Heavy rains in Manhattan breach Apple's flagship Fifth Ave store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"Most of the water had been mopped up a few hours later, and the store remained open the entire time."

Talk about defining "Slow News Day"......

As to "The Cube": it's a reasonably small area of the belowground total area so water entry through the belowground's ceiling could be from other parts of that plaza.

• Reply 22 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    not sure why this is news worthy.  I mean, did anyone drown and die?

I was interested to see it. They need to take a look at this and prevent future floods in this underground store. As some who's looking to someday build and underground home, I find this interesting. And yes, I'm serious.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    15 seamless glass panels yet a significant amount of water made it inside the seamless cube during a rainstorm??

Shouldn't it then be 1 seamless piece of glass?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    zoolook wrote: »
    The front is always open, that's how it got in - the floor is also really flat at the entrance so a rapid build up of water could easily come down the stairs.

It rained this morning like I've never seen before in New York - it was literally like being under a waterfall.

Then you haven't been in New York long.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    guiguihipguiguihip Posts: 29member

Maybe because this website covers Apple news and that Apple's flagship store in NYC being flooded is actually, for this website, worth mentioning. It would not be newsworthy on national TV.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    guiguihipguiguihip Posts: 29member
    jungmark wrote: »
    This wouldnt have happened if Jobs was alive. /s

Oh yeah right! Cause if Steve would have been here, he would have come down to New York this week and he'd have put sand bags in front of the entrance and he'd have helped clean up. NO! He could not have helped in any way, just like Cook didn't. Also, it's apparently because of the ceiling and floor up on the plaza the store was flooded. Jobs certainly helped a great deal when planning these renovations: they ocurred in 2011, when Jobs was still CEO, just putting it out there!
  • Reply 27 of 36
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by guiguihip View Post

Oh yeah right! Cause if Steve would have been here, he would have come down to New York this week and he'd have put sand bags in front of the entrance and he'd have helped clean up. NO! He could not have helped in any way, just like Cook didn't. Also, it's apparently because of the ceiling and floor up on the plaza the store was flooded. Jobs certainly helped a great deal when planning these renovations: they ocurred in 2011, when Jobs was still CEO, just putting it out there!

You quoted and then ignored a sarcasm tag...

But anyway, I hope the same design wasn't used on the yacht. /s

That's another sarcasm tag, that is.

• Reply 28 of 36
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Oh please.  This is typical media-spin that makes it sound like water somewhere made its way through the cube structure, or possibly through the cube itself.

I did a little quick search on more detail regarding this.  Looks like wherever AI scraped the article from, some details were conveniently left out.  

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/flood_at_the_fifth_avenue_apple_WnpmuPMAgrPxHj7P0u8fcI

Here's the part that stands out from THIS article:

=============

According to one worker, today's deluge of water may have been due to problems with construction completed last year on the roof of the store.

"It's because of the construction they did last year on the roof," the worker said. "They didn't do it right. There are large flat stones up there [that you walk across as you go into the store]. And with the heavy rain this morning, [the water] came through."

=============

The glass cube DOES NOT have large flat stones "up there" and not much of a roof to put it on.  AI's story sounded fishy to begin with.  Sounds like someone wanted to make it sound like it was a flaw in the glass structure itself, probably for click-bait.

Maybe they should have said "Water leaked through the sidewalk into Apple's silly underground store."?

• Reply 29 of 36
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then you haven't been in New York long.

8 years.

• Reply 30 of 36
    zoolook wrote: »
    8 years.

Lemme see, 8 years and you live in Brooklyn, I'm guessing you're a hipster.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

This will come back to bite you.

• Reply 32 of 36
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    15 seamless glass panels yet a significant amount of water made it inside the seamless cube during a rainstorm??

No failure of Apple gets by you.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    jungmark wrote: »
    This wouldnt have happened if Jobs was alive. /s

All the more evidence Tim Cook needs to go.

/s
  • Reply 34 of 36

One hopes that loss of life does not have to occur for information to be deemed worthy of our attention. But feel free to disagree.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Dang, all those moisture detectors going off in iDevices invalidating the Apple Warranty! :D
  • Reply 36 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Dang, all those moisture detectors going off in iDevices invalidating the Apple Warranty! :D

Too funny!