US Air Force expects to save $50M with use of 18K Apple iPads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're on the right track but you're starting to over think it. Just use standard values for H2O and FE.

Oh and by the way I know that captain and he was crazy before the mosquito bit him.

• Reply 22 of 37
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

There is a barge in the Panama canal with 5 tonnes of iron ore on deck. The locks are closed with no additional water getting in or out. The barge captain having been bit by a mosquito goes crazy and decides to dump the 5 tonnes of ore overboard. What happens to the level of the water? Does it go up, down or stay exact the same, and why?

"Global Warming"

Cheers

• Reply 23 of 37

Quote:

There is a barge in the Panama canal with 5 tonnes of iron ore on deck. The locks are closed with no additional water getting in or out. The barge captain having been bit by a mosquito goes crazy and decides to dump the 5 tonnes of ore overboard. What happens to the level of the water? Does it go up, down or stay exact the same, and why?

"Eureka!" as Archimedes would say. mstone is thinking too hard on this one. 

Anyways, who know buying "toys" would save so much money. 

• Reply 24 of 37
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I'm sorry but I really don't think 50lbs will save 750,000$ per year in fuel costs. That's like saying me carrying an apple in my car will cost me 50$ a year more in gas (the math is not accurate but my point is made)

Well, let's see.  Roughly... for a thousand mile flight, a jet (like a 737) would burn an extra pound of fuel for every extra nine pounds of cargo.  So ten pounds fuel would be saved by leaving out a 90 pound pile of paper.   

Ten pounds is about 1-1/2 gallons of jet fuel.   Jet-A averages $5.50 a gallon, so that's about $8 per flight.  Doesn't sound like much, but the key is the number of aircraft and flights.

The USAF has about 800 cargo aircraft.  If each flies say, one flight a week with two x one thousand mile hops (go somewhere and back again), that's ~83,000 hops x $8 = $665,000 saved per year.

It adds up because of the number of flights, which is why the savings is even greater for the larger airlines.

Of course, one wag pointed out that if you could just get every passenger to urinate before flight (removing at least a few dozen pounds of extra weight), airlines could save even more.

• Reply 25 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

You think I wasn't aware of Archimedes Principle? If I take a piss while floating in a pool does it raise the water level or just the level of contamination?

But back on track I was reading that a 747 uses 15-20% less fuel for a trans pacific flight when empty compared to being full of passengers and cargo.

• Reply 26 of 37
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Displacement is key to solving it but you haven't stated an answer or why. What I think if your implied answer is incorrect.
  • Reply 27 of 37

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Displacement is key to solving it but you haven't stated an answer or why. What I think if your implied answer is incorrect.

By the way there are no barge captains in the Panama Canal except for dredging barges. All commodity barges are towed by tug. 

I am interested where you got you first concept of this puzzle though. I do know a lot of Panama Canal pilots and tug crew members so I would like to pass this along once we decide what the answer is.

• Reply 28 of 37
    mstone wrote: »
    By the way there are no barge captains in the Panama Canal except for dredging barges. All commodity barges are towed by tug. 
    I am interested where you got you first concept of this puzzle though. I do know a lot of Panama Canal pilots and tug crew members so I would like to pass this along once we decide what the answer is.

I also doubt one could go crazy by a mosquito bite that created this premise. The canal is just a convenient way to state that the volume of water is fixed.
  • Reply 29 of 37

Quote:

I also doubt one could go crazy by a mosquito bite that created this premise. The canal is just a convenient way to state that the volume of water is fixed.

Ha Ha you know those locks leak like crazy.

• Reply 30 of 37
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

The water level goes down, because for same volume of water and iron ore, the iron weighs more.

Inside the boat, the ore displaces its weight in water.

Dumped into the lock, the ore only displaces its volume in water.

• Reply 31 of 37
    Ha Ha you know those locks leak like crazy.

Oh yeah! I've been through the canal (East to West) specifically so I could look at the engineering marvel it is.
  • Reply 32 of 37

Quote:

Oh yeah! I've been through the canal (East to West) specifically so I could look at the engineering marvel it is.

You probably mean north to south because there is no east to west in the Panama Canal unless you want to spilt hairs

• Reply 33 of 37
    You probably mean north to south because there is no east to west in the Panama Canal

I mean I started in the Atlantic side and existed on the Pacific side. Saying N to S or NW to SE just seems more complicated but I see your point regarding the actual path when you only consider the channel through Panama and not general direction of travel.
  • Reply 34 of 37

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You probably mean north to south because there is no east to west in the Panama Canal

I mean I started in the Atlantic side and existed on the Pacific side. Saying N to S or NW to SE just seems more complicated but I see your point regarding the actual path when you only consider the channel through Panama and not general direction of travel.

I have many stories to tell about Panama. For example I remember when an aircraft carrier was transiting the canal and I was on an observation platform at Pedro Miguel when it was discovered only moments before impact the the stand was going to be demolished by the overhanging wing design of the ship. Many other stories of ships scraping the sides of the locks as a calculated expense because they were a bit too large among many other incidents. 

• Reply 35 of 37
    I have many stories to tell about Panama. For example I remember when an aircraft carrier was transiting the canal and I was on an observation platform at Pedro Miguel when it was discovered only moments before impact the the stand was going to be demolished by the overhanging wing design of the ship. Many other stories of ships scraping the sides of the locks as a calculate expense because they were a bit too large among many other incidents. 

Less than two years until the expansion is complete but with the ice caps melting the Northern passage may actually be more economical, from what I've read.

PS: For anyone that hasn't seen it I highly recommend NOVA's A Man, a Plan, a Canal - Panama (2004).
  • Reply 36 of 37
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It would remain the same would it not? The barge was originally loaded, causing more water to be displaced due to the added weight. Now, with the weight gone, the boat is lighter, causing less displacement, but the ore is now submerged in the water. This equals out.
    Similar to if I was floating in the water holding a rock. Our combined weight would displace the water more than just my normal body weight would. If i drop the rock and it sinks, I become lighter ( displacing less water) but the rock now displaces some on its own so the water level remains unchanged
  • Reply 37 of 37
    timbit wrote: »
    It would remain the same would it not?

See KDarling's comment.