Half of Apple's MacBook Air lineup now sold out at Amazon ahead of WWDC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder if we'll see the same vitriol from people that such a high resolution and pixel density on a notebook is pointless now that Win PC vendors are starting to catch up with Apple?

Uh, what vitriol was that? The only complaint I ever heard from my PC-addicted friends and business associates was "it's too expensive," which to me was a fair complaint because the initial release was damn expensive much like the original iPhone. I think the majority of the industry on both sides of the Apple/PC fence were happy to see the shift towards higher resolution screens because it's caused a similar shift from HP, Sony, and Toshiba. 1080p is rapidly becoming the entry level resolution, after being stuck at 1384x786 for far too long.

• Reply 22 of 25
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The AIRs have been selling really well. The rMBP aren't selling as well. They may get refreshed but we may also see some heavy discounting of existing stock after WWDC to move old inventory. It is pretty obvious, with at least the 13", that nobody was taking the bait at the price point originally offered thus the attempt a couple of months ago to address pricing and configuration.

I actually think the retina gamble hasn't paid off the way Apple was hoping it would.

Price kept me from initially taking the bait on the 13" rMPB, and the promise of improved graphics performance from Haswell kept my wallet in check even after the price drops. As long as the price stays the same after the refresh, I'll be picking one up when the 2013's drop. Not because of the screen though, because of the weight and form factor. The MBA is nice, but that shallow keyboard kills my fingers.

• Reply 23 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I can't help wondering if they are out because Apple refused to ship more to the channel because of a release. Or out because the channel believes the rumors and hasn't ordered any.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I can't help wondering if they are out because Apple refused to ship more to the channel because of a release. Or out because the channel believes the rumors and hasn't ordered any.

Apple does sometimes cut things close (or the retailer does. it's hard to tell who's at fault here) - presumably because if retailers have a bunch of model x on their shelf when model x + 1 is released, the get upset. However, that has to be balanced by the fact that not having any computers in stock for a time period costs Apple (and the retailer) business. The best example of that is dropping the old iMac before releasing the new one last fall.

ISTM that there are better ways to handle that. Apple could, for example, offer the retailers a slight discount for the computers on their shelf as of the date that model x + 1 is released. It wouldn't have to be much - history shows the even when a new model is released, the price of the previous model doesn't drop much. Or, perhaps Apple could authorize a $100 iTunes gift card to be given away with every previous model sold as of the date of a new model release.

Shortages don't help anyone.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Haswell that ends well, I guess. Can't wait to see what Apple does with the new line. Bet they'll tout the power of the integrated graphics. Hope they don't think they're TOO good and drop dedicated on the 15".

I agree with this completely. I would not buy a rMBP without discrete graphics, instead I'd save up for a Razer Blade.