Apple's retail stores now earn record $58 per visitor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jungmark wrote: »

A store like Apple will always have security cams. In addition, they probably have entrance lasers. If they dont have the latter, My theory is they take hourly photos and count.

Photos not allowed, also not by their employees, nor the Store itself.

My guess is the security, nope, employees at the door with their iPads under their arm. At least, that's what I see at the Store in Amsterdam.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Call me foolish but no body in their right mind would stop into an Apple store unless they intended to buy something. Lets face it the crowds and the stupid effort to find somebody to pay for your new junk means you have to be motivated in the first place to step into an Apple store.

Hopefully when retail gets the new boss he will bring back a time tested feature. That's right the cash register and checkout counter.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member

Okay. You're foolish.

• Reply 24 of 33
    elmobiuselmobius Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Just to be doubly picky, it's likely $58 revenue per visitor, not customer. Not all visitors are customers, of course, but that number is pretty simply derived, and is something you could do yourself in a minute. Simply decide the revenue by the number of visitors and you get the results. Because those numbers are rounded off, it doesn't exactly equal the official dollar amount, but it's close enough. Apple states the number of visitors to its stores, and you shouldn't assume they can't have a count somehow. They don't need someone standing by the door, clicking a counter.

When even a Lightning cable costs you ~$20, $58 doesn't seem that far off. Although I'm sure it takes into account visitors for repairs as well.

• Reply 25 of 33

You have to believe Apple is counting the number of people coming into the store in some fashion.  There are many ways to do it.  Is it 100% accurate?  Of course not.  Is one person leaving and entering the store counted multiple times?  On many occasions, yes.

Larger stores, such as WalMart deploy systems that track individual MOVEMENT in a store.  Their computers can track which route you take and where you stop, and for how long.  It's quite impressive technology.

I've demoed software in my store that can use just a single camera pointed at the door and do facial recognition to count the people coming into the store.  The cost for this is quite minimal.

There's also a system now that will track WIFI connection attempts.  Got your phone in your pocket with WIFI turned on?  Yep, it'll log that attempt and track how long you were in the store.

Retail is HUGE on measuring any and everything associated with customer behaviors.  Stuff is placed where it is because of some measured performance, not just 'because'

• Reply 26 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,109member

Why are people being so picky about "customer" vs. "visitor"??  Lighten-up people!

If one hundred people "walk" into a store, and and the store made $10,000 that day, it's $100/person.  Who cares that if only 10 of those people were the ones that bought something?  It's just simple averaging, nothing more.  Jeez!

• Reply 27 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Call me foolish but no body in their right mind would stop into an Apple store unless they intended to buy something. Lets face it the crowds and the stupid effort to find somebody to pay for your new junk means you have to be motivated in the first place to step into an Apple store.

Hopefully when retail gets the new boss he will bring back a time tested feature. That's right the cash register and checkout counter.

Not true. Some folks may want to check out the iDevices or check their email or dream of getting an iMac if he has the money.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not true. Some folks may want to check out the iDevices or check their email or dream of getting an iMac if he has the money.

Indeed. There are folks going for their one-on-one training, to have something fixed or just to browse. Crowds tend to attract more people.

• Reply 29 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

My guess is the security, nope, employees at the door with their iPads under their arm. At least, that's what I see at the Store in Amsterdam.

Photos are not allowed? Why not? After all, security videos, which are definitely allowed, are really a sequence of photos.

• Reply 30 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Considering that every time I walk by or go into an Apple store it's overflowing with people, that's impressive.

Not just overflowing, but literally stinking of people. Many Apple stores smell like locker rooms at a gym. Apple needs to work on iFreshener.

• Reply 31 of 33
    philboogie wrote: »

Photos are not allowed? Why not? After all, security videos, which are definitely allowed, are really a sequence of photos.

I walked in with my DSLR and asked if it was ok to take pictures. They said no, I said I wanted to photograph the building, the roof. They said no. Maybe it's okay if you don't ask and take out your iPhone, I dunno.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I walked in with my DSLR and asked if it was ok to take pictures. They said no, I said I wanted to photograph the building, the roof. They said no. Maybe it's okay if you don't ask and take out your iPhone, I dunno.

There's a diff. Are you an employee? It is private property, so they can tell non employees not to take pictures.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    jungmark wrote: »

There's a diff. Are you an employee? It is private property, so they can tell non employees not to take pictures.

No, a customer. And yes, it might be ok for employees, but I think there might be a privacy issue about taking pictures of the visitors / customers.