Dubai hotel provides guests with iMacs, 24-karat gold iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Did they have to pay a license fee to use that Apple trademark apple?

Pay to use an Apple logo on an Apple product?

• Reply 22 of 37
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I doubt Steve Jobs would touch that with a 10 foot pole. I think he'd be pretty revolted actually. 

The hilarious thing is that these aren't even 4th gen iPads. They're 3rd gen. If you're gonna plate something with $10K of gold, you should make sure its the newest model first. 
    Probably to save just a little money, or takes that long to make...
    And since users have their iPad already, what's the point?
    I think the point is if you want to replace your old one, you can with a few extra additions. /s

I don't want to really pay for a golden apple devices really $10000 could be used to buy a upgraded macpro
  • Reply 23 of 37
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Pay to use an Apple logo on an Apple product?

It's custom made and states it comes engraved with, among others, Apple's logo. Figured they may have had to work something out with Apple Inc.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Wow, that's vulgar. 

I'd rather them pay the woman holding it a higher salary.

• Reply 25 of 37
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    If you can afford to stay at the hotel, the $10,000 is pocket change.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Totally off topic, but posted because it's previous gen as well.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Damn the rich these days are tacky!
  • Reply 29 of 37
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    souliisoul wrote: »
    A number of people, who can afford the hotel costs have a lot of brains and have used that to generate their wealth, so stating more money then brains is silly comment.

Yes, a number of people. 2 is a number.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I thought this hotel was "luxurious", why are they offending potential guests by giving them such "cheap" stuff?

?5,000,000.00

£10,000,000.00

• Reply 31 of 37
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

The hotel currently provides customers with a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi third-generation iPad. Guests looking to take the luxury home with them, though, can stop into the Burj's Bespoke Boutique, which has 64GB versions of the device on sale for $10,200.

I looked up the cost of 24K gold plating supplies.  Typical decorative gold plate is about .4 microns thick, and plating something to this thickness uses about 60 cents worth of an immersion gold plating solution per square inch.  So I suspect they're making a profit here!

• Reply 32 of 37
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I looked up the cost of 24K gold plating supplies.  Typical decorative gold plate is about .4 microns thick, and plating something to this thickness uses about 60 cents worth of an immersion gold plating solution per square inch.  So I suspect they're making a profit here!

The Stuart Hughes iPads contain enough solid gold for iPads to weigh between 2 - 2.5kg (4.4 - 5.5 lbs).

• Reply 33 of 37
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Stuart Hughes iPads contain enough solid gold for iPads to weigh between 2 - 2.5kg (4.4 - 5.5 lbs).

3x as much exercise as a regular iPad!

• Reply 34 of 37
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    hill60 wrote: »

This isn't the Stuart Hughes iPad, this is from Gold and Company. Here's the description of their iPad from their website:

The 24-carat Gold Plated iPad is the ultimate in luxury accessories so it’s only natural that we wanted it to be paired with Burj Al Arab, the world’s finest hotel. The symmetry is obvious: Both the Gold Plated iPad and the hotel are unique in terms of quality, mystique and dare we say: Decadence. Quite simply, there is no hotel in the world like the Burj Al Arab and there is no accessory quite like the gold plated iPad. The multi layer 24 carat gold plating breezes past all known quality control checks, just like the Burj Al Arab and soon, we envisage wealthy individuals all over the world clamouring to get their hands on our world class product.

This is a "Gold Plated iPad", with "multiple layers of 24 carat gold". A typical layer is probably .25 microns. Presumably they engrave it before they plate it.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Peeps,

Forget the gold plated iPad...the iPhone with USD14.5M black diamond is really more money then sense..lol

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/04/worlds-most-expensive-smartphone-15m-iphone-has-a-black-diamond/

Edit: Did not see that Hill60 posted the link before..apologies

• Reply 36 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    stephenbw wrote: »
    That's not luxurious, it's just very very tacky.

It is but I don't think these things are always made for style. Buying items made with a certain amount of gold will retain their value, they might even increase in value. Even if the iPad becomes worthless, the gold can be removed from it. It's probably not a good deal today but if you bought one of these in 2001, depending on how much gold it had, it might have been worth 5x the amount in 2011:

http://www.macrotrends.net/1333/gold-and-silver-prices-100-year-historical-chart
  • Reply 37 of 37
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It is but I don't think these things are always made for style. Buying items made with a certain amount of gold will retain their value, they might even increase in value. Even if the iPad becomes worthless, the gold can be removed from it. It's probably not a good deal today but if you bought one of these in 2001, depending on how much gold it had, it might have been worth 5x the amount in 2011:

http://www.macrotrends.net/1333/gold-and-silver-prices-100-year-historical-chart

If you're buying it as a gold investment, I'm confident that you'd be better off buying the same amount of gold and skipping the tablet that will depreciate more rapidly.