Drawing app Paper gets pinch-to-zoom, 'Made With Paper' art gallery, new Ink Engine in update

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Paper by FiftyThree received an update on Wednesday with the addition of a few new features and backend enhancements, including a much-needed pinch-to-zoom feature that allows artists to quickly make detailed refinements to a piece.

Paper

Paper, which was Apple's App of the Year for 2012, added a few new tricks to its much lauded iPad app with version 1.3.1, including an art gallery filled with creations "Made With Paper."

Most significant of the additions, however, is the zoom feature for inspecting drawn elements and making minute adjustments. While the iPad's screen size is great for sketching and brush-style works, intricate drawings were sometimes a hassle to get finished. The shortcoming was amplified when using styluses like the pogo connect or Wacom's Bamboo, both of which have fairly large tips that can make it hard to distinguish exactly where it will make contact with the screen.

With the new pinch-to-zoom feature, users can simply use the common gesture to bring up a loupe-like overlay that enlarges a circular region of the drawing. Implementation is excellent and there is little to no detail loss when zooming in close.

Made With Paper shows up as its own folio located to the very right of user-created sketchbooks. The feed comes from FiftyThree's blog, which features a number of works uploaded by various Paper users.

Finally, FiftyThree's Expressive Ink Engine is now OpenGL-based, which reduces the lag time between input and rendering.

Paper comes in at 48MB and is available for free from the App Store. In-app purchases include a unique color mixer, brushes and and pencil sets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Awesome. I fucking love this app. So incredibly beautiful and well made. Nice to see they're continuing to develop and expand it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Sounds nice, and I'll check it out.
    (Edited because I've revised my dislike of 'rollback'. Still don't love it, but not that horrible either.)
  • Reply 3 of 7

Love this app. My only quibble is the difficulty I have doing the "undo" twirl. It's a problem with my own finger coordination, not the app. Looking forward to trying out the new features.

• Reply 4 of 7
    digital_guydigital_guy Posts: 162member

AI seems to be running a little thin on story ideas if App updates are now gaining their own articles. I tend to rely on AppShopper. There are potentially thousands of story ideas that could be taken from there on a regular basis. Hmm. Slow day?

• Reply 5 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

AI seems to be running a little thin on story ideas if App updates are now gaining their own articles. I tend to rely on AppShopper. There are potentially thousands of story ideas that could be taken from there on a regular basis. Hmm. Slow day?

I don't mind if it's once in a while, and focused on major apps that many people use. There's only a couple times a year where there's REAL, major, confirmed stories about Apple. The rest tends to be analyst bullshit and speculation. I prefer these stories to analyst bullshit. 

• Reply 6 of 7
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

I liked the app, but I get very turned off by the in-app purchases. Just charge full price, instead of free with in-app add ons, and I'll buy it.  I wanna know up front how much it costs.

• Reply 7 of 7
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    gordio wrote: »
    I liked the app, but I get very turned off by the in-app purchases. Just charge full price, instead of free with in-app add ons, and I'll buy it.  I wanna know up front how much it costs.

Agree