Judge says evidence will likely show Apple culpable in e-book price fixing case

123457»

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jragosta wrote: »
    So?

    Your article says that judges have the authority to comment on the evidence. That's certainly true - and happens all the time. That's not at all what we're talking about here.

    Judges do NOT have the right to prejudge the conclusions - which is what this judge did. See the link I provided.

    I don't see any evidence that she pre-judged. For that to happen she'd have to say "Apple is guilty" or "Apple is not guilty." Anything less is just commentary.
  • Reply 122 of 136
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,223member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post



    No wonder the American legal system is in trouble.


    I think the phrase "American legal system" is increasingly oxymoronic.

  • Reply 123 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't see any evidence that she pre-judged. For that to happen she'd have to say "Apple is guilty" or "Apple is not guilty." Anything less is just commentary.

    "Judge Denise Cote said the U.S Department of Justice will likely be able to prove that Apple colluded with major book publishers to falsely inflate the prices of e-books sold through the iBookstore."

    If that's not pre-judging, I don't know what is.
  • Reply 124 of 136
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    "Judge Denise Cote said the U.S Department of Justice will likely be able to prove that Apple colluded with major book publishers to falsely inflate the prices of e-books sold through the iBookstore."



    If that's not pre-judging, I don't know what is.


     


    "Falsely inflate"?


     


    Removing a discount is falsely inflating, now, is it?


     


    That means any seller of anything who offers a discount is now guilty of "price fixing" if they remove it.


     


    America is so f*cked up.

  • Reply 125 of 136
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    Based on what? The fact that you are a Tim Cook pants dweller and that Apple can do no wrong? Apple is not your friend or the friend of anyone. They are as evil and greedy as Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Nokia, etc... The moment you wake up to understand this, the better for you and your ill-informed comments.
    That is to F**kin much. Lol. Pants dweller. Ahhahaha. Ah sh*t that was funny.
  • Reply 126 of 136
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post



    That is to F**kin much. Lol. Pants dweller. Ahhahaha. Ah sh*t that was funny.


     


    Almost as funny as having a girl's name when you're a boy, eh?


     


    And I think the '69' in your handle gave away your exact level of maturity and what would amuse you.


     


    image

  • Reply 127 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hill60 wrote: »
    "Falsely inflate"?

    Removing a discount is falsely inflating, now, is it?

    That means any seller of anything who offers a discount is now guilty of "price fixing" if they remove it.

    America is so f*cked up.

    That's not what it says.

    Inflating prices is perfectly legal. Discounting is perfectly legal. Neither one is price fixing.

    The key part of her statement was the collusion part. It may well be just as illegal to conspire to reduced prices as it is to increase prices. It's the collusion that's illegal - not the price you choose.
  • Reply 128 of 136
    rigelianrigelian Posts: 44member
    isteelers wrote: »
    No kidding Apple will be found guilty. The government needs money and Apple has it. They always get what they want one way or another. If they can't get to Apple via the IRS then they will get it through other channels. Apple should have given more to the lobbyists and this would not have happened.

    This truly is silly. The DOJ did not seek money damages in the previous consent decrees against the other publishers. What the government sought was a consent that ended all the price fixing. An example of the consents that was signed can be found here. http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f291000/291018.pdf
  • Reply 129 of 136
    hill60 wrote: »
    The price of the equivalent paperback books, $12.99 which were selling in those dead things once known as book stores.
    Bookstores are FAR from dead Hill60. They may not be as popular as they once were but there are MANY people, myself included, who prefer print media over ebooks and there are plenty of places to get them.

    Yes we're probably dinosaurs but even the LP isn't dead despite the doom-sayers.
  • Reply 130 of 136
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    rigelian wrote: »
    This truly is silly. The DOJ did not seek money damages in the previous consent decrees against the other publishers. What the government sought was a consent that ended all the price fixing. An example of the consents that was signed can be found here. http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f291000/291018.pdf

    Did you not read this?

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/22/penguin-agrees-to-75m-settlement-in-apple-ibooks-price-fixing-lawsuit
  • Reply 131 of 136
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    gtr wrote: »
    Almost as funny as having a girl's name when you're a boy, eh?

    And I think the '69' in your handle gave away your exact level of maturity and what would amuse you.

    ;)
  • Reply 132 of 136
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    kimk69 wrote: »
    Oooh that hurts. Hahahahaha
    And that's the year I was born. I guess the people that know me understand. Buts that post is still funny as sh*t.
  • Reply 133 of 136
    rigelianrigelian Posts: 44member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

    Sure i read that no money is going to the federal government for the lawsuit that it brought. Now if you're suggesting that the DOJ is bringing lawsuits so that state attorneys and private plaintiffscan bring their own lawsuit that is a bit far fetched. So no my statement remains unchainged.
  • Reply 134 of 136
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,748member
    A reminder for anyone interested: The trial starts tomorrow so watch for a plethora of articles over the next few days.
  • Reply 135 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    A reminder for anyone interested: The trial starts tomorrow so watch for a plethora of [arguments] over the next few days.

    Fixed that for you. :D
  • Reply 136 of 136
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,748member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. :D

    Thanks! Much better.8-)
Sign In or Register to comment.