An emotional Bill Gates pays homage to Steve Jobs while recounting final meeting

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What I find most perplexing is that both Jobs and Gates have this idea that technology can solve problems with education. Maybe some day when scientist can engineer the Brian and directly download intelligence but I'm going to put this out there, technology in the form of computers can not fix the problem of the development of a biological organism. It isn't like each human comes with a 6502 that you can download new code into to get expected behavior. The fact is many many people are literally born stupid or have biological development that sets them at odds with the best interest of society.

Now given that technology can help make life easier for a student. The best example here is the fact that a device like iPad makes carrying "books" around that much easier. However books aren't much of an improvement to education as they have been around +2000 years.

It is a noble concern these two men have but it is also an error in thinking. If they really wanted to better education the technology should have been going to research into ways to enhance the educational process, and to enhance our understanding of the learning process. Maybe a pill to overcome stupidity and gullibility too. Because honestly up until now technology has done little to actually enhance our ability to increase the general intelligence of the human population. It has made the load lighter for kids going to school, which isn't really a positive goal anyway. It has also made access to knowledge far easier.

Similarly this idea that access will make people smarter is also a mistake. Access at times seems to result in more extremist views than anything, especially if it it is coupled with personalities that believe if it is in the web it must be true. Access is useless if you don't know what to do with the information. Which comes back to what impact does technology have on getting people to think intelligently and to evaluate information critically. Sadly what we are seeing today is technology often being used to manipulate people into believing things that aren't true or have yet to be proven soundly.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I would love to sit down to dinner with Jobs, Gates, Warren Buffett, and Dean Kamen.

Maybe before dinner or after dinner but when I sit down to a table is generally hungry and the last thing I want to hear is a bunch of yapping about whatever. This makes about as much sense as the business trend of the last few years called lunch and learn. I'm sorry but if I've been working for 4-6 hours straight and the blood sugar is getting real low the last thing I will want to do is to try to concentrate on a conversation. Generally I'm trying to avoid passing out not enhance my mental well being.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

On that, too, what Steve said in '95.

Sorry, I have no idea where it starts… After the first ten minutes, I'm sure…

• Reply 24 of 35
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Design and marketing? What an incredibly insulting and ignorant way to characterise Jobs's contribution.

• Reply 25 of 35

Originally Posted by poke View Post

Design and marketing? What an incredibly insulting and ignorant way to characterise Jobs's contribution.

It's Bill Gates. What did you expect? Funny that he's trying to atone for his past sins and yet still pulls this crap.

• Reply 26 of 35
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Always gad a soft spot for Bill. Ballmer, not so much.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    On that, too, what Steve said in '95.
    [video]
    Sorry, I have no idea where it starts… After the first ten minutes, I'm sure…

Thanks for that interview, really insightful. I was surprised to know quite a few of his stories from previous articles, but still, worth watching - no doubt.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Let's make a story out of nothing. It turns out Bill Gates is human; somewhat.

Lets put  down a man that shows he had respect for his competitor and showed emotion that there was a connection. Just because you read in newspaper about Bill Gates and assume your opinions, just give the guy respect for what he has achieved and going to achieve in future.

Its sad when this forum is so twisted in our belief of Apple, we can not admire the other achievers.

Yes I am MASSIVE Apple supporter,  but I respect Bill Gates for his achievements, even though I dislike his products.

• Reply 29 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's Bill Gates. What did you expect? Funny that he's trying to atone for his past sins and yet still pulls this crap.

Again forum so twisted you look at that as negative remark. I actually think Bill Gates was right, his best quality was DESIGN and knew how to market a product to perfection. Please list any stronger traits then that, because Bill was talking about his strongest traits.

• Reply 30 of 35
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Lets put  down a man that shows he had respect for his competitor and showed emotion that there was a connection. Just because you read in newspaper about Bill Gates and assume your opinions, just give the guy respect for what he has achieved and going to achieve in future.

I agree. I'll take what Bill said at face value and I think there was always respect for Steve on Bill's part. Of course I keep reading about Bill banning Apple products in his home, but I still think he respected Steve and this came out here.

No need to put him down for that.

• Reply 31 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I agree. I'll take what Bill said at face value and I think there was always respect for Steve on Bill's part. Of course I keep reading about Bill banning Apple products in his home, but I still think he respected Steve and this came out here.

No need to put him down for that.

Thanks for agreement, but do you think Steve had any windows software in his house or was seen to promote windows software unless there was a Mac version. Bill Gates is still Chairman of Microsoft and would not look good for their image, If he has Apple products. Remember his kids still go to school and if the kids were photographed with iPod, that would be a lamb to media slaughter. I do not grudge him for banning Apple products.

Do you think AMD have any intel chipped computers in their building?

• Reply 32 of 35

Again forum so twisted you look at that as negative remark. I actually think Bill Gates was right, his best quality was DESIGN and knew how to market a product to perfection. Please list any stronger traits then that, because Bill was talking about his strongest traits.

I love how all you people ignore that he was CEO of a company that went from bankruptcy to being the wealthiest publicly traded company in the world.

It's as though that's easy to miss or something.

• Reply 33 of 35

Quote:

I love how all you people ignore that he was CEO of a company that went from bankruptcy to being the wealthiest publicly traded company in the world.

It's as though that's easy to miss or something.

We did not forget, but I did say agree his  strongest skills were marketing and design, not their were his only skills. Again you are so twisted against Bill Gates, you hear one thing and make it sound negative.

Again supporter of Apple, but not a fanatic that is blind to read the positive in a statement by a competitor.

P.S. Bill Gates has praised Steve numerous times on his ability to turn around Apple, but you would not remember these interviews/comments of course.

• Reply 34 of 35

…I did say agree his strongest skills were marketing and design, not their were his only skills. 

Okay, I still disagree.

Again you are so twisted against Bill Gates, you hear one thing and make it sound negative.

Not really.

P.S. Bill Gates has praised Steve numerous times on his ability to turn around Apple, but you would not remember these interviews/comments of course.

First because they're not relevant here and second because that's not what he's saying here.

• Reply 35 of 35

Quote:

Okay, I still disagree.

Not really.

First because they're not relevant here and second because that's not what he's saying here.

Please that is definition, it does not mean, he meant that, that's your opinion and only Bill Gates can confirm that he was being insulting or honest praise.

Again your opinion, it is not relevant, but it is very relevant, since you accused Bill Gates of insulting Steve because he defined Steve's greatest qualities as a  visionary person (design) and marketing and fogot to mention Steve's  ability to turn around a company. I stated that Bill has commented on Steve's fantastic job numerous times previously and that is not relevant. (Oh Tallest Skil, you must be right NOT!). You see it as negative and it must be what Bill was implying, oh yeah..lol

Steve learned from his first stint with Apple that you need to focus on the business and not just marketing and design, he always had a nature ability for design and marketing. Anyway negativity is common trait of you with Bill Gates.

Lastly youwould know what he was meaning, since you know Bill Gates, all mater of an opinion, but in your case, you are always rightimage

P.S. Funny Steve saw Bill as person, he wanted to talk to (talked on numerous occasions), since their both from the same era and are successful persons in their own right and as much as he hated Microsoft, he had admiration for Bill and vice versa.