Rumor: Apple to feature sapphire crystal touch home button on 'iPhone 5S'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member

Exactly.. It really depends on the technology. the old style optical finger print sensors are garbage, the newer ones that utilize infrared/capacitance technology that can detect sub-surface blood vessels, etc can be very reliable and secure. I'm sure Apple will use cutting edge technology...

• Reply 62 of 89
    imkjimkj Posts: 3member
    What if I sleep and someone have my finger scanned to the iPhone ?? Well it work??
  • Reply 63 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    omair wrote: »
    Any possibility of this making it into ipad this year?

If it makes it into the new iPhone it'll very likely be in the new iPad.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    imkj wrote: »
    What if I sleep and someone have my finger scanned to the iPhone ?? Well it work??

If you're that paranoid you could just turn off the feature.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Or use both pin and fingerprint. You'll need to tap the Home button to access the pin dialog anyway.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    ireland wrote: »
    If you're that paranoid you could just turn off the feature.
    That's so secure ...thanks Mr. Jony ive
  • Reply 67 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by imKj View Post

That's so secure ...thanks Mr. Jony ive

Your fears are ludicrous, so your sarcasm is unnecessary.

• Reply 68 of 89
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    ascii wrote: »
    Nah, it will just be synthetic/industrial sapphire, not the kind a girl wears.
    I assume the same as on iPhone 5 camera lens.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Blood pressure too eh? Clever. So .... cutting off a finger won't work then! So much for all the TV shows and films that do that then. I just hope the street gangs know this fact. image

If this does happen, how long before the Scamsung paid shills start pressing their fingers too hard then?

No cutting off a finger wont work.  If you go to Authentec's website they explain that the sensor has to have live tissue to work, because it scans the surface of the skin as well as below the skin.  It cant be fooled by a dead finger or gelatine

It is indeed a true biometric sensor.  The tech behind is is really pretty cool.

• Reply 70 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mechanic wrote: »
    No cutting off a finger wont work.  If you go to Authentec's website they explain that the sensor has to have live tissue to work, because it scans the surface of the skin as well as below the skin.  It cant be fooled by a dead finger or gelatine

It is indeed a true biometric sensor.  The tech behind is is really pretty cool.

A severed digit still has tissue. If you reduce it to the phalanx, sure, then it's just bone. They do have measures to attempt to make sure it's an actual finger but this is nothing new and to say "it can't fooled" is like saying the Titanic can't be sunk.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Then again, to say that it is not more secure than the status quo is like saying Titanic is no bigger than a regular boat. *If* they include the feature, then it is something new for us.

In security, every bit of improvement counts when used in a proper way.

One can argue that technologies are subjected to misuse. As in Titanic sank partly because of a series of operator errors. That doesn't mean the tech was not a good step forward.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    5S%u2026 what a stupid name considering how much it cheapens the brand. Call it iPhone 6 and make people buy it!
  • Reply 73 of 89
    imkj wrote: »
    If someone has use of your finger while you sleep, you have more security issues than just "someone is using my iPhone". Think about what you said. If someone you don't trust has access to your physical person while you sleep, you just might not wake up.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

If someone has use of your finger while you sleep, you have more security issues than just "someone is using my iPhone". Think about what you said. If someone you don't trust has access to your physical person while you sleep, you just might not wake up.

Or it could simply be one of your college roommates thinking it'd be fun to share your personal photos and email with everyone else in the dorm :)

(Thinking back to some of the similar immature pranks we pulled in college listening in on phone lines, hiding shaving cream on objects, putting sleeping hands in warm water, etc.)

• Reply 75 of 89

It is not difficult to take a video of your roommate or family member typing his/her password too. As I mentioned above, my son is pretty good at guessing my pin code after watching me for a few months. 

If it's important enough, use privacy screen, pin code and fingerprinting. Some people don't even use a lock screen code on their phone. So your mileage will definitely vary.

Without fingerprinting, they don't have to grab your finger physically to get into your phone. If it's used for online services, it's at least an additional physical barrier to cross; not just password guessing or phishing.

• Reply 76 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

5S%u2026 what a stupid name considering how much it cheapens the brand.

In what conceivable way does that name 'cheapen the brand'? I'll wait. You won't answer.

• Reply 77 of 89

Back to the sapphire button.  I was thinking about it this morning.

Synthetic sapphire cannot be molded, it has to be grown for days and then cut.  A concave shape would be relatively costly and a waste of material.  

On the other hand, it would be pretty cool marketing-wise.  A sapphire under your finger!

Then I wondered about its electrical properties.  Is it a good choice for capacitive touch?  As it turns out, it's fine. There's even a smartphone that actually has its entire screen covered in sapphire:  the $10,000 titanium and leather Android based Vertu Ti.  (It's a Vertu, what do you expect?)

• Reply 78 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Back to the sapphire button.  I was thinking about it this morning.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Synthetic sapphire cannot be molded, it has to be grown for days and then cut.  A concave shape would be relatively costly and a waste of material.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">On the other hand, it would be pretty cool marketing-wise.  A sapphire under your finger!</span>

Then I wondered about its electrical properties.  Is it a good choice for capacitive touch?  As it turns out, it's fine. <span style="line-height:1.231;">There's even a smartphone that actually has its entire screen covered in sapphire:  the $10,000 titanium and leather Android based </span>
    <a href="http://www.vertu.com/en/collections/vertu-ti.aspx" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">Vertu Ti</a>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">.  (It's a Vertu, what do you expect?)</span>

This was rumoured for future Apple products just a couple months ago.

• Reply 79 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This was rumoured for future Apple products just a couple months ago.

Thanks.  I also ran across this very informational video about how the sapphire is made, and how much it would cost to use on a smartphone (currently $30, in mass production perhaps $10-$15... versus $3 for Gorilla Glass).

• Reply 80 of 89

ok Mr Expert