Apple TV to get CW content in new streaming deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Aereo would be significant, but I doubt it given how they're in litigation with Apple's vendors.

Not only that, Aereo limits local programming to people who live in that area only. It's not portable. As far as I know, one cannot stream and watch New York City content in Nebraska.

• Reply 22 of 43
    wisdomseedwisdomseed Posts: 141member
    Well, its got to start somewhere.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain they are well aware of the viewing habits of sports fans. :D

I'm sure YES does and they'd be happy to take my $120 vs the small slice they get from MLB.tv. Any Stros fans not in a Co(cks) cable area care to chime in?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Having CW content for streaming on Apple TV is one thing. Having it for HOW LONG is something else entirely.

I just hope they don't post them episodes the Hulu way where they're only available for streaming for a few weeks, and then gone forever.

The devil's in the details. As usual.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Yawp. Expecting all of Disney's content soon.

I doubt it. Netflix paid a crap load of money for the rights. 

• Reply 26 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Rome wasn't built overnight. CW is a great start.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macasaurus View Post

really, the CW?? that's like saying apple tv got streaming rights to all the minor league teams.

People said the same thing about Cingular when they trusted Apple to control Applications on the iPhone.

Well, the rest is history.

To hell with Cable authentication.  

Any network that insist on forming syndicates with cable companies to shove unwanted garbage down customer's throat will get dumped.

• Reply 28 of 43
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    macasaurus wrote: »
    really, the CW?? that's like saying apple tv got streaming rights to all the minor league teams.

Very soon the major league will join in because they are missing out on all the revenues this small fry is making.

Just a small hole in the wall before the flood.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryaaron View Post

Super excited!

Only thing is the pricing of the service. I'm afraid Apple may not be interested in losing exiting iTunes revenue, I sincerely hope they don't try to pull off a pay per show/season.

It's an ad-supported service. Perhaps using (targeted?) ads to monetize mobile content in iOS isn't so distasteful after all. 

• Reply 30 of 43
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    @Macasaurus: "really, the CW?? that's like saying apple tv got streaming rights to all the minor league teams.""

Said like a room full of old folks. From 90210 & ANTM to The Vampire Diaries, kids love CW. Heck, even I watch Arrow--which was suprisingly good.

Good move IMO.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    You're being generous. That's like saying Apple got streaming rights to Kalamazoo, Michigan's tee-ball league.

I wish I understood all these American sports analogies but I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you are not being complimentary? The equivalent of supporting Sunderland F.C. or Hartlepool F.C. in my day in the UK maybe? :no: If so i have to at least defend Nakita ... which I discovered on Netflix. :D
  • Reply 32 of 43
    adamc wrote: »
    Very soon the major league will join in because they are missing out on all the revenues this small fry is making.

Just a small hole in the wall before the flood.

Oh boy ... and that is the truth. The thumb just got pulled out of the dike (please note the spelling).
  • Reply 33 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I look forward to big changes with Apple TV this year.

I had expected they'd do something with Apple TV earlier in the year to get round the lack of other updates. It doesn't really depend much on 3rd party suppliers like the other hardware. The mobile iOS devices depend on the mobile GPU manufacturers and the quad-core PowerVR will launch later in the year, the Macs depend on Intel's release schedule. The Apple TV uses existing mobile hardware and cuts it down as much as possible to save power so there should be nothing holding them back from hardware or software improvements.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I look forward to big changes with Apple TV this year.

Indeed. As soon as the TV app store is launch, imo all the ipads TV apps will be ported pretty fast. Negociation over ads will be the only thing keeping them to go live after that.

• Reply 35 of 43
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I had expected they'd do something with Apple TV earlier in the year to get round the lack of other updates. It doesn't really depend much on 3rd party suppliers like the other hardware. The mobile iOS devices depend on the mobile GPU manufacturers and the quad-core PowerVR will launch later in the year, the Macs depend on Intel's release schedule. The Apple TV uses existing mobile hardware and cuts it down as much as possible to save power so there should be nothing holding them back from hardware or software improvements.

imo a real A5, more memory and more SSD is all it takes for the low end box.  Hopefully we get the A5X and 16g SSD for a low end streaming/gaming box. IF they can pull this off at $99 its going to sell like hot cupcakes. What I would do is also offer 32g,64g models to finance the low price model, pretty much like they do with ipads/iphones.

• Reply 36 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wish I understood all these American sports analogies but I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you are not being complimentary? The equivalent of supporting Sunderland F.C. or Hartlepool F.C. in my day in the UK maybe? :no: If so i have to at least defend Nakita ... which I discovered on Netflix. :D

Tee-ball is a version of baseball for very young players, I think usually under 10yo. The ball isn't pitched to to them, it's placed on a tee and the child hits it from there. I think the reasoning is 3 fold: 1) other children can't pitch the ball far or accurate enough to give the hitter a reasonable chance of hitting the ball, 2) the stationary ball allows for more chances for a ball to be in play, and 3) if a larger child is pitching against a much smaller one would be much less chance of hurting the child at bat.

Marvin wrote: »

I'm not liking this once year a dump of products all around the same time. I'm hoping it's not Cook's intention but rather just circumstances of Apple building up for something revolutionary before the staggered release schedules can get back on track.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Apple announcing a content provider shouldn't even be an announcement. I have an AppleTV and a Roku. On the Roku I just go to the channel store and add the channel. No big deal.

Apple has a brewing problem in that Amazon Prime is working very hard to become a competitor Netflix. Netflix is on AppleTV but I doubt Amazon Prime Streaming content will ever be allowed on given the current mindset. Could you imagine how much less useful AppleTV would be without YouTube or Netflix? Apple needs to resolve this growing problem.

• Reply 38 of 43
    Oh boy ... and that is the truth. The thumb just got pulled out of the dike (please note the spelling).

Tee-ball is a version of baseball for very young players, I think usually under 10yo. The ball isn't pitched to to them, it's placed on a tee and the child hits it from there. I think the reasoning is 3 fold: 1) other children can't pitch the ball far or accurate enough to give the hitter a reasonable chance of hitting the ball, 2) the stationary ball allows for more chances for a ball to be in play, and 3) if a larger child is pitching against a much smaller one would be much less chance of hurting the child at bat.

Noted. Thanks. Never heard of it before but I still like Nakita. ;) But I now get the analogy, I am a kid for liking it. :D
  • Reply 39 of 43
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    christophb wrote: »
    I pay $120 and change each year to watch one MLB team. When will they figure out I don't care so much about the others and just let me pay to stream YES and My9? I'm already paying so ill probably pay again, and again, and again and n, and n+1, ...........

My problem is the blackout restrictions on all local teams. FSSW has the Texas rangers rights- so MLB can only air outside of where FSSW broadcasts. The same thing with every other local team in MLB, NBA, or NHL. So unless you less away from Houston- you can't watch the Astros regardless. Hate it.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's an ad-supported service. Perhaps using (targeted?) ads to monetize mobile content in iOS isn't so distasteful after all. 
    Relieved to hear…