Apple: Samsung shirked FRAND obligations, filed suit before making a licensing offer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppleWins

Nevertheless, Apple's recent strategy of "competing by lawsuits" leaves an increasingly sour taste in my mouth.

Especially, when viewed in light of their unwillingness to pay their fair share on taxes.

Shut up and go away.

…I think their current focus on aggressive (and oftentimes unfair) litigation is a mistake which will not benefit them in the long run.

You think protection of intellectual property is bad. Got it.

Other companies not paying their fair share does not make it better for Apple to do so too.

Correct. Except for the part where Apple is paying their share, you liar.

In any case, Samsung is a Korean company, they have no moral obligation to pay US taxes.

… Their operations in the US do, silly-billy. image

How much taxes does Apple pay in Korea?

An amount befitting their operations in South Korea. Obviously. How is that a question?

• Reply 22 of 59
    applewinsapplewins Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Presumably you do realize that this article is about Samsung aggressively pursuing Apple, not the other way around. 

Of course. I just wish Apple never started with this lawsuit fever.

In the interest of consumers and technology progress all software patents should be abolished, for they only benefit a few good-for-nothing CEOs (who stash all their money overseas anyway) and lawyers. 

• Reply 23 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away.

You think protection of intellectual property is bad. Got it.

Correct. Except for the part where Apple is paying their share, you liar.

… Their operations in the US do, silly-billy. image

An amount befitting their operations in South Korea. Obviously. How is that a question?

What's with your rude and bully-like attitude? I have as much right as you to voice my opinion. 

• Reply 24 of 59

Originally Posted by AppleWins View Post

What's with your rude and bully-like attitude?

I don't have to meter my responses anymore. imageimage

I have as much right as you to voice my opinion.

No, you don't. Not when your "opinion" is lies.

• Reply 25 of 59
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Presumably you do realize that this article is about Samsung aggressively pursuing Apple, not the other way around. 

In the interest of consumers and technology progress all software patents should be abolished, for they only benefit a few good-for-nothing CEOs (who stash all their money overseas anyway) and lawyers. 

So you think that Apple started it? And that they should not be able to protect their IP, and in fact that IP should not be protectable if it is software, even if it were expensive to develop and is central to the value of the company's products?

It's not in the interests of consumers or of technology if the removal of IP protection destroys the incentive to invest heavily in R&D.

• Reply 26 of 59
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    applewins wrote: »

Apple never started anything. Samsung started by copying in the first place. Apple responded by suing after attempts to reach a deal failed.

Ban software patents? Should be abolish Google? You do know they were founded on a software patent and wouldn't even exist today if it wasn't for that patent? Right?

Anything else we can clarify for you, troll?
  • Reply 27 of 59
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

"So how much tax does Samsung pay in the US?" What an immature thing to write. Other companies not paying their fair share does not make it better for Apple to do so too. Are we still in Kindergarten?

In any case, Samsung is a Korean company, they have no moral obligation to pay US taxes.

Seeing as how Samsung feels they can freely steal Apple's innovations, for which they have been found guilty, how much tax do they pay in the US or do they disappear offshore with their bounty?

• Reply 28 of 59

Quote:

So you think that Apple started it? And that they should not be able to protect their IP, and in fact that IP should not be protectable if it is software, even if it were expensive to develop and is central to the value of the company's products?

It's not in the interests of consumers or of technology if the removal of IP protection destroys the incentive to invest heavily in R&D.

I don't care who started it.

Many open source projects are equal or better than their commercial counterparts (for example VLC media player, which is better than all commercial players). Therefore, I suspect that this IP protection is not needed and only benefits CEOs and lawyers.

• Reply 29 of 59

Therefore, I suspect that this IP protection is not needed and only benefits CEOs and lawyers.

So you'd be the first in line demanding Google to release their search algorithms, then, hmm?

Or, rather, when someone infiltrates the company and steals it, Google shouldn't be able to protect itself and its property?

• Reply 30 of 59
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">"So how much tax does Samsung pay in the US?" </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">What an immature thing to write. Other companies not paying their fair share does not make it better for Apple to do so too. Are we still in Kindergarten?</span>

Apple paid $6 billion in US taxes. As you say, Apple does not have the moral obligation outside the US.
  • Reply 31 of 59

Quote:

Quote:

Many open source projects are equal or better than their commercial counterparts (for example VLC media player, which is better than all commercial players). Therefore, I suspect that this IP protection is not needed and only benefits CEOs and lawyers.

Except that you said exactly that you wish Apple had not started it, so you are contradicting yourself now. And if you prefer open source solutions, why, exactly, are you a "long-time Apple fan"?

• Reply 32 of 59

Quote:

Except that you said exactly that you wish Apple had not started it, so you are contradicting yourself now. And if you prefer open source solutions, why, exactly, are you a "long-time Apple fan"?

Our beloved Apple might have not have started it, but they increasingly rely on it as business strategy.

Nowadays, many people when they think "Apple" they think "lawsuit", sadly.

I don't understand your second sentence, why wouldn't I be able to run open source on my mac?

• Reply 33 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you'd be the first in line demanding Google to release their search algorithms, then, hmm?

Or, rather, when someone infiltrates the company and steals it, Google shouldn't be able to protect itself and its property?

Yes, all software patents should be abolished for the greater good, including Google's.

• Reply 34 of 59

Quote:

Quote:

Our beloved Apple might have not have started it, but they increasingly rely on it as business strategy.

It is certainly one of their business strategies to tackle IP theft.

Quote:

I don't understand your second sentence, why wouldn't I be able to run open source on my mac?

I see - so you don't run OS X. Fair enough, but I would say there is no chance that Apple would even be in business today if they had not had the advantage of their operating system and associated software infrastructure. And why would you even buy Apple hardware if you are just booting it into Linux or whatever? There are much cheaper options.

• Reply 35 of 59

Yes, all software patents should be abolished for the greater good, including Google's.

I couldn't agree more. Software Patents are unenforcable and just pure poppy-cock. (This coming from a software developer.) But, that isn't the cae now, so no use crying over spilt milk. Apple is defending is its proprietary Hardware and the Software it created. Samesung has certain things it put out there as FRAND, and has violated the terms of FRAND; not to mention the numerous occasions it has jst all-out stole from other corporations.

To put this in easy terms: Show me one thing Apple stole from Samsung. Now try to find 10 things Samsung didn't steal from someone else.

Also, not to just bash you around or anything, but I had to say something about this as well. You have every right to be able to voice your opinion. Don't let anyone (even Tallest Skil :D ) take that away from you. That said, you don't have the right to commit Libel (libel, n. defamation: a false and malicious published statement that damages somebody's reputation.) about Apple's practices. Yes, they paid only (really, only!?) 6 billion dollars. Yes, I think they should have paid more. That said, they followed the laws as they are written, and paid only what they had to as according to the tax code. You shouldn't be pissed at Apple (and every other large corporation) because they followed the rules; you should be pissed at the Representatives and Senators who put those loopholes in there in the first place.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

So why did that French software hippy demand VLC iOS version be removed from the App store?

Oh, yeah IP protection.

• Reply 37 of 59

Quote:

Longtime Apple fan here.

Nevertheless, Apple's recent strategy of "competing by lawsuits" leaves an increasingly sour taste in my mouth.

Especially, when viewed in light of their unwillingness to pay their fair share on taxes.

I sure wish the Apple of old back.

You must be joking. When you say "pay their fair share on taxes", how much is that? They have paid what is required by law. IRS agents are permanently stationed at Apple and as Tim Cook told Congress, Apple is under a perpetual on-site IRS audit and everything they do gets IRS approval. So you are saying their "fair share" is more than the law requires? When was the last time you "paid your fair share" by paying the IRS more than the law required? Did you send them a tip, a bonus, or a "here you go just for the heck of it" check?

Get real and stop living in an alternate reality. You're also saying that a corporation has no right to defend its intellectual property? If not sue, how are they supposed to do it? In your world, Apple invents stuff that others steal, shouldn't hold anyone accountable, and should pay the IRS more than it is legally required. I can imagine that any business you run would be OUT of business within 6 months.

• Reply 38 of 59

Quote:

This is not a business strategy for Apple. A business strategy leads to a bigger business and higher profit. Suing companies is not profitable. Apple does it because it is the RIGHT thing to do when something you invented and were granted a patent for is stolen. You should be standing first in line to support a domestic, American success story protect its intellectual property from theft by a Korean company. I guess you have no allegiance.

• Reply 39 of 59
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Business strategy? Please look up how much profit they made last qtr/year ( revenue was $156 billion in FY12). Even if Apple won all its lawsuits, it wouldn't amount to much compare with its main business strategy.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    muppetry wrote: »
    But wait - he can't be a troll - he says that he's an Apple fan.

Exactly, it's even in his user name.