Verizon confirms $100 iPhone 5 for featurephone customers [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon has confirmed to AppleInsider that the carrier will indeed be offering the iPhone 5 for just $100, but only to select customers as a promotional effort to encourage smartphone adoption.

verizon screencap

Update: A Verizon representative contacted AppleInsider to clarify the carrier's iPhone 5 pricing. The $100 pricing is not a deal that will be extended to all Verizon customers. It is, instead, an offer for specific customers that are off-contract or within two months of the end of their contract with a featurephone.

"It's a promotion," the spokesperson told AppleInsider. "Many of these customers have indicated through usage or wireless purchase patterns that they'd be interested in moving to a smartphone, and this is an exciting price point with an exciting phone."

The spokesperson confirmed to AppleInsider that this is not an offer that will be appearing on Verizon's site. Instead, it will be accessible only through the My Verizon pages of eligible featurephone customers.

Meanwhile, another source has provided AppleInsider with additional materials that may reveal how Verizon will go about offering the upgrade to featurephone customers. It would appear that the carrier will give the $100 discount via a bill credit for upgrading customers, according to what looks to be a pair of internal communications documents.

verizon more

Additionally, Verizon may be offering customers upgrading from a featurephone to an iPhone 4S a $50 credit. The documents indicate that this will be a limited time offer beginning on May 15 and running through June 30, 2013. The bill credit, according to the documents, will be applied to customers' accounts within 45 days.

One document, which looks to be part of a PowerPoint presentation, notes that the offer will target 6.1 million customers. That makes up about six percent of Verizon's total customer base.

AppleInsider attempted to verify the accuracy of these documents, and a representative for the carrier was unable to do so.

On Wednesday morning, Verizon appeared to have jumped the gun on its website, posting the 16-gigabyte iPhone 5 for just $99.99 with the activation of a two-year contract. The price listing was visible for only a short time before reverting to the normal price point, but AppleInsider tipster Nicholas managed to grab a screenshot clearly showing the lower price.

AppleInsider contacted Verizon for a response, but a representative for the carrier said that it does not respond to rumors.

The iPhone 5 usually sells for $199 on Verizon with a two-year contract. Recent weeks, though, have seen rumors that the carrier was preparing to lop $100 off the cost of Apple's latest smartphone.

A $100 price point would give Verizon ? the United States' largest carrier ? the lowest-costing iPhone 5 in the nation. Sprint also offers the opportunity to get an iPhone 5 for $100, but that is only after a $100 discount for porting an existing phone number to Sprint. T-Mobile debuted the iPhone 5 last month on its network for $99, but that introductory offer has since ended, and the Apple handset now costs $149.

Verizon sold four million iPhones ? half of which were iPhone 5s ? in the most recent quarter, more than half the carrier's smartphone activations for the quarter and about one out of every nine iPhones sold worldwide. That figure was down from the holiday quarter, when Verizon sold 6.2 million iPhones, of which half were iPhone 5 units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ub52209ub52209 Posts: 17member
    The iphone was never $99 on T-Mobile...that was just the down payment...you had to pay $20
    a month for 24 months to completely pay for it. Now the down payment has risen to $149. Saying an iphone costs $149 is like saing BMW's are free when they offer $0 down financing.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mudman2mudman2 Posts: 54member
    ATT yesterday emailed offering upgrade from 4S to 5 Free if you trade in the 4S
  • Reply 3 of 17
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Does this make it $100 off all models?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Interesting that Verizon chose to carry out this promotion with iPhone 5 and not Galaxy S4.

• Reply 5 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Does this make it $100 off all models?

Looks like it's for a iPhone only.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    This is all well and good... but the primary reason people are still using featurephones are because they don't want or need to pay extra for a data plan.

It's great they're giving featurephone customers a discount on the iPhone 5.... but their monthly bill will likely double when they get a smartphone plan.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    This is all well and good... but the primary reason people are still using featurephones are because they don't want or need to pay extra for a data plan.

It's great they're giving featurephone customers a discount on the iPhone 5.... but their monthly bill will likely double when they get a smartphone plan.

We were all feature phone users once and graduated to smartphones. Obviously VZW has done it's homework and found that there's 6.1 million people that 2 years ago couldn't afford a smartphone and might need just a little help getting one now.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    We were all feature phone users once and graduated to smartphones. Obviously VZW has done it's homework and found that there's 6.1 million people that 2 years ago couldn't afford a smartphone and might need just a little help getting one now.

Oh I get it...

"Here's an iPhone for $100... now give us $100 a month for the next 2 years..."

It was never about the cost of the device itself. The issue is the increased monthly fee for a smartphone plan.

This "little help" isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Oh I get it...

"Here's an iPhone for $100... now give us $100 a month for the next 2 years..."

It was never about the cost of the device itself. The issue is the increased monthly fee for a smartphone plan.

This "little help" isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things...

Their current feature phone plan probably isn't much less than a smartphone plan. In 2 years many young adults have a nice increase in income.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So the phone's 100 up front instead of 200…

But the plan is forced $60 a month. 

There's a reason we're still featurephone customers.

• Reply 11 of 17
    Their current feature phone plan probably isn't much less than a smartphone plan. In 2 years many young adults have a nice increase in income.

Really?

The cheapest basic Verizon phone plan is $40 a month for voice only... but the cheapest smartphone plan is $40 a month for voice and $40 a month for a paltry 300MB of data. You'll probably wanna add another $10 or $20 a month to get 1GB or 2GB of data.

So that's between $80 and $100 a month for a smartphone... quite an increase over a basic phone.

My point was... whatever it is that keeps people away from smartphones... this one-time discount on the device won't do that much.

The device has always been the smallest cost in owning a smartphone... this doesn't really change that.

Although it is nice to save $100 on the current iPhone 5 (which will drop in price anyway after the iPhone 5S comes out in a few months...) this announcement isn't exactly groundbreaking.

And if young adults have an increase in income... they would be able to afford a smartphone eventually anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Really?

The cheapest basic Verizon phone plan is $40 a month for voice only... but the cheapest smartphone plan is $40 a month for voice and $40 a month for a paltry 300MB of data. You'll probably wanna add another $10 or $20 a month to get 1GB or 2GB of data.

So that's between $80 and $100 a month for a smartphone... quite an increase over a basic phone.

My point was... whatever it is that keeps people away from smartphones... this one-time discount on the device won't do that much.

The device has always been the smallest cost in owning a smartphone... this doesn't really change that.

Although it is nice to save $100 on the current iPhone 5 (which will drop in price anyway after the iPhone 5S comes out in a few months...) this announcement isn't exactly groundbreaking.

And if young adults have an increase in income... they would be able to afford a smartphone eventually anyway.

That's now. What was it 2 years ago?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    That's now. What was it 2 years ago?

Back then Verizon voice plans started at $40 a month for a basic phone... and smartphones users had to pay an additional $30 a month for a data plan.

Now it's the same $40 for voice for a basic phone... but smartphone users have to pay at least $40 for data (though you'll likely spend $50 or $60 a month for a usable amount of data). Prices went up.

My points all along were:
    • Smartphones cost more to use than featurephones... which is why there are still people who stick with featurephones
    • A discount on the device is nothing compared to the increase you'll be paying over 24 months for a smartphone data plan
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Back then Verizon voice plans started at $40 a month for a basic phone... and smartphones users had to pay an additional $30 a month for a data plan.

Now it's the same $40 for voice for a basic phone... but smartphone users have to pay at least $40 for data (though you'll likely spend $50 or $60 a month for a usable amount of data). Prices went up.

My points all along were:
    • Smartphones cost more to use than featurephones... which is why there are still people who stick with featurephones
    • A discount on the device is nothing compared to the increase you'll be paying over 24 months for a smartphone data plan

Well as a VZW customer I can tell that my 2 smartphone plan now is more or less the same price as a 2 feature phone plan of a few years ago.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Well as a VZW customer I can tell that my 2 smartphone plan now is more or less the same price as a 2 feature phone plan of a few years ago.

Yeah... I'm a single user... so that's what I was basing the prices on. When you have 2 or more devices... the price becomes a little more manageable.

Right now my VZW iPhone bill is roughly $88 a month for 450 minutes, unlimited data, and 500 texts. I've had that plan for years... dating back to my old Blackberry.

No one in their right mind would pay $88 a month for a single flip-phone though ;)

I am kinda worried what will happen when I get the iPhone 5S later this year... Verizon's new plans scare me!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Yeah... I'm a single user... so that's what I was basing the prices on. When you have 2 or more devices... the price becomes a little more manageable.

Right now my VZW iPhone bill is roughly $88 a month for 450 minutes, unlimited data, and 500 texts. I've had that plan for years... dating back to my old Blackberry.

No one in their right mind would pay $88 a month for a single flip-phone though ;)

I am kinda worried what will happen when I get the iPhone 5S later this year... Verizon's new plans scare me!

I'm on a old unlimited plan so for now it's full retail for me from now on.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I'm on a old unlimited plan so for now it's full retail for me from now on.

Hmmmm... that might be the way to go!