safari will not show google ads, apps will not be able to use google ads or ads feeded with personal info that google stealed)

google stealed years of Apple's research, development, they are trying to destroy iPhone and iPad and Apple ? They do nothing, if they wanted they could destroy google few times now... i sometimes hate how Apple is trying so much to get well with others.

• Reply 24 of 69
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    tbell wrote: »
    Google is not promoting user choice if the third party app automatically opens Chrome. I also have Chrome on my iPhone, but I never use it. I downloaded it to be curious. Now all the sudden third party apps are going to open up things in Chrome. No thanks.

Me too. I downloaded Chrome and Google Search just out of curiosity. Never use them at all.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    skottichan wrote: »
    And what if I have Chrome installed but only use it for certain pages that don't display right in Safari? If the article is correct, it looks for Chrome and then directs you to it if it is installed. And I think I have the right to NOT have random apps go "Oh, you have Chrome installed? Then screw your normal surfing habits, I'm taking you to Chrome instead of Safari".

If you actually read the article instead of being sarcastic, it's something developers can download and add to their apps that modifies the behavior of links within their apps. It's up for download now, meaning it could theoretically be in the wild as of... what's the average pass through from submission to App Store approval these days?

It wouldn't make Chrome as default for all apps, only the ones you choose and it would have to be a option put in by the dev.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Me too. I downloaded Chrome and Google Search just out of curiosity. Never use them at all.

I typically grab other browsers as back up options, but I can't say i've had an issue with Safari on Mac OS X or iOS not working as expected for years now.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Just seems like reasonable functionality to me, and if Apple doesn't allow changing the default browser (which for security and privacy may have value but I hope Apple adds the option) then developers need workarounds. So does Google. They've offered a decent solution--I approve.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tbell wrote: »
    Google is not promoting user choice if the third party app automatically opens Chrome. I also have Chrome on my iPhone, but I never use it. I downloaded it to be curious. Now all the sudden third party apps are going to open up things in Chrome. No thanks.

It wouldn't be 'all of a sudden', you'd have to set it up that way. Try reading the article guys.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    iang1234iang1234 Posts: 35member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This sounds like a security hole in the sandboxing that Apple needs to plug in the next iOS update. Apps ought not be able to check what other apps are installed.

Every apps on iOS can register URL schemes. If an app open an URL, iOS will take the scheme and open the app that can handle it. What Google does is register 3 schemes for Chrome and developers can use them to open a web page (http, https) using Chrome instead of Safari. iOS also provides a function to check if a scheme can be handled by any of installed apps.

This of course requires support from the app developers. If they want to open a web page using the default browser (which is Safari, at least for now), they can keep using http or https. If they want to open the page using Chrome, they need to change the URL to use googlechrome or googlechromes (or googlechrome-x-callback) scheme first.

Everything is provided by iOS and documented here http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/AdvancedAppTricks/AdvancedAppTricks.html

There's something interesting with http/https handler, though. Most of the time, opening http/https link will open Safari. One of the exceptions is if the links are AppStore links, the AppStore app will be opened. The interesting part is if the link is a YouTube link, it will open Google's YouTube app (if it's installed) and not other apps that can also view YouTube.

• Reply 30 of 69
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I personally see it as sign that Google is conceding the war on Mobile Internet access has been won by Apple. Up to this point they were hoping their own Android platform would generate far more mobile internet access than iOS. However, as all the data shows even thought Android is loaded and running on more phones than iOS most Android users are cheap and clueless to using a smart phone. Plus with Apple yanking their built in access to user usage they have no choose.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I personally see it as sign that Google is conceding the war on Mobile Internet access has been won by Apple. Up to this point they were hoping their own Android platform would generate far more mobile internet access than iOS. However, as all the data shows even thought Android is loaded and running on more phones than iOS most Android users are cheap and clueless to using a smart phone. Plus with Apple yanking their built in access to user usage they have no choose.

I wouldn't think Google particularly cares where the revenue initiates as long as they aren't beholden to anyone in particular or otherwise locked out of it. The whole Android effort from Google was originally intended to ensure Microsoft wouldn't hold all the keys to the mobile platform and it's advertising revenue like they tried to do on the desktop. Apple's iPhone didn't even exist then so Android certainly wasn't targeting Apple.

• Reply 32 of 69
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member
    You have to hand it to them -- Google are devious little f***ers! An impressive strategy to infiltrate and take over an existing 'host' ecosystem (iOS), and thereby benefit from its success. Reminds me of the way a successful virus operates...
  • Reply 33 of 69
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I wouldn't think Google particularly cares where the revenue initiates as long as they aren't beholden to anyone in particular or otherwise locked out of it. The whole Android effort from Google was originally intended to ensure Microsoft wouldn't hold all the keys to the mobile platform and it's advertising revenue like they tried to do on the desktop. Apple's iPhone didn't even exist then so Android certainly wasn't targeting Apple.

Revisionist BS. Google specifically and publicly stated that Android was targeted at Apple and the iPhone. These statements were made by Vic Gundotra and he likened Apple to Big Brother at the time.

As we know, Google is Big Brother. You and Vic are shameless hypocrites and apparently incapable of honesty.

• Reply 34 of 69
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iang1234 View Post

Every apps on iOS can register URL schemes. If an app open an URL, iOS will take the scheme and open the app that can handle it. What Google does is register 3 schemes for Chrome and developers can use them to open a web page (http, https) using Chrome instead of Safari. iOS also provides a function to check if a scheme can be handled by any of installed apps. ...

I understand that this takes advantage of an existing feature, but it can potentially be used to identify what apps that support known URL schemes are installed on a user's device. This is a potential security and privacy risk. And, as we see in this instance, can be used to subvert user intentions.

• Reply 35 of 69
    ryantsairyantsai Posts: 6member

Why is this a problem for Apple? if anything this gives Google service users more incentive to buy iOS devices.

• Reply 36 of 69
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

chromed out

OpenInChromeController also makes the Back button in Chrome point toward the originating app, so that users can return to the app in one tap.

In case nobody noticed, this is the primary thing of importance to the user.

Just as with Android's Back button, it will make jumping out to a browser a much more pleasurable experience than it currently is in iOS.  

Right now, once you're done using the iOS-app-launched browser, you have to remember / find / relaunch the app that sent you to the web in the first place.

• Reply 37 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

In case nobody noticed, this is the primary thing of importance to the user.

Just as with Android's Back button, it will make jumping out to a browser a much more pleasurable experience than it currently is in iOS.  

Right now, once you're done using the iOS-app-launched browser, you have to remember / find / relaunch the app that sent you to the web in the first place.

Excellent point sir. I know I had overlooked that beneficial little feature. Good catch.

• Reply 38 of 69
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

forgetaboutit, Google! Why should I open my door to thieves? Your business model is to steal and sell my data. No thanks.

• Reply 39 of 69
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jguther View Post

forgetaboutit, Google! Why should I open my door to thieves? Your business model is to steal and sell my data. No thanks.

Drama is unnecessary.  Knowledge is power.

As with any third party browser on iOS, it uses the same web browser engine as Safari.  Chrome on iOS is just a shell which basically adds the ability to sync tabs and bookmarks between devices.

The main difference in this use-case is that there will be a button that takes you back to the original calling app.

• Reply 40 of 69
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I understand that this takes advantage of an existing feature, but it can potentially be used to identify what apps that support known URL schemes are installed on a user's device. This is a potential security and privacy risk. And, as we see in this instance, can be used to subvert user intentions.

You do realize that web pages can check to see whether an app is installed already on an iOS device? So if Apple feels that ability is okay for a web page, what bullshit security risk are you going to come up with that would force Apple to remove the feature? I'm guessing you really don't have one but you hate the idea that this feature gives some advantage to Google thus you want it taken it away. It would honestly be helpful if your arguments were based on something other than irrational hatred of a company.