Reworked Google Maps for iOS, Android gains better search, tablet compatibility

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In the midst of its Google I/O developer conference, the search giant showed off a redesigned version of its popular mapping app, one that will heighten the competition for Maps supremacy on Apple's iOS mobile platform.

maps

The new Google Maps features a number of user interface design, resulting in a cleaner look to the app, which is visible not only in the mobile versions, but also on the desktop version. Google also leveraged its acquisition of the Zagat rating service in order to integrate ratings into the Maps experience. Maps now has a five-point rating system instead of the previous four-point system.

The new Maps also features improved live incident coverage for traffic and transit. The app will continually update in order to show users traffic incidents, suggesting alternate routes as conditions shift in real-time.

Google also announced a new, tablet-centric build of its Maps app. That version will give larger, rich content with suggestions on activities in a specific area, as well as a user interface that takes advantage of the increased screen real estate available on tablets.

The iOS version of the new Google Maps will mark a continuation of the competition between Apple and Google in the location services segment.

After Apple dropped Google Maps as the default option in its iOS, the Cupertino company launched its own app integrating the features Google had been holding back on. The new app, though, lacked much of the polish and detail that had made Google Maps the leader in its segment, and ? despite Apple's continuing efforts to improve the quality and accuracy of its app ? it was plagued by complaints.

The Google rep on stage nodded to Apple's struggles in the maps arena, drawing a laugh from the crowd when he noted that Google's maps were "above all: accurate."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    When and where to we get this to try it?
  • Reply 2 of 60
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Hey look. It's Apple Maps with more detail.

Google steals again.

• Reply 3 of 60
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    So now that Cook & Co tipped its strategy that there "is no there, there" until an unspecified date in Q3, Google has decided to bend Apple over and uh -- oh, you get the picture. A few Google blurbs and AAPL drops 10% in 2 days in a up market... A great CEO Tim Cook surely isn't!
  • Reply 4 of 60
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    I was amazed recently when checking my ipod touch apple maps to see if it had perchance kept in memory the local area, that not only did it have the maps but it was also tracking my progress as I was walking in the street as if it was a gps. I was not connected to any wi fi and the tracking was perfectly accurate. How it does this I do not know.

Google maps were blank. Not only that but when I have compared the two products side by side the Apple maps are more elegant, easier to read and they have better and more accurate searching in my limited experience.

I have no doubt that Apple are heading in a good direction. At the moment it is the visual appeal of the Apple maps that makes me use them over Google.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Google steals again.

Ugh, so defensive....

• Reply 6 of 60
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Newsflash: Google Maps are NOT always "accurate" sir. Geeze. It's one thing to tout your improvements, it's another thing to start spouting exaggerated kool-aid everywhere.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,567member
    analogjack wrote: »
    I was amazed recently when checking my ipod touch apple maps to see if it had perchance kept in memory the local area, that not only did it have the maps but it was also tracking my progress as I was walking in the street as if it was a gps. I was not connected to any wi fi and the tracking was perfectly accurate. How it does this I do not know.

Google maps were blank. Not only that but when I have compared the two products side by side the Apple maps are more elegant, easier to read and they have better and more accurate searching in my limited experience.

I have no doubt that Apple are heading in a good direction. At the moment it is the visual appeal of the Apple maps that makes me use them over Google.

Apple maps is great until you look for a POI such as a post office or a local take away.

It's at that point that you realise that for getting from A - B when you can supply the postcode it's great, for anything else it's shite.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

No thanks. I'm just fine. Maybe somebody else?

...drawing a laugh from the crowd when he noted that Google's maps were "above all: accurate."

Well, that would make me laugh too.  

• Reply 9 of 60
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    applezilla wrote: »

Google steals again.

So you're saying Google Maps are better but they stole from Apple? I don't follow the logic.

I use both Google and Apple maps, there are things I like about either one. Competition is great for consumers.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mj web wrote: »
    So now that Cook & Co tipped its strategy that there "is no there, there" until an unspecified date in Q3, Google has decided to bend Apple over and uh -- oh, you get the picture. A few Google blurbs and AAPL drops 10% in 2 days in a up market... A great CEO Tim Cook surely isn't!
    Doesn't take much these days for AAPL to drop. Google's the Wall Street darling right now. They'll come back to earth eventually too.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Google steals again.

No it's not.  It's accurate.

• Reply 12 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

So you're saying Google Maps are better but they stole from Apple? I don't follow the logic.

I use both Google and Apple maps, there are things I like about either one. Competition is great for consumers.

Don't worry allenbf, just another Apple apologist. 

• Reply 13 of 60
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    just_me wrote: »
    applezilla wrote: »

Google steals again.
    No it's not.  It's accurate.

Yeah, and Beef Jerky is a game that you can play with yourself!
  • Reply 14 of 60
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Doesn't take much these days for AAPL to drop. Google's the Wall Street darling right now. They'll come back to earth eventually too.

Buying opportunities.  Isnt Apple great!!

• Reply 15 of 60
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

At least Tim Cook can write a legible statement.  

What ever you are trying to say here with all the combating cliches, rude remarks and mixed metaphors it certainly didn't come across.  

No idea what you're talking about.  

• Reply 16 of 60
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

It might be too early to tell, but I think the poster was implying (based on the artwork accompanying the article), that Google has stolen Apple's "look" for it's map product.  

I tend to agree, but AppleInsider is notorious for bad and ripped off artwork or putting pictures in stories that are barely relevant to the topic or imply something about the article that's not in evidence etc.

• Reply 17 of 60
    dcorby23dcorby23 Posts: 9member
    google maps accurate? maybe in united states, united kingdom and few more countries. don't try to depend on it elsewhere.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let's face it, Google still makes a more complete mapping solution. They'll continue to get better even as Apple's maps continue to get better.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    oscargoscarg Posts: 26member
    Did they add the missing common-sense features that are inexplicably missing from the current mobile Google maps app?

1. Remember previous searches.
    2. Remember interface settings. For example: I want NORTH UP. ALWAYS. STOP RESETTING IT.
  • Reply 20 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let's face it, Google still makes a more complete mapping solution. They'll continue to get better even as Apple's maps continue to get better.

Thank you. Glad to see not everyone's egos are too big here to admit that. Apple is still better at just about everything else.