Apple CEO Tim Cook says America's IP environment needs more work

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no idea what your reply has to do with mine. Mine is a direct reply to the word smug with the South Park snapshot from Smug Alert. Even TS's comment is about him looking smug. I'm pretty sure both Democrats and Republicans are capable of looking smug.

Oh, South Park, that answers it clearly then... 

I'm sure both are smug, but then why not just point to politicians rather than to Bush? Again, the fact that someone points to a Democrat and calls out a Republican's smugness is odd at best. You saying Thanks was indication that you agreed, therefore my reply. 

• Reply 22 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I dunno, why did you make such a stupid comment then? 
    It only matters in the fact that you tried to associate Bush with smugness by pointing to a Democrat. Why did you not just say political smugness? 
    I was not trying to discern, but rather you made the reference to Bush rather than politicians in general. You called yourself out on that one. 

He made a reference to a person which I took to refer to physical characteristics that make each look smug. I don't see how you've conceived this notion that either Republicans or Democrats can look smug but not people from both parties. I don't see how or why you'd even try to make this partisan.

Do you honestly think when people draw a comparison to Senator Mitch McConnell looking like Droopy dog that they are suggesting that Droopy Dog must be a Republican in order to make the visual comparison, they are against Republicans, or against people from Kentucky seeing similarities? Do you think if he was a Democrat that comparison wouldn't have been made?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

It only matters in the fact that you tried to associate Bush with smugness by pointing to a Democrat. Why did you not just say political smugness? So it is a bit funny you were trying to make a point against Bush and him being smug while pointing to a Democrat. Typical Liberal.  

I was not trying to discern, but rather you made the reference to Bush rather than politicians in general. You called yourself out on that one. 

Have you honestly never heard the phrase "bush league" in your entire life, or are you just putting me on?

Were I referencing President Bush, I would have capitalized the word, anyway.

• Reply 24 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Have you honestly never heard the phrase "bush league" in your entire life, or are you just putting me on?

Were I referencing President Bush, I would have capitalized the word, anyway.

Nope, had to look it up. Sports, not into it, sorry. 

If that was the case, I apologize

• Reply 25 of 57

Quote:

He made a reference to a person which I took to refer to physical characteristics that make each look smug. I don't see how you've conceived this notion that either Republicans or Democrats can look smug but not people from both parties. I don't see how or why you'd even try to make this partisan.

Do you honestly think when people draw a comparison to Senator Mitch McConnell looking like Droopy dog that they are suggesting that Droopy Dog must be a Republican in order to make the visual comparison, they are against Republicans, or against people from Kentucky seeing similarities? Do you think if he was a Democrat that comparison wouldn't have been made?

LOL hardly, but when you call out Mitch looking droopy then you called out Mitch, not someone else. To point to one person and to call out another is suggesting that the second person is they one the derogatory comment is being made towards. So if he said that is Carl smugness then your argument would have merit. 

• Reply 26 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I dunno, why did you make such a stupid comment then? 
    It only matters in the fact that you tried to associate Bush with smugness by pointing to a Democrat. Why did you not just say political smugness? So it is a bit funny you were trying to make a point against Bush and him being smug while pointing to a Democrat. Typical Liberal.  

He wrote bush league not Bush league. Big difference.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

- These Senators are not 'anti corporate', but merely posturing to get corporate taxes lowered from 35% (which none of them pay) down to nothing. Stick us with the bills for the infrastructure that makes their profits possible.

So you assume that the vague "infrastructure" to which you refer can only be paid for through taxes?

You also assume that businesses customers are not the ones who really pay the corporate income taxes?

Quote:

- Rand Paul is merely railing against taxes in general... the king of the 'Free Lunch Republicans'. He wants no infrastructure investments, no taxes, no safety net, just Somalia.

The Somalia reference is straight from the anti-libertarian talking points. It is also ill-informed.

Again, though, I ask: You assume that the vague "infrastructure" (and "safety net") to which you refer can only be provided and paid for through taxes?

Quote:

He's a truly dispicable excuse for a human being.

Why is that?

• Reply 28 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Nope, had to look it up. Sports, not into it, sorry. 

No worries; neither am I.

• Reply 29 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    LOL hardly, but when you call out Mitch looking droopy then you called out Mitch, not someone else. To point to one person and to call out another is suggesting that the second person is they one the derogatory comment is being made towards. So if he said that is Carl smugness then your argument would have merit. 

Even if he was referring to George W Bush he's still comparing to ONE person. ONE! No where did he mention the GOP, Republicans, or any other party. You grossly misinterpreted his comment and intent and then reacted poorly to it. Admit you you wrong or just go away, either way you've lost here. THAAAAAAAANKS!!!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

He wrote bush league not Bush league. Big difference.

Yep, and I apologized for jumping. I did not know the reference "bush league". 

• Reply 31 of 57

Quote:

Even if he was referring to George W Bush he's still comparing to ONE person. ONE! No where did he mention the GOP, Republicans, or any other party. You grossly misinterpreted his comment and intent and then reacted poorly to it. Admit you you wrong or just go away, either way you've lost here. THAAAAAAAANKS!!!!!!

Hello! I did apologize to Tallest for jumping. 

• Reply 32 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yep, and I apologized for jumping. I did not know the reference "bush league". 

Yea I saw that after I posted. Btw whenever I hear 'bush' the ex President is the last thing I think of. ;)
  • Reply 33 of 57
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Mr. Cook hit the right notes in a civilized manner. He sent a message to Samsung and all the other copycats.

• Reply 34 of 57
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the smarmiest frownsmile yet! That's the frownsmile of a man who knows he's absolutely in the right.

Do you know the meaning of the word smarmy? Is that really what you meant?

• Reply 35 of 57
    notownnotown Posts: 39member
    I'm not all that familiar with tax code in general or patent law and Intellectual Property, but it sounded as if Levin's argument at the end was that Apple is escaping taxes from the profits of IP they sold from Apple inc., to the Irish subsidiary(ies). Based on the hearing and a report airing on NPR's ATC, there was not much of a clear distinguishing of what the shifting of IP overseas actually meant. All Things Considered made it sound like Apple was sheltering their domestic profits overseas. Cook and the rest of them were rather clear that all income from domestic sales are fully taxed in the US. Am I correct in understanding that the REAL CRUX OF THE ISSUE is that the profits from royalties and other licensing of the IP (researched and developed in the US) is being collected and taxed in Ireland at 2% and not brout back to the US?
  • Reply 36 of 57

Levin has an ass-face.

• Reply 37 of 57
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Don't worry, the world economy is going to soon sputter when the natural resources which are non re-knew able and commercialized become economically impractical to drill or mine. Then those billions, no, trillions stashed overseas will get jacked by governments real quick.
    In the meantime, I can't effing wait for the retina iPad mini!!!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 57
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    ash471 wrote: »
    As a patent attorney and inventor, I can assure you that the issue Cook raised is a HUGE problem.  Patent lawsuits are a horrible game of bury the patent holder with endless filings, depositions, summary judgement motions, expert testimony, etc. etc. etc.  Most of the time spent on a patent case has no legitimate purpose other than to waste money and delay.  There are rules that are intended to prevent abuse of the legal system, but they are very difficult to enforce.  

I'm glad to see Cook addressing this issue.  For Apple, the issue is delay, not cost.  However, the same tactics are used to increase cost, which has the effect of preventing small inventors from enforcing their patents and results in patent trolls picking them up for pennies on the dollar.  It is a huge injustice to small inventors and legitimate large companies trying to enforce a patent at a critical juncture in market development. 

I take your points!

But realistically when you need a lawyer...you're already f*cked.

Job's had it right, In tech, you have to be 10 years ahead of everybody else.

To rely on gov. to protect u is a mug's game. Unless, of course, ur big oil, banking or the dairy industry! Or Goldman sucks!
  • Reply 39 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It's an excellent point of Tim's. There's no point having tough IP laws if it takes two years to enforce them, and by then he has a toehold in the market.

• Reply 40 of 57
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Apple has used holding companies, so I don't think they would criticize that specific point without acknowledging their current function.

I've always wondered why those things weren't handled by arbitration.

Arbitration is theoretically possible, but not practical in patent cases.