Revamped, cross-platform Google Hangouts app competes with Apple's iMessages, FaceTime [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A better name would be Google Messages
  • Reply 22 of 63
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why are you here exactly? Nothing worse than a concern troll. image

I own a ton of stock and am unhappy.

As I predicted awhile back, Google just surpassed the value of Apple for first time since iPhone was released in 2007. Nice job Tim Cook!

• Reply 23 of 63
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    Google is so far ahead of Apple in software that it is embarrassing.  Literally seems like varsity team (GOOG) playing versus the jv team (Apple).  

What exactly are Apple software engineers doing these days?  

Far ahead in what sense?
  • Reply 24 of 63
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Apple can kick google in the nuts here by following through with their promise to open FaceTime for standards based interop. Google could do the same, but Apple's client calling standards based solutions will give the, a long term lock and they won't have to put out a client for another OS.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I just took a look at their Hangouts page to check how they are dealing with video in the Chrome browser for the desktop. I couldn't find any information on how the browser accesses the camera. Skype and Flash both give you settings for the user to allow the app to access the camera, but does Chrome? I could not find anything in the preferences.

You would think that OS X would force the browser to alert the user if the web page wanted access to the camera.

• Reply 26 of 63
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    ireland wrote: »

Agree
  • Reply 27 of 63
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

This seems sad but true.

I sold my iPad 3 to buy a Nexus 7 (for the smaller size) a few months before the mini came out.  One thing I've noticed with a fair number of games, on iOS they are $0.99, and free on Android (ad-sponsored).  I wonder if this has anything to do with friends that do have an android device are much more likely to have rooted it and pirate most, if not all their apps.

As someone who's more interested in drawing and making music, Android is a poor platform as quality apps are impossible to find.  I'm going to wait for the new A7 iPads to come out and switch back immediately.

If you really want to draw on a tablet get a windows 8 Dell or Lenovo tablet and use ArtRage studio Pro with their built in Wacom Digitizer pen (the Lenovo comes with it the - Dell is 39 extra) and you better off.

We have the Lenovo ThinkPad 2 at work ( windows 8 + Wacom + ArtRage) and I cant remember the last time I drew on my iPad setup  (iPad + Artrage + JotTouch)

• Reply 28 of 63

I dont know how much traction it will gain, I don't use Facebook Messenger much, even though it looks pretty.  It's another app I have to use separately.  iMessage is integrated into the SMS interface and almost everyone I know has an iDevice and for those who do not I can use the same app to message them anyway. I don't pay for SMS irregardless.  It may have interesting features but it is not going to kill off iMessage anytime soon. 

• Reply 29 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

If you really want to draw on a tablet get a windows 8 Dell or Lenovo tablet and use ArtRage studio Pro with their built in Wacom Digitizer pen (the Lenovo comes with it the - Dell is 39 extra) and you better off.

We have the Lenovo ThinkPad 2 at work ( windows 8 + Wacom + ArtRage) and I cant remember the last time I drew on my iPad setup  (iPad + Artrage + JotTouch)

I use ArtRage Pro and PaintTool SAI on my Windows box.  The problem is I don't want the weight of a laptop.  I had a Galaxy Note 10.1, but as I said, drawing apps for Android are crap, and a mobile version of ArtRage is only available for iOS.  Not to mention that Samsung Note flexed and felt like the plastic piece of junk it was (though it had a pressure sensitive S-Pen, which was laughably too short for serious work).  The time I've spent with Microsoft Surface didn't make me inclined to purchase that either.

• Reply 30 of 63
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Sounds like competition with MS Skype as well on iOS.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    I dont know how much traction it will gain, I don't use Facebook Messenger much, even though it looks pretty.  It's another app I have to use separately.  iMessage is integrated into the SMS interface and almost everyone I know has an iDevice and for those who do not I can use the same app to message them anyway. I don't pay for SMS irregardless.  It may have interesting features but it is not going to kill off iMessage anytime soon. 

And then there's a rest of the world. Apple should make iMessage cross platform. iOS users would benefit.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Apple must go all in and attack search and online advertising in a huge way. Go for the soft underbelly, Apple!

• Reply 33 of 63

I agree

• Reply 34 of 63
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple must go all in and attack search and online advertising in a huge way. Go for the soft underbelly, Apple!

This, totally.

• Reply 35 of 63
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    addicted44 wrote: »
    OTOH, by providing a cross platform Hangout service, it will be very easy for Google to sweep in and take leadership in this role.

I don't see it, for one reason:
  • Reply 36 of 63
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This. I can honestly browse webpages faster on my ancient ORIGINAL iphone, than the Galaxy S3. Stuff like transitions happening in sequence, rather than simultaneously, make the S3 seem slower even if an exact stopwatch time test might show it to be marginally faster.

Apple has done a fantastic job with iOS. Androids are trying to compensate with throwing bigger hardware at the problem.

OTOH, where Apple fails is:

1) Building online services. iCloud is much better than its previous iterations, and in a world without Google, would be considered best of breed. However, Google does exist, and their online services are better.

2) Platforms (not OSes). Apple's desire to limit its platforms to Apple devices severely limit their success. iMessage would have been the runaway leader in messaging if Apple had expanded it to Android/WP7/etc. OTOH, by providing a cross platform Hangout service, it will be very easy for Google to sweep in and take leadership in this role.

iTools was free and rocked. Moreover, it had iDisk, free email, and fun things like iCards. iCloud is nice, but not as fun as Apple's original iTools. I also don't see a need for cross platform messaging. iMessage sends text to non-apple phones. Where cross patform would be nice is with facetime. 

• Reply 37 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    I own a ton of stock and am unhappy.

As I predicted awhile back, Google just surpassed the value of Apple for first time since iPhone was released in 2007. Nice job Tim Cook!

Apple has market cap of 402 billion. Google has 300 billion.
    ireland wrote: »

gMessage.

Count me out. I dont want google searching my messages and videos to extract info.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tbell wrote: »
    I also don't see a need for cross platform messaging.

I do, which is why I use email.

jungmark wrote: »
    Apple has market cap of 402 billion. Google has 300 billion.

No idea why they let blatant trolls say on the forum.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Trying to take iChat for smartphones huh? Apple found better ways 3 years ago.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    huffcwhuffcw Posts: 53member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I also don't see a need for cross platform messaging. iMessage sends text to non-apple phones.  

Not if you are on an iPad. It would be great to have cross platform - or as an alternative free integrated SMS through the web (like Google provides for free with Google Voice) - on iPad.